Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I went to start the car and accidentally tried to insert the fob from my other non-Porsche sedan. Obviously, it didn't work and I realized I had grabbed the wrong fob. (Both fobs are black and the same size.). I got my Porsche fob and it would not go into the key slot ... not even close. I was able to push my finger in, so there doesn't seem to be an obstruction. I had a meeting, so had no time to try anything else, but did notice that the trunk was open when I got out of the car.

I won't be home until tonight, but can't stop thinking about this. Oddly, the other day the car didn't respond to my turning the key to start it. I attributed that to not depressing the clutch fully, but now I wonder if something in the ignition switch has failed. Has anyone even heard of the fob not going into the ignition key slot?

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
The first thing that I would do is to check the battery in your fob. Hopefully your battery is either very low or dead. Since you have two fobs, try the fob that is your spare.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My local mechanic just came over and figured it out. First he looked for error codes and found none. There are two slots on either side of the fob that engage a corresponding pair of tines inside the ignition slot. He saw that the tines were stuck in their extended position, which was blocking the fob. Somehow he was able to move those tines back to their correct position and everything's working normally again. The incorrect fob apparently tripped whatever springs hold those tines and locked them in an extended position.

Turned out to be a cheap repair with no damage to the car. I was already having visions of flatbedding the car back to my dealer ... who is an almost three hour drive away.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally had a chance to speak with my mechanic and got the full explanation as to what actually happened. Apparently when I accidentally inserted the wrong fob, the ignition cylinder turned slightly to the right. That engaged the fob locks. The wrong fob slipped out easily, but the ignition cylinder was still turned slightly to the right.

He was able to exert enough pressure with just his fingers to get the cylinder to move slightly back to the left ... enough that he heard the locking mechanism unlock. That was it ... everything is back to normal.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Finally had a chance to speak with my mechanic and got the full explanation as to what actually happened. Apparently when I accidentally inserted the wrong fob, the ignition cylinder turned slightly to the right. That engaged the fob locks. The wrong fob slipped out easily, but the ignition cylinder was still turned slightly to the right.

He was able to exert enough pressure with just his fingers to get the cylinder to move slightly back to the left ... enough that he heard the locking mechanism unlock. That was it ... everything is back to normal.
The advantage that the tech had is that he understood how the locking mechanism worked. I know that in the old days when we had a key, it was strictly mechanical. With fobs I thought that there may have been an electrical handshake between the fob and the ignition lock cylinder which could have prevented the complete fob insertion if the handshake wasn't successful. Since the tech initially looked for error codes, maybe there is some type of handshake. Anyway it seems like you got a good tech, since I have to believe this was the first time that he encountered a problem like this. Typically the techs of today are lost without error codes to guide them. :)

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The advantage that the tech had is that he understood how the locking mechanism worked. I know that in the old days when we had a key, it was strictly mechanical. With fobs I thought that there may have been an electrical handshake between the fob and the ignition lock cylinder which could have prevented the complete fob insertion if the handshake wasn't successful. Since the tech initially looked for error codes, maybe there is some type of handshake. Anyway it seems like you got a good tech, since I have to believe this was the first time that he encountered a problem like this. Typically the techs of today are lost without error codes to guide them. :)
Very true. The impressive thing, is that the tech is not a Porsche mechanic. He and his brother run a small local shop. I like the guy because he always does his research, and is like a bulldog finding solutions to problems. I trust him completely. BTW ... he refused to charge me for this house call. ����

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Very true. The impressive thing, is that the tech is not a Porsche mechanic. He and his brother run a small local shop. I like the guy because he always does his research, and is like a bulldog finding solutions to problems. I trust him completely. BTW ... he refused to charge me for this house call. ����
WOW. Sounds like he's a mechanic from the ole school. You are very, very fortunate to have someone like him to go to. There aren't many of these guys around anymore.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW. Sounds like he's a mechanic from the ole school. You are very, very fortunate to have someone like him to go to. There aren't many of these guys around anymore.
He's young, very tech savvy, and very honest. He loves and lives cars, and races stock cars professionally. He recently ordered and installed my Michelin PS4 tires. His price beat the online guys. When he was doing the balance weights, he slipped and put a tiny mark on one wheel. I never would have noticed it, but he pointed it out, explained what happened, and is ordering paint so he can repair that tiny ding at his expense. That's honest.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
He's young, very tech savvy, and very honest. He loves and lives cars, and races stock cars professionally. He recently ordered and installed my Michelin PS4 tires. His price beat the online guys. When he was doing the balance weights, he slipped and put a tiny mark on one wheel. I never would have noticed it, but he pointed it out, explained what happened, and is ordering paint so he can repair that tiny ding at his expense. That's honest.
Around ten years ago I took my wife's Audi S4 in for a tire replacement. Her car was absolutely pristine. When I picked the car up I noticed that two of the wheels were damaged. I immediately pointed this out to the Service Advisor, and he contacted the tech who said that the wheels were damaged before he touched the car. I of course escalated the issue to the Service Manager, and after about an hour of discussion he agreed to some small concession which was far from satisfactory. Bottom line is that they denied that the wheel damage was caused by the wheel balancing machine. So I took the wheels to the Ole Wheel Shop for repair, and asked the tech at the shop what he thought caused the damage to the wheels. He smiled and immediately said that it was caused by improper use of the wheel balancing machine,f and that he saw similar damage on many wheels in the past few years.

So it's refreshing to read about an incident where someone is honest. I don't see that too often in the car business.

·
Registered
832 Posts
@fast1: A very good point! And this is why it is a good idea when one drops off there car at the dealer, or anywhere else, that you accompany the person who does the walk around to note what is and what is not currently damaged. In my experience tire dealers never do a walk around. But based on your experience I will now insist on it. i.e. "Please note that my wheels are flawless". Anyway thanks for the input!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.