Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I generally listen to music via my iPhone on the bluetooth connection...

but this weekend, I charged up my old iPod classic 160gb...... and plugged it up to the car via the USB cable.

even thought it is very old, the iPod connected and showed the Porsche logo on the screen of the iPod.

music played well, but there is no way to pause the music.

I can skip to the next track using the (>) button near the volume knob.....

the iPod controls are frozen out.

wish there was someway on the touch screen to hit pause

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried to push the volume knob? It does mute the sound, but might as well pause the track..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it does mute the sound, but doesn't pause the track

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
A quick press of the Volume knob will pause playback.

Wow, so while I went to go double check before posting that it doesn't just mute, but actually pauses playback (it pauses for me) you already got a reply and you responded.

Odd that for you it doesn't pause.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will check it again.....

thanks for checking on your car.

I probably won't use this old iPod that much as navigating 160g of music on the touch screen isn't the best.

I haven't used this iPod in years, but went to a run of Widespread Panic shows this weekend and wanted to bust out all the old bootlegs from college

·
Registered
89 Posts
I will check it again.....

thanks for checking on your car.

I probably won't use this old iPod that much as navigating 160g of music on the touch screen isn't the best.

I haven't used this iPod in years, but went to a run of Widespread Panic shows this weekend and wanted to bust out all the old bootlegs from college
I trust you've got the PCM unit? Try downloading your tunes to the PCM HD, makes it easier to manage through PCM/or TFT Cluster in the dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I love mine (upgraded classic with a 240GB HD) and while not the best way to navigate a ton of music, Porsche's touch screen interface is miles better than a recent Ford rental I had...
With playlists, it's a dream, and kicking in the jump by alphabet letter via the tuning knob makes things pretty easy to browse. I just it remembered when I back out of listening to an album that I may still want to listen to the same artist. It unfortunately always goes back to the top.

I tried the PCM unit (I transferred some music so I can always have something in case of emergency) and it's pretty archaic to me. I do like to control my iPod though through he TFT though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all these tips folks!

I think I may end up keeping the old iPod in the glove and always charged up. I could never listen to all the music on there anyway

but the best part of all this - got to an amazing run of WSP shows. I followed them around in college, so was a flashback for me..... even broke out the hippie overalls I wore on WSP tour in college.... and they fit :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
My iPods (usually) pause when I hit the volume button.

I'm relatively surprised the iPod classic worked at all. They never got updated and the software fell behind the equivalent nano versions quite a while ago. The USB audio functions were quite a late addition to the software.

Standard troubleshooting: Try updating your iPod to the latest. Try rebooting your iPod (middle and up buttons held down I think). Try rebooting the PCM (hold the volume button until it goes off, then push again).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread, sorry, but I use the iPod classic as well since it's the only thing that can hold all my music. Mine pauses when the volume knob is pressed to mute, but if I stop the car and then start it again, playback resumes, but is still muted (thus losing your "place" in your playlist or selection if you don't notice it). Does anyone know if there's an update to PCM that might help with this? It's quite annoying. My Mercedes handled the iPod much better I must say.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
My car is similar. If you only mute the PCM (any source), it turns back on when restarting the car. But it's not muted, like yours; it sounds at the volume previously chosen. If you don't want it to play when restarting, you have to turn PCM off by holding the volume button for a couple of seconds. Then it'd still be off when restarting. German idiosyncrasy;).

·
Registered
848 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread, sorry, but I use the iPod classic as well since it's the only thing that can hold all my music. Mine pauses when the volume knob is pressed to mute, but if I stop the car and then start it again, playback resumes, but is still muted (thus losing your "place" in your playlist or selection if you don't notice it).
Mine does that. I hate it, I've been thinking of posting that in the hate/dislike thread.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just noticed that same issue with my new CGTS. No big deal with music, but could be for an audiobook. Weird programming.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I can't pause the music either with PSE. Thank goodness. One of the many reasons why I love the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts