Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this last week in "what did you do to your 987 today"....but, I think that forum gets so busy that it may not have been noticed by some folks interested in these exhaust mods. So, I am reposting here for anyone interested. If this is not allowed by forum rules I apologize and please delete. Mike

UPDATE ON CANTRELL AND DREAM 2: I have driven about 200 miles on my 08 Cayman S since my Cantrell Motorsports prepped exhaust (Carnewal process) with the DREAM 2 tips have been installed. I am extremely pleased. after about 100 miles as others have reported, the sounds has changed to a little more deep and refined tone. The car sounds amazing; like it has a larger motor than it does. I would not want it any louder and it now sounds like a true Porsche engine. I felt that the car was just too quiet when I first got it. It's quite enough (except when warming up and it's super loud for about 3 to 5 minutes) for neighborhood driving to not piss anyone off where I live, and if you get on it and run the RPM's up it sounds like a beast. I really like the fact that it is a stock set up in case some smog shop wants to give me grief.

I took the car and new units to a local exhaust shop. The owner's son did not want to work on a Porsche (I think they do mostly pick up trucks and muscle cars). However, the owner came out and said he was glad to do it and would do it himself. I let them keep it overnight to soak the bolts. They even boxed up the stock exhaust for shipping without me asking. They charged me 300 bucks, which I thought was kind of on the high side, but, I was glad to not have to crawl around under it was jack stands. So, for me it was worth it.

As to the DREAM 2; the finish was not quite as nice as I would have hoped. There were a couple of nicks on the tips in the ceramic finish. The installer put the tips with the openings level...but, after I looked at it for a few minutes at home, I did not like how they sit in the opening (too low). I loosened the bolts and pushed them up then tightened and they look much better now. However, the DREAM 2 is not in my opinion really designed to look right with 987.1 exhaust opening as the tips are not cut at an angle, so they look like they are slightly pointing at an up angle. Once I pushed them up, I was not able to see the blem in the finish. I took a can of flat black BBQ paint and masked off the tips, and car. I then put a couple of coats of paint inside the tip openings as looking at the bright silver inside was also weird. Once I did that, they really looked like they belong on the car. Now, I am very pleased with them. Don't get me wrong, I think the DREAM 2 is a good product and well constructed. I just want to relay my experience so others can make a good choice.

I have noticed a 2 MPG increase in milage...however, I have been driving fairly spirited and expect that to increase when the novelty of the new sound wears off. I drove with the Redwood Chapter of PCA on last Saturday and we had a very "spirited" drive...much more so than I would have expected through the coastal roads of Marin County. It was a beautiful day and 30 Porsches roaring through the countryside was awesome! I was listening to my Cayman vs some of the others that were close to mine in vintage and I have to say it sounds like I have done an engine swap next to a stock Cayman.

I think the exhaust is a great mod, and Cantrell was easy to deal with. I ordered it online...and a week later it was at my house. Next day I had it installed and shipped the old uint back. Two days after I shipped the old one back, I had my 500 dollar core charge back in my account. Awesome. I only have one gripe...and it's really a non-issue...the exhaust I received was much older looking than mine. Mine looked brand new as it was a very babied car from the bay area CA and no snow or anything. The one I got was much darker and stained. You can't really see it too much, but, it did kind of bug me. However, the sound and increase in performance was well worth it. Had I been able to do it at home, it would have been worth it to send in my unit. On the DREAM 2, I almost think it needs a little more back pressure. So, maybe the DREAM 1 would have been a better choice. I am not going to switch it out and am still pleased as all get out especially given the price point of the DREAM over other products. Once installed and painted black on the inside, you just assume it's stock and carbon coated and don't really give it a second look. I just wanted to provide what my real experiences were with the two products. Would I do it again? Yes. No hesitation; best bang for the buck hands down on both. Mike IMG_20150226_183534117.jpg IMG_20150226_183534117.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had mine installed at the Cantrell shop over a month ago. Every morning at startup it sounded loud, nasty and unrefined. It has since settled down and now starts up with a loud growl. Driving around town it's well behaved. Mash the accelerator from a standing start and it screams. You couldn't wipe the smile off my face if you tried.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
+1 on the Cantrell/ Dream 2 Combination. I have had mine for 10,000+ miles. The sound is intoxicating.

You could consider a flash to take advantage of the freer exhaust flow. I used Open Flash Tablet. The tune takes advantage of the expa flow, remapping the entire fueling and and exhaust spectrum. No dyno runs. My butt dyno tells me not a huge advance in RWHP but response at the wheels is nuts. The car jumps at the throttle and sounds like a proper flat six. BTW, Shiv at OFT has been great to work with.

Enjoy the new sound.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I chatted w/ Mike via email and was very excited to Carnewal my 987.1 but unfortunately for me in the late stages of the 986 and early stages of the 987.1 they used a spot-welded versus crimped muffler. Some late 2003 986s, most 2004 986s, and some early 2005 987.1s (both Base and S models) are affected. Justin at Cantrell Motorsport said I wouldn't know until the exhaust was pulled off but as I see now the spot welds are also on the bottom (road facing) side as well. I wanted a better sound (and if there was some butt hp increase that was OK too) and the Carnewal is beloved on the other side of the pond, so I was extremely disappointed. Carnewal at $650 + shipping is much less expensive (and still OEM) than any other option. I took a picture of the spot welds on the bottom of the muffler that disqualify it for the Carnewal decat.

MufflerII.JPG

·
Registered
84 Posts
You could also just pay a local muffler guy to cut it open, de-cat it, and weld it back. Nothing magic happening there!

·
Registered
287 Posts
You could also just pay a local muffler guy to cut it open, de-cat it, and weld it back. Nothing magic happening there!
Think that maybe only applies to 987.1s, afaik 987.2s don't have cats post headers.

On another note, surprised no one has said this thread is worthless without videos!

Here are a couple clips with the Carnewal (modified by Cantrell) Cayman R exhaust on my 2.9 987.2

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4j6m91pyh95d9x/CarnewalExhaustCayman2.9.mp4?dl=0[/video]

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0hguy8xs0flxmt/20140705_195842.mp4?dl=0[/video]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Maybe I'm confused then. I thought the Carnewal mod was just a stock exhaust decat. Is there something else they are doing?

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Maybe I'm confused then. I thought the Carnewal mod was just a stock exhaust decat. Is there something else they are doing?
Tis true, but if they can't get to the aft cats without destroying your muffler then you're SOL and looking at @ $2k for a great option (FS/B&B/Borla/Brombacher/AWE). There are cheaper options but these 5 seem to be very satisfactory upgrades. Anyways, it got me under my BS so I had a chance to once over the leakage situation (thankfully none). Ended up removing both headers because I was heavy handed on the muffler bolts. No amount of PB Blaster can overcome basic mechanical ineptitude. Got SS bolts to put it all back together, waiting patiently as my Brombacher Sound exhaust arrives 3/11.

Will post vid and pics after I install.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Can't believe it's been 8 months but put on the FVD Sound Muffler late March and absolutely love the tone. No drone at 2-3kRPM my BS now howls at WOT. Had a minor fitment issue, FVD totally backed me up. Very satisfied with the Brombacher! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlQyIFM1Res (Skip to 1:30-ish to hear the first two good pulls)

·
Registered
213 Posts
It is not ONLY a secondary de-cat on the 987.1. They also change the flow of the muffler. You can still have this done at a local muffler shop though if they are willing. I am still planning on doing this along with a DREAM 1 style tip and a couple of other exhaust tweaks but just have not had time to mess with it. Maybe after autocross season ends in December I will do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts