Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to pre order my roll bar and Recaro Racing seats. If you have ever sat in a true race seat you would toss rocks at the Carbon seats.
The Pro-fi seat is still somewhat streetable, actually breathes a bit and holds you in place WAY better than the carbon seats. Oh and at a fraction of the carbon seat cost.
I will admit that those carbon seats do have HUGE COOL Factor though! If I had no intention of tracking my car I would have gone with them for sure.
Mine will be a track Rat tho.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
I decided to pre order my roll bar and Recaro Racing seats. If you have ever sat in a true race seat you would toss rocks at the Carbon seats.
The Pro-fi seat is still somewhat streetable, actually breathes a bit and holds you in place WAY better than the carbon seats. Oh and at a fraction of the carbon seat cost.
I will admit that those carbon seats do have HUGE COOL Factor though! If I had no intention of tracking my car I would have gone with them for sure.
Mine will be a track Rat tho.
Nice set up. I don't disagree with you that true race seats are better for track work than LWB's but I'll counter that for most of us the GT4 will be a street car first and an occasional track car. For folks like me, the airbags in the LWB's more than offset the additional support of race seats and are worth every penny.

Look forward to your reports once you get your car. Happy, safe miles.

·
Registered
540 Posts
=Da Hapa;970608]Nice set up. I don't disagree with you that true race seats are better for track work than LWB's but I'll counter that for most of us the GT4 will be a street car first and an occasional track car. For folks like me, the airbags in the LWB's more than offset the additional support of race seats and are worth every penny.
+1 even if I tracked my GT4 80% of the time the airbags sure would come in handy when it counts the most ! Especially as low as the GT4 sits..... a side door impact would be brutal.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My car will be predominantly used as a track car, thats why I ordered the clubsport package, however I wouldn't replace the original LWB with aftermarket for the same reason stated above (plus you can't not love the cool factor).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Such different approaches by all. So cool!
My airbags will ALL be disabled once I receive the car. I want no explosive devices in my car :)
I truly believe airbags were designed for those who choose not to wear their seat belts. How many racers use them?
No need for them IMHO with 6 pt belts and a HANS when on track. I will regularly use the 6 pt belts on the street as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I still didn't install the 6 pt harness I received with the car.. how practical is it for driving on the street? Seems like a pain, especially when you're dressed for work

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Just my opinion and judgement - for the street I would only use the factory 3pt belt/ airbags. It's a "system" that is carefully designed and tested. The belt has designed slack and a pyrotechnic tensioner. The airbag cushions any impact forward. The airbags are designed to work in conjunction with the belt. Not intended to prevent injury of driver not wearing the belt.

I would not use 6 pt harness on the street. If they are tight enough to hold the driver in place in an impact then the neck and skull base are exposed. granted you would not have the helmet weight but still seems like a risk to me. I would only ever use 6 pts with a hans device and only on track.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good points but I just am spoiled by being held in position I guess. Its so much fun to manipulate the chassis when you dont have to manage your body movement.
I always wore harnesses in my crazy lotus and LOVED it! Top speed was quite dissapointing in the car tho

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
The airbag cushions any impact forward.
The true purpose of the main frontal airbag is to act as a sort of HANS device, minimizing how far your neck extends in a major collision and thereby helping prevent basilar skull fractures. Any cushioning it provides is incidental (they're not that soft when you hit them, BTW).

My airbags will ALL be disabled once I receive the car. I want no explosive devices in my car :)
I truly believe airbags were designed for those who choose not to wear their seat belts. How many racers use them?
No need for them IMHO with 6 pt belts and a HANS when on track. I will regularly use the 6 pt belts on the street as well.
Obviously, if you're in a 6-point harness and wearing a HANS device, a front airbag is redundant. I'd still be keen to have the protection provided by the knee airbag, for instance and certainly the side airbags. Non-roll-cage-equipped cars don't have a lot of crush space to the sides.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Good points but I just am spoiled by being held in position I guess. Its so much fun to manipulate the chassis when you dont have to manage your body movement.
I always wore harnesses in my crazy lotus and LOVED it! Top speed was quite dissapointing in the car tho

Is that an Elise you modded, seem to recall seeing it on the lotusforum?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
That was me :)
It was a long process. When I sold it the new owner asked that I remove the thread from the Lotusforum.
I just could never get past the build quality of the Lotus' save the chassis(wonderful piece of engineering!).
After selling it I got a CaymanR on the same day that I was about to get an Exige. The CaymanR was the right move. I was so taken by the lightness of all of the Loti but horrible build quality and quality of stock parts!!
I was never a fan of the Lotus/Toyota deal...

·
Registered
866 Posts
It was a long process. When I sold it the new owner asked that I remove the thread from the Lotusforum.
I just could never get past the build quality of the Lotus' save the chassis(wonderful piece of engineering!).
After selling it I got a CaymanR on the same day that I was about to get an Exige. The CaymanR was the right move. I was so taken by the lightness of all of the Loti but horrible build quality and quality of stock parts!!

For me it was just too small of a car, I was not willing to go as far as you! hehe! As far as build quality, yea.. could never figure that part out, like a kit car. Chassis however is an amazing piece of kit!
Sold both my Elise and Exige... man.. hinsight baby, had an original 7K mile non supercharged Exige... That aside, yea, Cayman R is the way to go, little bigger, longer wheelbase and a bit friendlier to drive!

Cheers!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Funny. Had an mildly modded Elise R, followed by an Evora S, build quality was horrible, now I'm a Cayman R owner :drivingskid:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have done the same - Cantrell roll bar and OMP WRC seats (in carbon, to save a little weight) and have had them upholstered in leather on the bolsters and alcantara on the inside - I will post pictures when they arrive. I couldnt wait for the LWB's and as I will be using my car as track only, it probably the better route anyway.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The LWB's are really cool but not very good track seats. When you have to ask someone to help you get out of your seat, that'a a great track car seat!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is great! I really and truly bought the Lotus because I had once said "if Lotus ever brings the Elise to the US I will buy one as a show of support for the Light car movement

1 - 20 of 21 Posts