Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The exhaust is being retrofitted as I speak. However, right now, it seems that utilizing the remote control to switch between Cruise and Sport mode isn't changing anything. It's visually noticeable that the Capristo control box is switching between the 2 modes though, as I have not covered up the boot panel yet so as to monitor it. Problem is, the valves are not opening as there's no discernible difference when switching between the 2 at idle. Am wondering if it's any problems with the actuator valve (not too sure if it's called that) or some other vacuum valve since when it's physically manipulated at idle, it can be audibly ascertained that the valves have opened. Wondering if anyone has come across similar teething problems?

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,319 Posts
I don't have a Capristo, but my understanding of the Sport vs. Cruise mode was that in Sport the system would open with lighter throttle inputs. Sport mode is not 'Open' mode. So you may not notice a difference at idle.

There are two members here who have custom one off control circuits for the Capristo. K-Man S has the first. I built a circuit for him that switches his system to full open when he activates his Sport Chrono Sport Mode, and drops it back to Cruise mode when he goes back to SC Normal.

Another member has one that toggles between Cruise & Sport mode with the SC Sport button. His system can also be configured to toggle between Cruise and Open mode.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comments Gator. A quick shout out to you for posting the exhaust shoot out video online; pretty much sealed my decision as to which exhaust I was gonna go for.

Ok, now I'm a little lost. So there are 3 modes I gather? Cruise mode, where it's just like stock except that the valves open much later and only upon much load; Sport mode, where the valves open easier and earlier upon much lesser load; and Fully open mode where the valves are open all the time, even at idle? Getting a little confused here!

Would hope for some Capristo users to chime in. At different modes, with Cruise mode and Sport mode engaged, does the little boxes in the illustration show [][] always or do they show [][] as in the former being two empty boxes vs the latter which would be two shaded boxes. Mine is showing the former in both modes. Also, there's also an indication of (numerical value) m bar showing as well in both modes. Am thinking of there's any configuration to be done there as well.

That aside, have also noticed that upon acceleration and the weight of my right foot on the accelerator, there seems to be a constant mechanical whining akin to that of a bicycle chain turning between the rpm range of 1500 to say 2300 (estimated). Was wondering if any other capristo users get that as well, and is that a result of sounds coming from the valves or something similar.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Not exactly sure what you're meaning with the [].

Unless you go open you won't notice a difference in modes at idle or even driving with a light foot as the system won't open the valves. In the default cruise mode the valves open later and close sooner. Sport mode opens earlier and stays open longer when letting up on the gas.

Opening is controlled by exhaust pressure not rpm so it is sensitive to load as opposed to engine speed. A read in the article section on the new control box might help.

It's been a while since I did the install but IIRC the new control box will display exhaust pressure and will also show cruise, sport or open when changing modes. Mine's buried behind the carpet so not easy to check.

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Ah, that means I may have a skewed impression of what Sports mode is supposed to do! So would that mean I am able to program one more mode to the system, i.e. an always open mode?
You can program cruise mode, you can program sport mode. For each of these there are various settings such as when the valves open, how long they stay open, when they close etc.

For the OPEN mode, the valves are always open regardless of how you drive, they only close when either you exit the OPEN mode by going back to cruise or sport mode, or when you shut the car off. You cannot program OPEN mode AFAIK, it is simply OPEN, but you can program the other two.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
The exhaust is being retrofitted as I speak. However, right now, it seems that utilizing the remote control to switch between Cruise and Sport mode isn't changing anything. It's visually noticeable that the Capristo control box is switching between the 2 modes though, as I have not covered up the boot panel yet so as to monitor it. Problem is, the valves are not opening as there's no discernible difference when switching between the 2 at idle. Am wondering if it's any problems with the actuator valve (not too sure if it's called that) or some other vacuum valve since when it's physically manipulated at idle, it can be audibly ascertained that the valves have opened. Wondering if anyone has come across similar teething problems?
In idle the valves wont change from cruise/sport mode.
Select open mode during idle and you should see/hear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! It was a misconception on my part that led to me thinking that the system wasn't installed properly.

From factory, the electronics are programmed such that the system cannot stay in OPEN mode. Hence, it was needed to enter the setup of the system to enable OPEN mode, thus allowing OPEN mode to be engaged by holding on to the SPORT button for more than 2 seconds.

Problem solved, thanks for the input guys, apologies for my selfpwn questions.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Thanks guys! It was a misconception on my part that led to me thinking that the system wasn't installed properly.

From factory, the electronics are programmed such that the system cannot stay in OPEN mode. Hence, it was needed to enter the setup of the system to enable OPEN mode, thus allowing OPEN mode to be engaged by holding on to the SPORT button for more than 2 seconds.

Problem solved, thanks for the input guys, apologies for my selfpwn questions.
No problem.

So you are going to run open mode at 6000RPM down Orchard Road at 1am?? ;)
Man That would be so COOOL. :hilarious:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No problem.

So you are going to run open mode at 6000RPM down Orchard Road at 1am?? ;)
Man That would be so COOOL. :hilarious:
Haha, too much unwarranted attention. May get me into trouble! Anyway, not yet..because headers are yet to be installed yet. Reckon that would bring out the true Capristo opera.:hilarious:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.