Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
23,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

by: pedsurg

Description: Capristo Full Exhaust Generation 2 install 12/09As an introduction, the 2009 CS is my 6th or 7th P-Car;
I have used after market exhausts on some of them, but invariably tire of them with time; usually due to the drone. Currently I am using a relatively open Fabspeed system on my race/track 993. I drive the CS seven days a week and it is my daily driver. This is my second croc and I love it, but the exhaust is fairly described as an expensive Singer sewing machine. I was interested in a more aggressive (appropriate) sound, incremental performance improvement, and an improved and tolerable daily driving experience. Mileage at install was approximately four thousand miles. Generally, I'm gadget averse, preferring less electronics and gimmicks such as electronic transmissions and suspensions; thus I was uncertain what I would think about a wireless adjustable exhaust. This is not a “How to do it yourself”, self install article; rather it is my photo documentation of the install, my impression of the install, and most importantly, my impressions of the unit (now nearly 2000 miles) of the Capristo complete exhaust system. Installation (and dyno testing) was at Rennen Imports, Tampa. Prior to this, I had purchased the Speedart exhaust system via the planet 9 group buy.Package arrives
Less than an hour after its arrival, the box was unpacked and displayed on my driveway (gotta love Florida Winters)
Notice the asymmetry of the pre cat O2 sensor location.
Off with the old: The removal was quite straightforward with no drama; the tech had no complaints or tips.
right side
Then the Left side
The complete factory unit removed; notice the symmetric location of the pre cat O2 sensors and the duplicative pre exhaust secondary cats !!
Right Capristo Header Installation:
View of Right Pre Cat O2 sensor and Right Cat
As seen on the following three pics, the left O2 sensor was more problematic:
The internal orientation of the female left pre cat sensor would not allow the insertion of the male end.Whereas on the right, the superior orientation of the female Pre Cat Os sensor to be easily allow insertion of the male end of the sensor.
After several Germanic discussions with Andreas in Atlanta, the right sensor was relocated to the same location as the right sensor: (Thanks Andreas !!)
Notice the Blue pre cat, black post cat Os sensors in the above photo.New support bracket:
Capristo Hardware is in:
Installation of unit left rear trunk (boot):
Notice grey pressure reference port to Capristo Control Unit and the black and red non braided power and ground wire routed. This controller can be used to customize your Capriso experience ie you decide at what exhaust back pressure the Capristo valves open; a higher back pressure # a later opening and a later somewhat subdued roar; this is the default setting for button #1 of your remote key fob. The default setting for button #2 sets the valves to open at a lower back pressure. This causes, allows, an earlier and more dramatic roar. The settings of both buttons are customizable. Finally, if the #2 button is compressed for several seconds, the valve open and remain open. OH BABY !!
and auxillary valve: My shop added this to the vacuum line, near the motor compartment, to add a more stable and reproducible usage of this vacuum controlled exhaust system.
With the engine bay exposed, the Capristo wiring harness is seen on the far left; using this approach, the Capristo solenoid is placed near the throttle body on the top of the transmission.
Performance Information:We had intended to have nice before and after dyno charts, unfortunately that didn't happen because the new Siemens ECU unit in the 2009+ Caymans doesn't like to see the rear wheels spinning fast and the front wheels standing still so it will put the car into limp mode and/or cut power to the car when it is on the dyno. This resulted in spurious and likely inaccurate readings above the 4-5K range. We attempted to have a second member of the site also perform the same test on a non-US car in the hopes that it would be different, but 4by4 also ran into the same issues when attempting to dyno. Therefore, what we've decided to do is present the first part of the dyno graph to show the clear gains in horsepower and especially torque in the lower rpm range that can also certainly felt when driving the car after the install. Readers are free to extrapolate for themselves what they think the overall HP and Torque gains would be across the entire powerband but unfortunately we cannot make a firm claim to those numbers in this article. If you have the means to perform this kind of dyno testing (rumors are that there is a work-around on an awd dyno) then we would welcome a follow-up article to this one showing the gains across the entire spectrum. The intial gains are very promising and the results can be felt when driving the car.
Sounds:This might be a good spot for audio. I’ll be happy to obtain such sound files but will require technical assistance.Impressions:Out of the box, this thing flies. The increased grunt is noticeable by me and all subsequent drivers. At idle, there is a very nice, classy Porsche growl; no more sewing machine!! With button #1 depressed, the Capristo system is quite civilized. The valves open relatively late during an aggressive acceleration allowing and later somewhat subdued and easily avoided roar. If the situation calls for no roar, the car can be driven, and driven quickly with no roar. Again, the exact point of valve opening can be chosen by the owner/driver/installer. After button #2 is depressed, the valves open earlier during acceleration (requiring less back pressure to open); again the exact opening pressure is customizable. Driving under this scenario is quite enjoyable. The roar is intoxicating, and believe it or not, the car sounds like a Porsche !! That said, this setting is quite livable and #2 is my usual setting. It really is the best of worlds because the back pressure based system roars with a pre-determined degree of acceleration, but is not activation during steady state driving, ie on the highway. Also, drone is not an issue. I can’t say there is none because drone can be induced during a deceleration with the engine lugging at or around 2000 rpm. But the flat six is a high rpm marvel and shouldn’t, in my humble opinion, be lugged at 2000 rpm.But there is more. If you depress button #2 for several seconds (this should be button #3), the Capristo valves open and stay open !! Talk about turning heads. This setting will attract attention, but some times a croc gotta roar. I’ve had the system installed for over 6 weeks and have put nearly two thousand miles on the car; again, this is my daily driver. I like and appreciate more now that after the installation. Its user friendly and very livable. On some days a mild roar ala button #1 is appropriate while the more dramatic roar of button #2 is just the ticket. In rare situations all roar all the time is indicated!! : ) This from a guy who has removed almost every other aftermarket exhaust from previous cars and who is dis-inclined to have/use gadgets and who has a brand new lower profile speed art exhaust in the garage. The Capristo won’t be coming off and I’ll need to find the Speedart system a new home.My thanks to K-Man S who arranged for me to be able to get special pricing on the Capristo system in exchange for documenting my installation, dyno runs, and my impressions contained in this article. I would also like to thank the people at Capristo and at Taurino Racing their U.S. distributor for helping myself and my shop through the installation procedure and solving any issues that we had. I would highly recommend the Capristo system for any Gen 2 Cayman or Boxster owner.

More...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts