Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me your ideas on why my new 2009 Cayman S car alarm goes off while parked in my garage? I locked the car doors, which I understand automatically turns on the theft alarm, but there was no one in the garage with the doors down and we had been in the house for over an hour. This has happened a number of times so I have stopped locking the car. This has stopped the problem except for the fact that when I go away for a week I do want to be able to lock the car and not have to worry about driving my neighbors crazy. What do you think?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Search and ye shall find:)
I had that happen on my 07 CS. The dealer replaced a sensor in the interior and all has been well so far.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Is your microwave oven anywhere near your garage? I know this sounds crazy, but I swear that my microwave set off my alarm a few times. The garage and kitchen share a wall. I put some foil on the garage wall where the microwave is mounted and it never happened again. If it would not be possible for my microwave to set off the alarm, someone please let me know so I can take the foil down.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
If it only happens in your garage than it must be related to something there and taking note of any activity that might trigger it would be useful. But as recommended above it is a dealer warranty issue if there is a fault with the car.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's the microwave. This has happened to mine 3 times. Each time the micorwave was just going. It's obviously not every time. The kitchen shares a wall with the garage. Scary huh! I think I'll be looking for a new microwave soon and taking the car in for warranty work on that sensor.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Is your microwave oven anywhere near your garage? I know this sounds crazy, but I swear that my microwave set off my alarm a few times. The garage and kitchen share a wall. I put some foil on the garage wall where the microwave is mounted and it never happened again. If it would not be possible for my microwave to set off the alarm, someone please let me know so I can take the foil down.
Bret,

If the microwave is setting off your Cayman's alarm, don't you think foil protection around your crotch might be just as appropriate?:taunt:

Woof.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Strange as this reply sounds. my kitchen wall is next to my garage and the microwave is on that wall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I'll take it to the dealer and see if they can do something, maybe do a print screen of these posts first to take along:hilarious:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just telling my wife about the response to my post and my daughter said she was home alone and ran the microwave to make popcorn and the alarm went off. She said she called her Mom afraid to go into the garage to check in case there was someone there. so that does seem to be it. Keep the foil on the wall. :)

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
You got me there Woof!

We have it narrowed down to microwaves or popcorn at least. Let me add further that since the wall of foil went up, the alarm has not gone off. The foil stays!

When I finish my garage, a microwave reflecting material will be integrated.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I find it hard to fathom that the microwave is setting off the car alarm off. If it's truly 'microwaves" escaping then I'll be replacing the microwave ASAP. On that theory a ringing mobile phone next to a locked car could trigger off the alarm.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
FWIW my microwave is on a shared wall with the garage. The CS is in the third bay away. So far, touch wood, the alarm hasn't gone off but that inverse square thing might be a player too. No foil in the wall that I know of.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Short story short. My alarm went off twice while my car was in the garage the first week. After the second time I realized the microwave was on both times. I searched the forums for "microwave" and found some info. Logical conclusion: tear the microwave off the wall and throw it away. Next morning I heard a radio program about microwaves, and a tidbit of info came up...thin foil refects microwaves most effectively. Wall of foil born. Next step: group buy of microwave blocking material...$10/square foot. Who's in?

Now I'm scared: I have a GE Spacemaker model JNM1851SM255.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Will you make hats out of it too?

Actually sounds plausible but it is helpful to post a list of makes that may have caused this. It might be brand specific.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I have the same problem but with a Carrera (997). I have a GE profile Spacemaker XL 1800 Microwave and within 30 seconds of starting the Microwave, the car alarm goes off. Has anyone got a fix to this? Thanks in advance!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts