Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Overall, nice. It if a bit amusing to me, though, that a 0-60 time of 5.5 seconds is described as 'amusingly slow'. I can remember not all that long ago when we had a B5 S4 2.7L, twin turbo and it did 0-60 in 5.5 seconds and it was considered very quick. In fairness, I think it was their way of saying that the differentiator between Base and S is pace off the line............the majority of the article seems to convey what we know and why we buy these............corner carving whether DD, weekend jaunts et al.........is exceptional.........particularly for the price.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Well I disagree with them saying the base is 'slow.' How is 0-60 in 5 seconds (tested) slow vs near 4 in the GTS? Especially in the streets. Sounds more like they never actually drive the cars but theory craft their articles.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Can't say I agree with the writer's comment: "If you’re expecting straight-line performance from these corner hunters, the base cars can be uncomfortably slow."

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Can't say I agree with the writer's comment: "If you’re expecting straight-line performance from these corner hunters, the base cars can be uncomfortably slow."

I think it's all relative, so they're probably comparing it to other performance cars in this price range and, from that perspective, they're right.

I think there's more than enough evidence around here to show that even the base cars are a ton of fun, so it's not like you're buying a 1978 Beetle or something.

When I went on my original test drives, the acceleration on the base model seemed "adequate" at best. It certainly wasn't grin-inducing. But I drive a Mazdaspeed3 every day with 280 ft-lb of torque.

I wouldn't read that as a put-down. It just is what it is. These cars shine the most when carving corners.

·
Noob
857 Posts
I think for the $$$ figure, 5 sec is slow, especially compared to pretty much every brand out there. Personally I think porsche needs to up their hp numbers across their entire range + reduce acceleration times while keeping everything else same (though personally I dont care about top speed). Some engineering needed to maintain weights and aerodynamics, but I am sure there are smart people out there.

Can't say I agree with the writer's comment:
"If you’re expecting straight-line performance from these corner hunters, the base cars can be uncomfortably slow."

As much as I like how porsches corner, straight line does matter a bit. Was watching 911 RSR lagging behind a 458 italia couple of months ago in a WEC race on pretty much every straight line of the track.
Now keeping everything else the same, like I mentioned above, including # of laps per pit stop reliability, I wish they figure out a way to bump up the power (electric or mechanical).

And ignoring the track, most of us daily drivers would prefer an awesomer acceleration since we tend to drive mostly in straight lines.
A 3.2s 0-60 from a 5/6 seater 5000lbs car like Tesla is pretty good engineering for daily driving.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Far be in for me to defend car mags (or at least most U.S. based ones outside of European Car, Panorama from PCA) but I think C&D was doing a relativity comment comparing to the Cayman S. I say this because in other cars that can do 0-60 in low 5's they at times consider quick......take VW GTIs, or the MK7 Golf R vs. the Mk6 Golf R, the new Audi S3 vs. the 2.0 Quattro A3, etc. At the end of the day, driving a 981 2.7L with 'only' 275 hp in a car weighing roughly 3,000 lbs., I pull away from pretty much most cars at stoplights even shifting at 3,000 rpm. So, relatively speaking 5 seconds is slow but it is faster than most cars on the road. Now, if we add carving canyons, twisties, on ramps, off ramps and the like, well, there you go. Oh, and by the way my 08 CS was 295 hp in a car weighing roughly 100 lbs. more than the 981........check the 0-60 times when it was tested as new and it is roughly what my 981 is and the mags considered the S quick. Relativity is alive and well......................

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Truly great cars have that quality we call "balance." That means that all performance measurements ... including things like acceleration, lateral grip, steering feel, seating, ride quality, and control ... all work together to provide a rewarding driving experience. Strong 0-60 times alone mean nothing when assessing the overall desirability of any car. In any case, I would never consider sub 6 second times slow for a sports car.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Interesting discussion. For those of us of a certain age who remember the bad old days of the 70’s and 80’s when a Mustang GT produced 157 hp, expectations have certainly ramped up over the years. Back then a 0-60 time under 9 seconds was considered quick and under 8 was nearly a rocket. Now we have Honda Accords running under 6, so a $50K+ sports car that’s in the low 5’s is going to be seen by some as underwhelming.

The day after I picked up my CS my brother and I were out for a drive. He asked me about the 0-60 time and when I told him it was around 4.7 his response was that his Audi A7 was that quick. My reply was yeah, so was my S4, but this car is more about handling and the overall experience than straight-line speed. His comment was telling though, mostly of the automotive zenith we’re currently enjoying.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
How is near 5 secs slow in comparison to competition???

A 50k+ Audi S3/S4 is about 5 secs 0-60. An A3/A4 is ~6.5-7 sec. A 75k+ S6 is a massive bulky car getting to 6 in 4.5s and the A5 is 5.3. Highest end BMW 3/4 series is 4.5 secs to 60 at 50k+... M3 is 65k+ at 4 seconds. Lowest end Maserati is 5.5 secs at 70k+ and 80k+ at 4.5 seconds. New Honda accord is 6.5 secs+ for ~40k.

A base 981 is 50-60k normally after getting the price down and not getting all options (which no one does). My personal test showed mixed results... sometimes under 5 secs and sometimes 5.x. Put an exhaust, headers, IPD, and higher flow filter, the base will do near 4.5 seconds for sure at +5k cost.

Many of those cars aren't aerodynamic like 981 and as tests have shown, they catch up to faster cars at higher speeds... or maybe even on a windier day.

Last, who floors it to see how fast they can get to 60 at stoplights? I've seen Corvettes that don't even do that. There more to a car than how fast it gets to 60 and I think theory crafting numbers is ridiculous. Anything over getting to 60 FASTER than 7 IS TOO FAST FOR LEGAL DRIVING.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I think the 981 is certainly fast enough to get you killed. The reason I didn't opt for a Boxster S is it's still a slow car. I have a slow 981 and the $10k I didn't spend on the 3.4L. The 2.7 is a lot more car than I expected it to be.

My tuned S4 will technically do a 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, but I wouldn't abuse the transmission like that.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Anything over getting to 60 FASTER than 7 IS TOO FAST FOR LEGAL DRIVING.
I was with you up until this part. People can talk about top speeds being irrelevant for the streets (outside a few select places outside North America) but you can't say the same for acceleration. Maybe there's an argument to be had when you get up over 500 hp or something, but I don't know where that number might be. It's certainly not around the 300 hp mark and has nothing to do with 0-60 times. Sure, if you launch from a stop to 60 as hard as you can, you're probably acting like a hoon and shouldn't be doing that on the streets. Here in Ontario you can get a crazy street racing ticket for that and have your car impounded for a week. So that's that. BUT... that's the same acceleration you want when you're launching yourself up to highway speeds on an onramp or when you pull out to pass on the highway. In those cases, you're using every bit of power you have and it's perfectly legal and can be plenty entertaining.

So acceleration is something that's VERY MUCH useful on the streets in a legal manner and I'd be more than happy to have 400 hp instead of 330.

Now... there is that thing about balance...

If Porsche decided that 330 hp is the perfect number for this car to make it the perfect handling driver's car, then I'd be happy with that. I think most of us agree though that this number is about keeping it under the shadow of the 911 so having a bit more would be just as balanced. Does that mean I'd want 500 or over 700 like they're throwing in the Challenger now? Nope. For this car I'm sure that would be too much. So I want that perfect balance where I can use it all much of the time without the TCS taking it away in all but the rarest occasions. Whatever those clever engineers agree with their test drivers is the perfect amount for the platform... THAT is what I want. :)

Reactions: baege

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
How is near 5 secs slow in comparison to competition???

A 50k+ Audi S3/S4 is about 5 secs 0-60.

Last, who floors it to see how fast they can get to 60 at stoplights? I've seen Corvettes that don't even do that. There more to a car than how fast it gets to 60 and I think theory crafting numbers is ridiculous. Anything over getting to 60 FASTER than 7 IS TOO FAST FOR LEGAL DRIVING.

Since my friend is currently shopping cars I know that you're off on the S3 numbers as it starts at 41K and does 4.7. It's a pretty compelling little sedan.

Also, I floor it on any onramp I can. I will also punch it at stoplights to the speed limit, fastest to 35, 45, or 50 (depending on the street) WOO!

Reactions: MidEngine-Fan

·
Noob
857 Posts
So acceleration is something that's VERY MUCH useful on the streets in a legal manner and I'd be more than happy to have 400 hp instead of 330.

Now... there is that thing about balance...

If Porsche decided that 330 hp is the perfect number for this car to make it the perfect handling driver's car, then I'd be happy with that. I think most of us agree though that this number is about keeping it under the shadow of the 911 so having a bit more would be just as balanced. :)
+1

Acceleration is also the most thrilling in any car driving. I agree with Mr Tyson below :)

IMG_1253.JPG

Reactions: Noah Fect

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
He also makes a pretty compelling argument for changing direction quickly. :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
I pull away from pretty much most cars at stoplights even shifting at 3,000 rpm. So, relatively speaking 5 seconds is slow but it is faster than most cars on the road.
I think that's more to do with slow drivers, rather than slow cars. Very few drivers use anywhere near to the full capability of the car. I can get the same result with a car with 120hp.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
And ignoring the track, most of us daily drivers would prefer an awesomer acceleration since we tend to drive mostly in straight lines.

Granted that acceleration is only one performance factor in a sports car evaluation, but it is as you point out an important one for most drivers who rarely if ever track their cars. By todays standards 0 - 60 in 5.5 seconds is at best mediocre. There are many luxury cruisers with curb weights in the 4500 - 5000 lb range that can do a mid 4 sec 0-60. Luxury cars like a BMW 750L or Audi A8, to name just two, are in that acceleration range and once they get their huge masses rolling, they will effortlessly out accelerate the 981. Actually since the context of this post is the street and not the drag strip, 0-60 is irrelevant. What should be considered is a rolling start like 30 - 70. I suspect that the 750 or A8 would thrash the 981 in that category.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts