Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The most recent edition (August) of Car & Driver has a tire test in it for "high performance tires".

The selection was largely based on price, tire size and what TR sold, so you have a mix of tires from different categories--extreme performance, maximum performance and ultra high performance. The goal was to find out if modestly priced tires could provide performance approaching what the PS2 provided.

What I appreciated was a good comparison of how the PS2 compared with the Dunlop Star spec Z-1 and the Kumho XS. Based my own experience, the test results of the XS and PS2 were accurate.

Last, I can see why the PS2 tire was selected as OEM for the Boxster/Cayman; it does most things very well in the wide range of conditions that owners would experience. The downside is that as a replacement tire, it's one of the most expensive choices available.

here's the link:
Tire Test: Nine Affordable Summer Tires Take On the Michelin PS2 - Tires/Comparison Test/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
How bad can the Chinese tires really be? Maybe they don't offer the ulitimate performance, but neither does anything you bring to the track less than an F1 car.

They don't make them for our cars, but I would bet a good driver on these tires would be faster than a bad driver on PS2s.

$70 a piece? Viva la China!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The Direzza Star Specs are amazing for a street tire - very grippy and predictable!

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
How bad can the Chinese tires really be? Maybe they don't offer the ulitimate performance, but neither does anything you bring to the track less than an F1 car.

They don't make them for our cars, but I would bet a good driver on these tires would be faster than a bad driver on PS2s.

$70 a piece? Viva la China!
I usually enjoy your humor, Dave, but what a bogus argument. A good driver in a Kia will probably lap faster than a bad driver in Cayman, but so what? Is that a reason for buying the Kia? :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
I think they put the wrong Bridgestone in there. Should have RE-11s. Not sure what sized they needed for the test, but RE-11 comes in 18 and 19 Cayman sizes and looks like a better tire than the Dunlop from here.

I've been fooled before with new tires, but I like the looks of these and I'm tempted to buy some.

-Six

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
I think they put the wrong Bridgestone in there. Should have RE-11s. Not sure what sized they needed for the test, but RE-11 comes in 18 and 19 Cayman sizes and looks like a better tire than the Dunlop from here.

I've been fooled before with new tires, but I like the looks of these and I'm tempted to buy some.

-Six
I don't think the RE-11s were available at the time of this test - magazines like C&D and R&T have publishing lead times that are almost two months in length.

brad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts