Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a Club to join to participate in DE and AC events. I'm in the So-Cal region, looking for clubs with events that don't require roll cages or 5 point belts. There are many great choices, what clubs are Planet 9 members participating in?

Porsche Owners Club
::porsche Owners Club::

Porsche Club of America
Porsche Club of America - Home

Sports Car Club of America
SCCA Sports Car Club of America

Sports Car Driving Association
Sports Car Driving Association - Performance Driving in a Safe and Controlled Environment

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
I belong to both the PCA and SCCA. The SCCA is primarily for AX; many (if not most) PCA regions run both AX and DE events. I enjoy participating with both organizations.

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,928 Posts
Trunkmonkey,

POC (Porsche Owners Club) is probably the best in SoCal for safe, well instructed track driving. The Short Track Series (STS) requires only street car safety equipment and is run at the Streets of Willow and AAA Speedway. Once or twice a year the STS drivers are also invited to run at the WSIR big track on cup race weekends. We are also likely to host a couple of AX events in 2010 (location will most likely be El Toro).

If/when you become interested in installing a roll bar and harnesses the POC offers the opportunity to run, with free instruction, most of the best tracks in the west (e.g., Laguna Seca, AAA Speedway, LVMS, etc).

For AX, the PCA Orange Coast Region (Porsche Club of America - Orange Coast Region www.pcaocr.org - Home) is probably the best around. They run 10+ events a year at El Toro and AAA speedway. They are also adding a couple of DEs this year (not sure about the safety requirements).

Speedventures seems to be the best of the non-club track day organizations. They offer a good schedule and instruction for a fee (POC is free). It can be a bit of a mixed bag of cars and drivers, and without an instructor requirement there can be a few interesting moments.

If you do not have much experience (or really even if you do), the best way to get on track in SoCal is with the POC drivers clinic and STS event scheduled for late January (see ::porsche Owners Club:: for details). Saturday is a full day clinic (classroom, track walk, skid pad, car control, lapping) and Sunday is a full day of timed lapping with an instructor. Many of the POC cup racers instruct and some offer rides in their race cars.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
join PCA and since you are in so cal, it be DUMB to not join POC. great club. i am in nor cal but am a member of POC too. they do come up to LS once a year and i have fun with them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is also the BMW CCA which would put you in the LA Chapter. They have local autocross and track events, and don't require a BMW as your ride....

And, as a bonus, they have a real quality monthly magazine!

·
Former Member
1,685 Posts
I'm looking for a Club to join to participate in DE and AC events. I'm in the So-Cal region, looking for clubs with events that don't require roll cages or 5 point belts...
trunkmonkey the info Krokodil gave can't be added to. All of us here in SoCal are very fortunate in being so geography desirable within the grasp of the POC. There is no better choice.

zornet :):burnout:

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
PCA, very easy to get involved and inexpensive, do not have to do much to get ready to participate. Just joined POC and have been very impressed by the welcome.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Ditto as well as S2KCA (S2000 Club of America).
I'm surprised there is a "club" dedicated to one model, as opposed to say the Honda Owners Club or something.

I wonder if an actual "club" dedicated to Cayman or maybe even just 987's or something could fly as a club? Certainly Porsche would try to crack down on the name if you named it the Cayman Owners Club or something of that nature, although they might not have a leg to stand on if it were considered fair use of the trademarked name, an interesting question for the attorneys in the audience. :)

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,928 Posts
PCA, very easy to get involved and inexpensive, do not have to do much to get ready to participate. Just joined POC and have been very impressed by the welcome.
Welcome again! Will we see you at the STS event next weekend?

If all goes well I will have the CS-R out for a shakedown. It won't be at full spec, but close.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
I'm surprised there is a "club" dedicated to one model, as opposed to say the Honda Owners Club or something.

I wonder if an actual "club" dedicated to Cayman or maybe even just 987's or something could fly as a club? Certainly Porsche would try to crack down on the name if you named it the Cayman Owners Club or something of that nature, although they might not have a leg to stand on if it were considered fair use of the trademarked name, an interesting question for the attorneys in the audience. :)
Ken we should know? This sight use to be called Cayman Club did'nt it? As for a Cayman only club i believe that if you shoot on over to the PCA sight that they have a board that is dedicated to Caymans only.A club within a club if you will.......It would appear that a lot of members of this sight are "hanging out" over there,but it Appears to be somewhat restricting in its content....... P.S This is still the best sight imo for Porsche/Cayman enthusiasts:gossip::cheers::beer:;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts