Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealer just got a 2016 Boxster Spyder in stock, what a great rare beautiful car. However, it's painted a hideous Agate Gray. So I looked on CarGurus and of the 19 cars available Nationwide only 2 are painted in a sports car color, 1 red and 1 yellow. Was this model offer in paint to sample or did those pre-ordering not care to order a more collectible color?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My local dealer just got a 2016 Boxster Spyder in stock, what a great rare beautiful car. However, it's painted a hideous Agate Gray. So I looked on CarGurus and of the 19 cars available Nationwide only 2 are painted in a sports car color, 1 red and 1 yellow. Was this model offer in paint to sample or did those pre-ordering not care to order a more collectible color?

The majority of Porsches sold are either white, grey, silver or black. Go to any Porsche dealership and take notice of the overwhelming theme of "neutral" you see. Those are the most desirable colors it seems and why you are finding only a couple examples otherwise. It may be much more collectible with the grey from a resale standpoint than yellow or other options despite a few of us considering those colors rather boring. You can always have it wrapped in any vibrant color and then go back to basics to sell it.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
+1 to iCNU. A year ago I looked through the Porsche used car site (US). There were 214 981 Caymans listed:

Black 24%
White 28%
Silver 12%
Grey 11%

That's 75%

Real colours (Red, yellow and blue) - 25%

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Funny, I am putting together a config for a 2019 Cayman S and 'hideous grey' was on my shortlist of colors. My first choice is Night Blue Metallic..................you will see in my sig that I currently have Mahogany Metallic and if it were still available I would be ordering that again. I have had an 08 CS, Carrera White Cayman R, Black 981, and now the Mahogany Metallic 981. My preference is colors on the darker side.............as personally, I like the way the shape and contours are presented. Of course, when I am feeling like moving away from this trend, I think about GT Silver with Bordeaux Red full leather interior. Go figure.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the Midnight Blue Metallic--very, very nice colour. I am really partial to non-neutral colors, regardless of resale. I know to a lot of people that is a large part of the equation when buying a car, but I buy them to drive them til they quit, so as long as it is pleasing to me...
The only thing I don't like with the blue? The taillight color. Not into Superman config. I need the darker ones over here with the amber turn signals. hmmm....50th b-day coming up.......

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aha............could be a pattern evolving as I am 71.......then again, that Lava Orange just could be calling my name :).
Lava Orange is nice, last year I met a guy who's 911 was Gulf Orange, what a beautiful head turner. I realize the majority of Porsche owners prefer a car that blends in, but some like to stand out a bit.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My wife has a strict requirement. if You are buying a sporty looking car it better be a head turning color. I am so glad I got the Sapphire Blue. I like the Agate Grey a lot but I can definitely see it being spruced up even more if there's some yellow offsetting it like stripes or something. There's a GT4 in Agate Gray with that kind of trim and it looks good. Nay it looks fantastic!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wife has a strict requirement. if You are buying a sporty looking car it better be a head turning color. I am so glad I got the Sapphire Blue. I like the Agate Grey a lot but I can definitely see it being spruced up even more if there's some yellow offsetting it like stripes or something. There's a GT4 in Agate Gray with that kind of trim and it looks good. Nay it looks fantastic!
Sapphire Blue is beautiful. I agree that you can offset a color with accents. In this case the car is gray and then has gray wheels and to top it off black decals...it all just blends into a gray/black stew. https://www.porschesilverspring.com/inventory/?condition=used&make=Porsche&model=Boxster+Spyder

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I bought a 2004 GTO new and when we were in the showroom, I was looking with great interest at a yellow one. My wife had real concerns about the color and I ended up with silver. About a year later, my wife comes home one day and said.........ya know, I saw a GTO like yours today but it was yellow.........it really looks nice in that color. Really? So, who knows, I just might exercise my slightly wild side and break out of predictable character and go for something that really jumps out.

·
Registered
186 Posts
While that Grey is not my cup of tea, I could see why others might like it. Of course this is coming from someone that has over the years, owned 1 white car, and 1 black truck. All of my other vehicles have been some shade of blue (only 3 that I can remember) or RED. Bright red, imola red, fire engine red, guards red, arrest me red, well you get the idea...

·
Registered
274 Posts
While that Grey is not my cup of tea, I could see why others might like it. Of course this is coming from someone that has over the years, owned 1 white car, and 1 black truck. All of my other vehicles have been some shade of blue (only 3 that I can remember) or RED. Bright red, imola red, fire engine red, guards red, arrest me red, well you get the idea...
I have had "non Porsche people" tell me that "if you have a Porsche, it has to be red" (I'm obviously biased).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Sapphire Blue is beautiful. I agree that you can offset a color with accents. In this case the car is gray and then has gray wheels and to top it off black decals...it all just blends into a gray/black stew. https://www.porschesilverspring.com/inventory/?condition=used&make=Porsche&model=Boxster+Spyder

I gotta say i like it in a subdued manner. But you can do wonders with accents. Thst being said my wife would not approve unfortunately cause it's not flash enough lol!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts