Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

If resale value was not a consideration, would you have chosen a different exterior c

• Yes

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • No

Votes: 135 95.1%
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If resale wasn't a consideration, would you have chosen a different color for your 981? I am a bit dismayed by all of the sports cars sporting "safe" colors (black, white, silver). Mine's a keeper so I don't even really qualify to vote in my own poll! I was originally going to go all in with GT Silver over a red interior but I really liked Racing Yellow. Recall that was the color used in a lot of the early 981 Cayman ads. And since it was "free" with a "free" black interior, I saved some $ to put into a few other options.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I chose white because I thought the GTS looked especially good in white, due to all the black accents, smoked lenses. Normally I would think white is a boring and safe color, but not on this model. Hopefully I won't be disappointed, I'm relying on pictures...

Reactions: tangram and Richman

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Not sure. It was a toss up between Dark Blue Metallic and Carrara White Metallic for me. It was a tough decision but in the end, white was the first one I built in the configurator and was the color I seemed to be coming back to look at the most. Resale did play into my decision a little, but on the other hand, I'm hoping this is a 10-year car for me. If I had done DBM, I would have gone for the two-tone black / luxor interior.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have to say, I am a fan of Riviera Blue and Mexico Blue (although my wife is not...), but it's unlikely I would have paid the premium for these colors. White is a good color, IMO, as is Silver, which would be my choice for the next Porsche (since the car will likely be purchased used).

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Nope. I liked yellow, so that's what I got. I bought the car for me, not for some hypothetical future owner.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
^^^^what she said. Except I like red. lol

·
Registered
266 Posts
I choose Aqua Blue Metallic without seeing it in person. This car is a keeper so I picked what appealed to me. No regrets

Reactions: Kaxon

·
Registered
83 Posts
I chose racing yellow despite knowing that it would be harder to sell than my second choice, silver. I bought the car for me. I don't intend to sell it until my license gets taken away. The silver is elegant & classy. But at least a third of the cars on the road are silver, as is my Subaru wagon. It's a sports car, damn it. Also, from a safety standpoint, it is more visible than the other colors. My only regret in my color choice is that it does call attention to itself, so law enforcement & vandals are more of a worry than the other colors. But it puts a big smile on my face every time I look at it.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
If I had to custom order my 981 I would go with the PTS fashion grey for sure. I love my black but in a few years when it is time to replace my clear wrap I will definitely do a gunmetal satin wrap. But the good news is that when I resell it black is much easier to sell than the fashion grey.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Nope. I liked yellow, so that's what I got. I bought the car for me, not for some hypothetical future owner.
KCZ I'm with you.. Racing Yellow -- and there will be no future owner !! I want to grow old in the thing and have people say, "hey, there goes that old fart in his yellow Porsche, ...he is STILL having fun!"
D

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Kind of confusing...should take out the not.
You are right! We all got the question wrong....lol. But we knew what he meant.:)

Reactions: tvad

·
Registered
825 Posts
From certain angles, a black Cayman brings the idea of a beautiful woman "in a little black dress" to mind. That made the choice for me. :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
It wasn't a consideration, so no, I actually wanted to avoid the safe colours. If it had been a consideration the colour might have been different.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
I picked a safe color (which adds at least 5bhp ;) )... instead of LG :hilarious:

Reactions: BJR

·
Registered
136 Posts
I buy my cars for me with no thought of the effect on resale value. My current 2008 CS is white and I would happily keep this for years if I hadn't been seduced by a Riviera Blue CGTS (due for delivery March 2015) :banana:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Again what she said but in spades, oops bridge quote. I mean in Lime Gold. :hilarious:

I picked a safe color (which adds at least 5bhp ;) )... instead of LG :hilarious:
Misquote. Should have said "I picked a safe color (which adds at least 5bhp ;) )... instead of LG which is ostentatious and adds 10 HP :hilarious:

When i'm asked what colour my Porsche is, I often quote Eduardo's description from 6speedonline. "Chartreuse" now that gets some interesting looks.:hilarious:

:cheers:

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My first Cayman was bought with resale considerations, hence Silver exterior with black leather.
This time, as I think I will be keeping it for around 5 or 6 years, so I ordered in (as my sales person called it "a marmite colour") Riviera Blue with Agate Grey/Pebble Grey Full Leather with Agate Grey Carpets.
Don't know if Marmite colour is a phrase in the States, but here in the UK, it means you either love it or hate it, no in-between.
However, its been on order around 2 or 3 months and not anticipated for delivery until March 2015 so the ordering in a paint to sample colour has added approx. 3 months or more to my build schedule
I'm sure it will be worth it, but my goodness the wait is interminable

1 - 20 of 66 Posts