Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 base Cayman without nav. I received a letter in the mail last week saying I should be due for my 20k mile service soon (I'm at just under 18k miles) and this kind of surprised me. I've only taken the car in for servicing once since I've owned it. I know most Porsche drivers do a small number of miles per year (not me!), so I don't think this is based on usual averages.

Is my car communicating things like mileage remotely, or is there some other way Porsche may know that it's approaching that service interval?

I guess I could apply Occam's razor and say that it was purchased new, had a lot of miles put on it quickly, traded in at 7k miles, I bought it, then had it serviced at 10k only a few months after that. So maybe they just calculated the average mileage so far in the car's history and made that prediction.

It doesn't bother me if the car is communicating anything, I'd just be surprised if it is. If this is a stupid question, I throw myself on your mercy.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
ROFL. When the day comes that my car is talking to the dealer, that is the day I become a true Luddite.

I get those letters all the time from all the car makes I owned. They just do the math and want to make money. Its advertising.

I would not worry about it. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fair enough. It just surprised me to receive the letter since most Porsche drivers don't put that kind of mileage on their cars. And I guess it wouldn't surprise me if the car had the ability to send that kind of info. Thanks!

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
chow,

chevy does it on all its cars.. ON STAR! gives me a month report.. on how my truck is doing .. I put a quick snip.. to that module.. freaking big brother..

Lemon

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
chow,

chevy does it on all its cars.. ON STAR! gives me a month report.. on how my truck is doing .. I put a quick snip.. to that module.. freaking big brother..

Lemon

Arghhh Ahhhh. :helpme::helpme::helpme:

I totally forgot about onstar. It just creeps me out, like if you got an app on your phone to lock the doors.

No NO. :mad:

thanks! :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have a 2014 BMW F30 that can be locked/unlocked or have the horn honked with a phone app. I kinda like it. I'm not too concerned with big brother-y type stuff though.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
What surprises me is that you received a letter!

Here we receive SMS messages and they're pretty much accurate too.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Car communicating with Porsche even if not Nav equipped?
Having nav doesn't necessarily mean that the car communicates with the dealer/manufacturer. Some vehicles certainly do communicate but it's not simply a matter of whether or not the vehicle is nav equipped. Nav only needs to be able to pick up GPS satellites to do its thing. All GPS receivers are like this. A lot of smartphone apps require communication because they don't store map and other data locally on the device and/or are otherwise designed to require communication for routing, aggregating information like traffic data, etc.

As others have said, the notification is based on a guesstimate.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I know nav or GPS doesn't necessarily mean a two-way communication ability. I only asked because I thought a car not equipped with any kind of nav or GPS/On-Star, etc should be unable to send information.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Is my car communicating things like mileage remotely, or is there some other way Porsche may know that it's approaching that service interval?

No, and they are just guesstimating your mileage. From a technical perspective, it wouldn't be difficult to gather the data remotely, since your mileage is stored in the gauge cluster. It would just be a case of building in a communication path between the car and the dealership, like they do with onStar. This of course would raise lots of privacy issues, which would make it not a viable option at least not in the US.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
they probably have a formula to estimate your mileage based on time since last recorded. if you think about it, they can easily guess +- 2000 miles (4000 mile range overall) based on their statistics of average Porsche drivers. Worst case is that they send you a letter a little early or late, at which point you just throw it away anyhow. Certainly easier and more cost effective than having a secret tracking device sending constant updates to Porsche.

·
Registered
90 Posts
In order for your car to communicate with any organization including Porsche it would need an IP address and capable of connecting to the internet via public wifi connection, wifi hotspots or satellite connection. Newer Onstar equipped vehicles transmit a monthly diagnostics report to the dealer. The report contains resutt of the systems of the vehicle that were scanned. GM can even access evertwhere you drove and your speed via the GPS. In 2011 Onstar announced it will permanently retain all GPS data and sell it to insuance companies and law enforcement. The is no word if the data would be used in a Court of Law. The new smart gps has a built in wifi connection that uploads everywhere you traveled to the manufacturer of the GPS everytime it finds a connection. Lojack and Skylink have this capability also. I know for a fact that if you subscribe to Skylink to know the location of your vehicle you will also be able to see if the vehicle exceeded the maximum speed limit and what was the max speed the vehicle attained every road, every posted speed limit change, every time. Lojack does not offer this feature to it's customers but their device is certainley capable of tracking your speed if Lojack chooses to. Onstar every year ends 200+ police chases simply by the police requesting Onstar to disable the vehicle. Your vehicle does not require an Onstar paid subscription in order for them to turnoff your vehicle. Many auto manufacturers are installing Onstar like devices VW now has it. This is one of the reason everything in most vehicles is drive by wire.
Just like a Google, Yahoo etc... legal represetative will testify in court to inform the court of all of your browsing histoty and try to make a correlation between the crime a person comitted and to premeditated thoughts the person had before the crime evidenced by the browsing history. Will vehicle tracking device manufacturers one day or are they already doing it testify in court about how many times your broke the speed limit and what was your max speed in the event of a crash. They try to substantiat the evidence by stating look at his history he likes to speed. Might it be a good idea a install a hidden kill switch to shut off the vehicle locator while driving in a sporty fashion. Just yesterday a Harvard professor said soon our masters will have drone mosquitoes that will be able to sample your blood for DNA analysis and even sit in the same room with you watching and listening to everything you say and do.
The moral of the story is privacy is gone and so are the rules of law that were guaranteed by the constitution to protect of our privacy.
Be Blissfull And Enjoy The Bread And Circus.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Onstar every year ends 200+ police chases simply by the police requesting Onstar to disable the vehicle. Your vehicle does not require an Onstar paid subscription in order for them to turnoff your vehicle. .
That is just so creepy. No way ever buying onstar

·
Registered
832 Posts
When you had the car in for servicing I'm pretty sure some data was downloaded from the car's various controllers. The odometer was probably one data that was downloaded and some computer program or human did the math and determined/estimated about when your car would be ready for its next service.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts