Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Cayman S was the overall winner of the comparo between the Cayman S, Covette Grand Sport and Lotus Evora. It is the cover story in the July Car & Driver magazine. Sorry, couldn't find an online article to post. The main negative for the Cayman S was brake fade which surprises me. This is my first P car but I thought Porsche was always known for their great brakes. This car impresses me more and more each day I drive it. Can't wait to mod...

·
Registered
241 Posts
A friend of mine called me about an hour ago to let me know the results. The comparisons in the last year or so have certainly been good to Porsche. Not unearned I might add. I no longer subscribe to C&D (finally had to be more selective about magazines--not enough time to read them all). Hopefully it will be on the stands by Saturday when I'm off to Peru and can add it to my reading materials for the flights.
BW

·
Registered
363 Posts
The feeling of Brake fade not a surprise to me. My '02 base Boxster brakes felt far superior to the brakes on my '08 Cayman S. I've had the brakes flushed twice at the dealer and everything inspected, etc. They may be bigger, vented, and have red calipers but the actual feel of the bite and stopping power leaves much to be desired compared to my 3 previous Porsches.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The best line from that article:
"And while it is sacrilege to Porschephiles, the Cayman's mid-engine powertrain configuration beats the 911's full diaper when it comes to handling."

The vet is packing more than an extra 100HP but they both run the same 0-60MPH, almost identicle 1/4 times (.2), and only 2.2 seconds faster lap time. It goes to show you that it is not all about raw power. A few light mods giving the cayman an extra 20-30HP and it should outgun the vet on those test as well....and it would still be 90HP less.

·
Registered
502 Posts
0-60 in 4.3 seconds for CS - Really? Is Porsche conservative?
Yes, they under promise and over deliver. I recall reading at one time that the 0-60 testing method will vary between manufactures. I read that Porsche test with 2 average size occupants and a good amount of fuel. This extra weight alone can throw the numbers off by a few tenths compared to a manufacture testing with the lightest driver they can find and a cup of fuel. It would be pretty easy to drop 300-400 lbs from your test.

They should standardize testing methods if they want a more accurate test. I think car mags do a good job of doing more real world test. The method is not really that important as long as everyone uses the same method to show the differences.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Not having read the article, what was wrong with the Evora? Or perhaps better said what did they like and not like about it?
Lucky for you Ken, I happen to have the newest issue right next to me:

Evora cons: little underpowered, the gearbox, engine note, poor viability out the rear, back seats are a joke (like most sports cars that add them), some plastic on the door came off during testing, loose battery cable caused elec issues, low resolution on the NAV and it completely died during testing,

They did however love the handling and most enjoyed the looks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The vet had the cons WE always see on a vet. Horrid interior and seats "been padded with dead squirrels" (yes that quote is direct from the article), numb steering, body roll, feels big, low quality NAV. I really dislike the interior in the vet personally. It is just not what you expect in a car at that price point. All that extra power and only 2 seconds faster around the track.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
That is good news. I wouldn't want to own the Corvette unless it was a fifth or sixth vehicle. They are GREAT performers, but you see them every where. The Lotus would be cool though.

·
Registered
502 Posts
That is good news. I wouldn't want to own the Corvette unless it was a fifth or sixth vehicle. They are GREAT performers, but you see them every where. The Lotus would be cool though.
Totally agree, it is a great engine strapped to a cheap car. One of the reason for the Cayman was because I rarely ever see them and like to be different. I see 3 or 4 vets in every parking lot...usually owned by someone 60+. My brother got one in his mid 30's and I call him an old man...going to dinner at 4PM for the early bird:)

I would own a C6 Z06 for a track car though (not for daily)...great bang for your buck.

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
The best line from that article:
"And while it is sacrilege to Porschephiles, the Cayman's mid-engine powertrain configuration beats the 911's full diaper when it comes to handling."

The vet is packing more than an extra 100HP but they both run the same 0-60MPH, almost identicle 1/4 times (.2), and only 2.2 seconds faster lap time. It goes to show you that it is not all about raw power. A few light mods giving the cayman an extra 20-30HP and it should outgun the vet on those test as well....and it would still be 90HP less.
To me what's more telling is that they were that close in acceleration but the Vette was over 2 seconds faster on the track. That speaks volumes of its capabilities imo. And if you start talking mods there are very few cars in the world as mod friendly as the vettes and cheaper too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, they under promise and over deliver. I recall reading at one time that the 0-60 testing method will vary between manufactures. I read that Porsche test with 2 average size occupants and a good amount of fuel. This extra weight alone can throw the numbers off by a few tenths compared to a manufacture testing with the lightest driver they can find and a cup of fuel. It would be pretty easy to drop 300-400 lbs from your test.
I remember Cadillac getting great 0-60 numbers out of the first CTS-V's by using technics which they then labeled abusive as they refused customer warranty claims. GM is known for clutch drops and speed shifts to get good times for ad copy. Hand-grenaded transmissions and rear ends are no-charge.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.