Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some kind of defect in my heater core caused a coolant leak that saturated my interior carpet. According to the dealer, the interior is not available and needs to be manufactured. This means the car will be in the shop for a month when all is said and done. Maybe longer.

They are providing a Cayenne as the car is under warranty.

I don't want the Cayenne for a month or more. I want my car fixed. I already have a minivan and an SUV. I pay $1000 a month to drive a sports car.

I am thinking of contacting PNA to try to come to some better accommodation. Get me a Boxster loaner. Wave a lease payment. Take the Cayenne back and give me a service/ merchandise credit.

Anything.

Why? Because the dealership has lied to me one too many times, and losing a month of driving because they don't stock parts properly for a two year old car...is unacceptable customer service.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? Any success stories?

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,774 Posts
Dave, I'd rather have a Cayenne than a base Boxster with a tip. I know what you mean when you miss your car. I took a loaner out of town (base Boxster w/tip) and I couldn't wait for the dealership to open, I got my extra set of keys and grabbed my car on Sunday.

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
Given that it's a leased car I think you have a reasonable argument. I'd ask for a month waived as well as a 997S as the loaner. Not saying they'll comply but if you never ask....

·
Registered
607 Posts
Look into the Lemon Law for your state... In Maryland, if your car is being serviced for over 30 days, they have to buy back the car... it's a little bit more complicated than that, but you get the idea.

Research it and file a complaint with the attorney general in your State. I had my Chrysler Crossfire bought back and declared a "lemon" without ever going through the expense of an attorney.

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look into the Lemon Law for your state... In Maryland, if your car is being serviced for over 30 days, they have to buy back the car... it's a little bit more complicated than that, but you get the idea.

Research it and file a complaint with the attorney general in your State. I had my Chrysler Crossfire bought back and declared a "lemon" without ever going through the expense of an attorney.
During the first 18 months in California, 30 days in the shop = Lemon unless proven otherwise (generally speaking). I am at 29 months.

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave, I'd rather have a Cayenne than a base Boxster with a tip. I know what you mean when you miss your car. I took a loaner out of town (base Boxster w/tip) and I couldn't wait for the dealership to open, I got my extra set of keys and grabbed my car on Sunday.
I already have a minivan and an SUV. The Cayenne isn't as nice as either of them. I'd take the Boxster w/tip. My wife would enjoy it. So would I. You can't open the sun roof on the Cayenne without a sonic boom noise.

My wife hates it and won't drive it. We are both surprised by how much we dislike the thing. She was thrilled when we picked it up. Our Honda drives better by any measure. I have Pirellis on our minivan and it feels better on the freeway.

Add this to the BS the dealer keeps slinging my way for no apparent reason, and I am not a happy customer.:(

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
My wife hates it and won't drive it. We are both surprised by how much we dislike the thing. She was thrilled when we picked it up. Our Honda drives better by any measure. I have Pirellis on our minivan and it feels better on the freeway.

QUOTE]

There must be something wrong with your cayenne. I've driven Odysseys and cayennes extensively and can say without reservation the driving experience is not even close. The cayenne is one of the best driving SUVs on the market. It has a very firm ride for an suv but corners very well with minimal body roll for a vehicle of that size. You should definitely take it back and get it exchanged if your Honda is outperforming it in any measure short of occupant capacity.

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
Dave - can they temporarily cut out the affected carpet area (assuming it isn't that large) and patch it so you can get going again, albeit with a less then perfect interior? Then you're not at the mercy of their parts timing at least. I hear the stripped racing look may be coming fashionable again too! Free roll bar install courtesy the dealership?!;)

·
Northeast Member
751 Posts

Waiting for parts doesn't count. Lemon Law won't apply.

·
Northeast Member
751 Posts
Why? Because the dealership has lied to me one too many times, and losing a month of driving because they don't stock parts properly for a two year old car...is unacceptable customer service.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? Any success stories?
I don't know of too many dealerships for any make that stock car interiors. They are almost always special order.....it takes a little while to get things like this, especially from overseas.

I feel for you in this situation, but I don't see how this is the dealerships fault. Take the loaner, let the time pass, and get your car when it is done.

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
So they aren't building any more Caymans and don't have any parts on the assembly line? No parts in inventory in Germany that can be air shipped? No part at a salvage yard from a wrecked Cayman? Seems like lots of options to get you on the road sooner than 30 days. I agree they need to waive a lease payment or let you keep the car an extra 30 days at the end of the lease, you didn't agree to lease a Cayenne, although you need to consult the fine print of your lease, there probably is something in there about what they will do in the event that your car is in for repair for an extended period of time.

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Waiting for parts doesn't count. Lemon Law won't apply.

In California, during the first 18 months, or 18,000 miles...

"(3) The vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle."

It doesn't matter what the reason happens to be. My brother's GT-R was in the shop for more than 30 days while Nissan waited to decide whether or not it was going to cover repairs under warranty. They decided that, yes, the repair was a warranty repair. A little bit too late. They bought the car back PLUS the premium over MSRP he paid.

But this is not a legal issue. It is a customer service issue. I don't appreciate being treated with the contempt they show for the truth. I have a case open with Porsche. They are looking into the situation.

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know of too many dealerships for any make that stock car interiors. They are almost always special order.....it takes a little while to get things like this, especially from overseas.

I feel for you in this situation, but I don't see how this is the dealerships fault. Take the loaner, let the time pass, and get your car when it is done.
The dealer is only responsible for the part where they lied about the fact that the interior was soaked with coolant so that they could attempt to clean it without telling me. The whole thing is bizarre. I swear it is like they act like lying is so normal, they forget when they are doing it.

The manufacturer is the one who may very well end up crediting me if the car is there beyond 30 days...because they don't have parts stocked. They seem to agree that this is reasonable, although nothing is final and the car has only been in the shop for a week thus far. The dealer has nothing to do with it.

Again, Porsche sees it as a customer service issue, and I am very happy with the person I am working with.

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

QUOTE]

There must be something wrong with your cayenne. I've driven Odysseys and cayennes extensively and can say without reservation the driving experience is not even close. The cayenne is one of the best driving SUVs on the market. It has a very firm ride for an suv but corners very well with minimal body roll for a vehicle of that size. You should definitely take it back and get it exchanged if your Honda is outperforming it in any measure short of occupant capacity.
It is purely a subjective thing, Ring. ;) No one ever paid me a nickel for my expert opinion on SUVs. :)

I am certain that the Cayenne handles better than the minivan by any objective measure. For us, it just doesn't work. We do need the extra space for the family, and to be fair the Cayenne is absolutely stripped to the bone.

I think an SUV should be more truck-like, and a people hauler should be more sedan or minivan-like. I see a vehicle that can't carry enough people or cargo, can't go off road, and doesn't handle like a sedan or ride comfortably like a Minivan. Others see the perfect compromise.

No doubt for way over the $50k base model you can remedy some of these ills. But for what it is, I still think the damned Honda Odyssey at a notch over $40k fully loaded is better suited for us. I really want to get something different. I really do. :) I had high hopes...

Again, purely personal taste. :cheers:

·
Northeast Member
751 Posts
In California, during the first 18 months, or 18,000 miles...

"(3) The vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle."

It doesn't matter what the reason happens to be. My brother's GT-R was in the shop for more than 30 days while Nissan waited to decide whether or not it was going to cover repairs under warranty. They decided that, yes, the repair was a warranty repair. A little bit too late. They bought the car back PLUS the premium over MSRP he paid.

But this is not a legal issue. It is a customer service issue. I don't appreciate being treated with the contempt they show for the truth. I have a case open with Porsche. They are looking into the situation.
A lot of people confuse the actual "Lemon Law" with manufacturers buy back and arbitration procedures. To go through the Lemon Law, it does involve an attorney and a court and judge. Very few people actually go through this process. If a buy back or settlement happens, especially if it happens quickly, it is usually the manufacturers own policy to handle problems.
Bad dealership customer service is another issue all together.
Good luck!
Dave

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
I'm not keen on facing backwards unless it is in the very back of an old Pontiac station wagon. If you do it long enough whenver you stop the scenery seems to rush towards you. I imagine with a little extra chemical stimulation that could be quite interesting.

I have a scale model of the Chariot somewhere in the basement, but if you want one, here's how to get one: Chariot, Lost in Space

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.