Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am having a hard time with batteries in my 2007 Boxster. Car is completely stock, no added electronics. I recently installed a new Interstate battery only to have is die in two short weeks without drving the car. The voltage dropped to 4 volts.

Today I installed a new Optima battery 34R. Before hooking up the negative terminal I checked the parasitic amp draw. I removed the front boot light to get an accurate reading. The car draws 1.2 amps continuous. That seems pretty high but is this normal and also the reason we all need to trickle our 987's non stop?

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
If the amp draw was really 1.2 amps continuously, you'd have a tough time getting any reasonable battery last longer than a couple of days.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I also find it mildly annoying that we need a battery maintainer. The old Honda sits outside for a month or more and starts fine.

But anyway it sounds like the draw was temporary but still I'd be curious if anyone can explain a 1.2 amp draw after install of a battery.

If they can't explain that, you still might have an intermittent short.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I also find it mildly annoying that we need a battery maintainer. The old Honda sits outside for a month or more and starts fine.

But anyway it sounds like the draw was temporary but still I'd be curious if anyone can explain a 1.2 amp draw after install of a battery.

If they can't explain that, you still might have an intermittent short.
Quite normal to pull this kind of power when all the systems are up and active and checking-in, etc. once the car goes into sleep mode it should drop to a lot lot less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts