Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In July I bought a 2014 Boxster in great condition. The manual says not to take it to a car wash. I have heard stories of car washes penetrating the top and getting water inside so I assume that was the reason not to take it to the car wash. I have washed it by hand a few times, but now that it will be getting cooler soon I may not want to do that. I recently met someone who has the same car and he told me that he takes his to a "touchless" car wash at a local gas station without any problem, and that the reason that Porsche says not to take it to a car wash has nothing to do with the top, but because the clearance is too low for the tracks that move the car through the wash. So what is it? Will a car wash that uses pressurized water penetrate or damage the top, or should that be OK? I don't mind washing it in my driveway myself on a nice day, but I will be driving it a bit in the fall before I put it into winter storage and I don't want to put it away unless it is clean.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've only ever washed by hand. I have taken it to the DIY spray wash to save some time, which is a little better than those touchless washes, but still does a mediocre job if you don't hand wash. Also, use a bucket with warm water in the winter, but it's Dallas, so we're not talking about washing in below freezing days.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Auto car washes will do all kinds of damage. The list is long. I would never run my Porsche through a car wash and even when I lived up north, would find a way to wash it at one of those do it yourself car washes, especially in winter. The alternative is to find a detailer who will do a hand wash for you over the winter. They typically won't charge an outrageous amount for the service and its worth it to not have to deal with damage.:cheers:

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I will take my car to a wand wash, you know the kind, like a pressure washer wand that you hold and have complete control of, being sure to keep a respectful distance from the paint...

Other than that only at home, never through an automated wash, not ever!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I suspect that you would have no issues with a touchless car wash, provided it doesn't have the "tractor pull". I have a Cayman, so I cannot comment on possible effects on the canvas top, but Porsche makes tough cars. I use touchless in the winter, because at 20 below, you cannot do it any other way. I have never had damage and my paint is still outstanding, and I drive it all winter.

·
Vendor
6,484 Posts
I'm sure touchless will be fine... But i myself only wash my Boxster by hand. With proper tools - it doesn't take long.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Been to several car washes in FL and all did hand wash for $40
In fact before the Parade concours I had one done in Boca because I didn't get there until Sunday night; concours was 5:30am Monday
They did a good job; won!

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I have been taking my 981 to automatic car washes for the last 6 years. Twice a month on average. No issues. No leaks.

It's a car. I have better things to be doing than washing the car by hand.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Pro detail twice a year and regular car washes in between. Never had a problem with convertible or hard top cars. I would rather drive the cars than clean them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm pretty OK with my local touchless car automatic wash. Been taking cars there for decades and their paint is generally in decent shape in terms of swirls and scratches caused by washing.

A well done hand wash is better, but I think that's easier said than done. Too many hand washes actually scrub the dirt actively into the paint because the wash mitt/towel isn't kept clean. Swirls end up in the paint as a result.

In my mind, a good touchless auto car wash is better than a mediocre hand wash. Plus it's a lot easier. I'll do a hand wash every once in a while, but not every time.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
In NY before coming to FL many of the car washes or at least the ones I usually went to pulled the car thru on trolley with crew of guys hand washing it as it went by. I haven't seen that around here. Also washes there were $20-25 and here they are $10-15. They call it brushless but it a cloth material that bangs into your car. Not great. If your Porsche is just a car then you certainly don't care what type car wash you go to as long as it's clean when you drive away.
But to me my $100K Porsche isn't just a car but part of who I am. And since I started concours I'm a fuss budget and don't want it to just look OK but be the great car it is.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The touchless I go to doesn't have anything besides water/cleaning agents touch the car until the final drying station. The final drying station is manned by workers using cloth drying towels that they grab from a clean pile for every panel they dry. (Now the quality of this entirely depends on how clean they keep those towels, but at least they seem to be frequently bringing loads of towels to/from their laundry.) Of course, they're perfectly happy to let you drive it off with no hand drying, either. In any case, this definitely works for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts