Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, my car has started playing up over the past week sporadically not recognising the key after getting in the car and inserting the key into the barrel. The sequence is this - I blip the car - I get in and insert the key - nothing happens - I turn the key - nothing happens - normal electronic steering wheel lock noise does not happen, no lights come on the dash and the "on" ignition stage does not kick in (the stage before cranking the engine). This has happened on a frequent basis but not every time but I fear I am going to be left stranded soon!

I am lost to what this may be??

What I have tried so far:
- Replacement of battery in the key - perhaps completely unrelated
- Removal of car battery and clean up of the terminals and earth points
- Check of battery strength - fine
- Investigation of the Ignition Switch to see if there was a bad connection at the back of it.
- Tried the other key - same intermittent problem

This is the Ignition Switch. This photo is from looking in through the hole that would normally house the key barrel. It has 997 618 159 03 printed on it. When I google this part no I notice that a revised PN 997 618 159 05 is now in existence making me wonder if it was replaced for a faulty reason.

IMG_0484.PNG

It seems like I am not the only one who has had this fault in the past - but there was never a solution found from what I can gather.:(
http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...-car-sporadically-doesnt-recognize-key-2.html

Can anyone offer any suggestions to what is causing this and what I should replace/fix first?

I am tempted to replace the ignition switch but will anything need to be swapped over or programmed for my keys to work with the new switch?

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I should have said, I have tried the other key and experience the problem on both keys.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Check your clutch interlock switch, it may have died.
If this is a manual then racergreg is on to something. :)
Since you stated this does not always happen,also check to see if the floor mat is preventing the clutch pedal from fully depressing to the floor.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Check your clutch interlock switch, it may have died.
If that were it, I think all the lights would come on when the key is turned to the "accessory position", but a bad clutch switch would just prevent the starter from getting power. If, in a normally operating car, when you insert the key and only turn it one click, it does something different, then I'd think the ignition switch is bad.

If I'm seeing/understanding this correctly...I don't think you'd be able to turn the key if the car didn't recognize it. i.e. if you inserted a key from another car, I don't think you'd be able to turn it. Can anyone confirm that? My guess would be that you have a faulty ignition switch. If you're saying that it will all-of-a-sudden work, that would reinforce my guess.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If the clutch interlock switch was dead the dash should give me the message "depress clutch". I get nothing, no lights, no message, nothing.

EDIT - Sorry JonnyQuest you beat me to it there.:) Thanks and I agree with you. Its intermittent and sometimes works fine. I too am suspecting the ignition switch. Can anyone confirm if when swapping these out I need anything reprogramming or recut to get my existing keys to work with the new switch??

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I replaced the switch and didn't need to program anything. Fixed my intermittent start issue.
Perfect, thanks. So I assume the key blade is simply to get in through the door. The starting of the car is by the transponder in the key matching the immobiliser in the car?

I am off to the dealers today to get one. One final question - how on earth do you get access to it? Having had my head squashed into the footwell where the pedals are I can positively say access will be an issue unless I remove something.

I found this too last night which should help those contemplating this. View attachment ignitionSwitch.pdf

·
Registered
7 Posts
Now I had an issue with one of my 2 keys. Key "1" would get me in the car and start the car. When I entered the car using the key blade, the dash would show "KEY 1" but the alarm would sound until I inserted the key in the ignition. So it recognized the key but it would not do anything from the remote buttons and like I said. would even trigger the alarm when I opened the door with it until I put it in the ignition and started the car. It needed to be reprogrammed with the PIWIS for some reason. The battery in it was good. The reason I say this is because you are obviously not having this issue with the key ...I assume your car recognizes the key as you have no complaint about the keys themselves...It would seem to be an ignition switch issue then. You could possibly try to shoot some contact cleaner into the switch, (it evaporates quickly) if something inside the ignition switch is sticky or corroded or remove the switch all together and check the entire unit for issues with the contacts before replacing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick update to say that replacing the ignition switch has completely resolved the problem. Its not too difficult to change as long as you break the zip tie that holds the loom to the back of the panel. You can then drop it down and change it and then feed the switch back up already connected. Thanks all for you help.:beer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts