Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any help on this would be much appreciated. On my '05 Boxster S, I turn the key and depress the clutch pedal, but the engine doesn't turn over. Otherwise, it seems to have enough juice. When I got into the car this morning, the first thing I did was to turn the key to the right to check the oil. As the oil gauge did its countdown, I suddenly saw the "system failure - visit workshop" message on the screen and then it went through a list of failures - ABS, PSM, airbag, spoiler (with the spoiler raising itself) - before the whole instrument panel started blinking. I turned the key to the left and then back to the right and put my foot down on the clutch. Nothing, except the various failure messages, although the blinking is gone. This is the first time I've had such a problem.

Some history: The car worked fine a few days ago. I got the original "system failure" message a few months ago (after polishing the headlight covers with a microfiber towel), but have continued to drive it without incident other than the message on the screen. In April, I installed a new Die Hard battery that has since had to be recharged twice due, I'm assuming, to lack of use of the car for 2-3 weeks at a time. I recently did a full charge and took the car back and forth from Long Island to Connecticut for two days in early June without a single problem (again, other than the system failure message).

As mentioned above, any suggestions would be appreciated. The Boxster goes into the dealer next Friday for its annual service and a check of the system failure. I would love not to have to pay for a flatbed to the dealer.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A followup: I tried starting the car after a few minutes and got only a rat-a-tat sound when I turned the key and depressed the clutch. There were no failure messages and, in fact, the sound started to slow down like the car was losing some juice. I'm thinking the battery needs another boost and have hooked up the charger. It also sounds like I need to head back to Sears for a replacement. I last drove the car for some length on June 6 and then took it out for a brief run this week with no problem.

·
Registered
232 Posts
does your keyless entry work well? i noticed on another car, when my battery was going out, that my keyless entry didn't have range and it would just seem really weak when popping the door locks. i'd definitely try a jump.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
My guess is also the battery. It wouldn't be the first time for a Sears DieHard to die hard after only a month or two. Happened to me on another car and Sears replaced it immediately. No problems after that.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I had the same problem and the dealer (service dept.) seemed to know the fix immediately.

They said that it was the clutch switch.

Here is the part number: 997-613-109-01.

It was repaired under warranty and took 'em 10-15 minutes to do.

I bet this problem is only on manual transmission cars.

Take care and GOD Bless!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I had the same problem and the dealer (service dept.) seemed to know the fix immediately.

They said that it was the clutch switch.

Here is the part number: 997-613-109-01.

It was repaired under warranty and took 'em 10-15 minutes to do.

I bet this problem is only on manual transmission cars.

Take care and GOD Bless!
I see there are multiple sub-topics running in this thread. Different symptoms. If it was the clutch switch, it wouldn't make any sound while turning the key to start. That pulsing rat-a-tat sound is the solenoid - not having enough current.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.