Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 Cayman S with 29k miles. It has a Fabspeed exhaust from the cat back. I bough the car in October 09 and it's been in the dealer shop 3 months so far. The good news is the deal is still honoring the warranty.

Issue - It stared with the CEL, readout indicated 3 cylinder misfires. Dealer reset the code and sent me on my way. CEL came back on, Dealer reloaded the CPU Software and sent me on my way. CEL - Dealer replaced 3 coils. CEL - Dealer ran extensive tests and said it was a cold start misfire in cylinder 1 and did now know why. So far they have 1) changed out 6 intake lifters on that side of the engine, issue still exists. They took off Fabspeed and put on stock exhaust, issue still exists. Now they are saying its excess carbon buildup on the intake valve and are running intake cleaner thought the fuel (lots of times). They say it's only on cold start when the secondary air kicks in and is not occurring when the car is warm. Candidly, the car always ran great except for the annoying CEL light.

Good news, Dealer has been amazingly supportive albeit unable to diagnose the issue. Bad news is I'm very concerned about the car and wondering if I should sell it.

Any Advise is very welcome.

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
I've seen these misfires before, I'm not so certain that our engines simply aren't susceptible to them for some reason and other than the CEL light it is simply an annoyance not an issue for the health of the engine. If your dealer does pinpoint something let us know as it likely affects others here who have also reported misfires. Others have changed plugs, etc. and AFAIK no one has found a solution...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks K-Man and I suspect you are correct. The car ran great and other than the light, I would have never known there was an issue. I asked the dealer to adjust the tolerance and they said they can not due to government regulations. I'm tempted to unscrew the CEL light behind the dash : )

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have the Durametric tool, but the car is still at the dealer. The codes were reading misfires though. The codes were somewhat useless in that it only indicated the cylinder and misfire. Even the dealer had to hook it up to some exta special diagnistic machine that supposidely privides them greater detail. They sent those specs off to their NA Tech Center in Atlanta.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Please let us know if they find a solution. Always good to know. Just curious, have you used any fuel cleaners / additives? What gas do you use? Are you burning oil?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After the 3rd visit to the dealer, I did start to use a fuel cleaner. In fact, that is what the dealer is doing right now, running several through the engine. As a side note, I can only imagine how long they are letting my car run sitting there. Anyway, what I do know is I will start to use fuel cleaner on a very regular basis. There are heavy duty cleaners and more standard cleaners. I will probably opt for a standard cleaner and do it regularly from here on out. As for fuel, I use the highest octain available which is 93 from Sunoco. I'm not always using that brand, but I am using the highest available which sometimes dips down to 91. I will certainly update this post with the results. I am supposed to get the car back tomorrow and I have my first track day coming up in 4 weeks so I'm sure something will transpire.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Track day!? Just get the car back. Track day will clean up your motor nicely. Just look at your exhaust tips at the end of the day. They will be nice and gray inside.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
I've gotten two flashing CEL's the last month right before long trips, including my 2000+ mile run to The Dragon.

The codes are P0300 and P0301 and like the OP, it happened on a cold start.

Once I shut the engine and restart, it goes away. Taking it to the dealer next week, not sure what, if anything, can be done (just my gut feeling).

Just have to resist the temptation to drive with the flashing CE light just to make the condition stick so that we know what the issue is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've gotten two flashing CEL's the last month right before long trips, including my 2000+ mile run to The Dragon.

The codes are P0300 and P0301 and like the OP, it happened on a cold start.

Once I shut the engine and restart, it goes away. Taking it to the dealer next week, not sure what, if anything, can be done (just my gut feeling).

Just have to resist the temptation to drive with the flashing CE light just to make the condition stick so that we know what the issue is.
fuel injector is fouled with carbon, must be replaced. had this on my audi that was dfi.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Closing the loop on this thread... I got the car back from the dealer, drove it 5 times and so far so good. Unfortunately, I never got a strait answer from the dealer on the exact cause. It appears they just kept tweaking things until it went away. Even after all this, I do love to drive that car!

·
Registered
12 Posts
BMW had these problems back in the 80's and I always used Techron by Chevron to stop the build up from happening. It is caused by low octane gas over a period of time, I notice my car uses almost twice the amount of fuel when ethanol is in it. Try some unleaded Sunoco race fuel, and drive it like you mean it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
BMW had these problems back in the 80's and I always used Techron by Chevron to stop the build up from happening. It is caused by low octane gas over a period of time, I notice my car uses almost twice the amount of fuel when ethanol is in it. Try some unleaded Sunoco race fuel, and drive it like you mean it!
using techron and other fuel additives really will not help the DFI/FSI motors because the fuel injectors are not positioned in a manner where the intake valves are cleaned. Since the fuel injector is INSIDE the combustion chamber, the valves never see the fuel system cleaner prior to combustion. additionally, the fuel injectors themselves do not really benefit from use of the fuel system cleaner because again, there is no cleaning mechanism inside the combustion chamber. your answer is on point however because the use of high octane gas coupled with aggressive driving allows for all that carbon to get cleaned out before it forms a deposit. thats really the only way you can keep DFI/FSI motors clean. the VW/Audi forums are swarming with posts on this.

the use of ethanol in gasoline is the culprit because it lowers the combustion temperature in the cylinder head allowing for deposits to form on the fuel injector and exhaust valves. this causes random cylinder misfires because the fuel injector pattern at cold-start is off. usually this problem is compounded by colder weather. my audi apr stage 2+ audi a3 had this problem because the fuel injectors became fouled. Audi replaced the third fuel injector and the car was fine for about a year, then started getting hiccups again in the cold, so I demanded (and they agreed) replacement of the remaining fuel injectors and a full cleaning of the motor. they took the motor apart and physically cleaned the deposits out of the motor. after that, i never had another problem with the motor again. the previous owner used 87 octane gas with ethanol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First, thank you all for your input. This has been informative for sure. The dealer wrote me back and is sticking with the opinion that it was carbon buildup on the intake values and suggested I continue to use high octane and rentech every now and then. While I commend the dealer for honoring the repair after warranty, my gut tells me we never really got to the bottom of the issue. With that said, car is running great but it's been in the 80's since I got it back so not exactly a "cold" start.

On a side note, I found a gas station from sunoco that sells 98 octane. There is a list of them on their website. I have not tried it yet, but plan to on my next fill up.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
How many miles of the 29K were on it when you got it? You never know what type of gas was used prior to your getting it. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there who abide by 'octane is octane' and do not understand that it is the additives that make a huge difference. I remember having an S4 a few years ago and had slightly rough idle......dealer asked what we were using and I told them (BP......sorry everybody) and he said, Texaco, Exxon, Chevron.........best if it has the Chevron additives. Two tankfuls later and the rough idle was gone. Chevron is what I use religiously now. I also remember reading a couple years back that most manufacturers run Chevtron and/or the techrolyene (spelling) additive when they go for EPA mileage certification.....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wow, just yesterday I had my first track day and after my first run I too had a cel light come on. It did not come on until after I went to pick up lunch and add a small amount of 91oct. to the car. It was about 45minutes after the session. One of the guys had a code reader there and plugged it in. The code read 421... From what I found out it is some sort of o2 reading, I think. The thing is, I have recently replaced my oem exhaust with fabspeed headers(200) and mufflers. Now, one of the guys at the track asked if the cel was blinking and it was not. He said if it was, that there was a more direr need for attention. The car also did not go into a limp or protection mode. I did clear this code and drove it home (90 mile) without it coming on. I am very concerned about, some of the story's I have heard, about the possibilities of damage to the cylinder's, valves and catalytic converters. Since I have had this exhaust and just before it, it has had a ossolating idle along with a ruff cold start. So this story is sounding awful similar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In terms of miles, the car had 27k before I bought it so who knows what the prior owner did. The car did have the regular services and I had records of that. I also did a very complrehensive physical inspection, but I did not do a motor inspection other then driving it. JLT's explanation makes the most sense to me and come to think of it I have used Wawa gasoline several times in the car and apparently it has 10% ethonol. I will be more aware of the type of fuel I use in this car. What is slightly sad is my BMW's are like tanks and take anything I throw at them including bad gas on occasion.

What would be interesting to know is to hear from someone with over 50+K miles on a Cayman S that has not had a CEL. We hear all the bad, but it would be nice to hear some good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
your bimmers are fuel injected, not direct injected. very different in the fuel system, as one is a regular fuel injection method and the other is a high pressure atomization fuel injection system, the latter, does not work well with ethanol mix gas due to its lower burn temperature. check the audi forums for posts about this, they are currently the bane of every 2.0T motors existence.

crank that motor and heat that sucker up, burn that carbon out before it forms :hilarious:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For those still reading this post, here is my final update. I tracked the car this week and everything went great. Car did amazing and no check engine light. I will be running techrun through it on next fill up. My lesson learned on this one is to always us the highest octane gas and run fuel cleaner through the car at least 4 times a year. I have no proof, but I bet if you do this from the day the car is new, you will get a longer, issue free life out of your car.

PS - for those interested, Track Days are a blast and they do not have to be an abuse to your car. I did not go above 6800 Rev's and did not roll the tires over, but was still the fastest car in my class.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.