Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Because I have both the Motor-Lux and Safetech Composites Extended Carbon Fiber rear spoiler, I thought I would post some comparisons. I'll describe Safetech Composite's spoiler in a little more detail since Motor-Lux has a whole thread dedicated to their own product line. (http://www.planet-9.com/site-vendors-sponsors/35282-motor-lux-carbon-fiber-parts.html).

Background
About a year ago, I started looking for a carbon fiber spoiler that was a little larger than the OEM spoiler. I was not really into the larger spoilers from either Techart or Speedart as I thought those were too large. I also wanted to keep the original spoiler's lowering and raising capability. At the time, Motor-Lux was probably the only vendor/sponsor that met my specifications and was very reasonably priced.

Almost a year later, someone on the forum (who shall remain nameless unless they want to come out) read my complaints about Motor-Lux and mentioned that Rico at Safetech Composites also had a carbon fiber extended rear spoiler and I should check it out. I gave Rico a call and after talking with him for about five minutes, I was impressed enough to order another rear spoiler.

Description
The Safetech carbon fiber extended spoiler comes in two finishes, matte and gloss. I ordered the gloss based on Rico's recommendation. The spoiler is a little smaller and shaped a little different in comparison to the Motor-Lux spoiler. The shape of the Safetech spoiler seems to follow the lines of the trunk lid whereas the Motor-Lux spoiler seems more rectangular in shape and more purposeful.

Safetech's spoiler comes with its own screws that are a little longer than stock and the screw holes in the spoiler itself were fitted with metal threads. Motor-Lux uses the OEM screws and the screw holes left a lot to be desired.

Quality
Quality of the Safetech Composites' spoiler is by far the best I've seen. There were no visible flaws in the finish and the installation went very smooth. Once installed, the spoiler felt very sturdy. The Motor-Lux spoiler suffered from many issues such as finish and installation. More specifically, there were bubbles in the clear coat finish, a carbon fiber smear mark along the underside (which I was told was normal), and problems with the screw holes.

Customer Service
My dealings with Rico at Safetech Composites were great. I did have to call Rico to see if he sent out the spoiler as specified and found that he hadn't yet because he was so busy filling orders for his major clients that he just hadn't had the time. Totally understandable and I told him I was just wondering when it was going out because I wanted to make sure I was around to receive it. He apologized for the delay and said that he would overnight it at no additional cost. In fact, as soon as he sent it out, I received an email a with tracking number. I was very impressed.

Motor-Lux customer service was generally okay. They responded to my questions within a few days and it took a few weeks for the spoiler to arrive. I had to return a spoiler because of some flaws and I do not understand why I have to pay for shipping when defects were found in the manufacturing of the spoiler. Also, it seems the only way to reach Motor-Lux is by PM or email.

Price
The price of the Safetech spoiler is about the same as the cost of the Motor-Lux spoiler.

Installation
Installation of the Safetech spoiler took all of 15 minutes. It was simply a matter of unscrewing the original spoiler and screwing on the new one. The Motor-Lux spoiler took a little more effort to get it to fit correctly and also required fixing one of the screw holes.

Neither came with installation instructions but they can be easily found here:
http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=248&cat=3

Pics
Ken posted some pics back in August. Mine are included in this thread.
http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=469&userid=

Motor-Lux pics can be found here: http://www.planet-9.com/site-vendors-sponsors/35282-motor-lux-carbon-fiber-parts.html

Summary
I have to say that I am very impressed with Safetech Composites and their spoiler. After talking with Rico and looking closely at their product, I can see that he spent a lot time in the design and manufacturing of the spoiler. The lines of the spoiler follow the lines of the car. It is quite apparent that he has a lot of passion for what he does.

As for Motor-Lux, I actually prefer the design of the Motor-Lux spoiler over Safetech's but it is a close call. Again, Motor-Lux seems more purposeful whereas Safetech's is more integrated. It's all a matter of what you want. The problem is in the Motor-Lux quality and the customer support is questionable based on other people's feedback. I just don't see the passion. In the end, Motor-Lux has a nice design but failed on the follow through.

Contact
Both Safetech's and Motor-Lux's contact information has been posted in other threads but I will post it here as well.

Rico Campos
Safetech Composites Inc.
14188 SW 139th Ct
Miami,Fl 33186
786-340 6180
786-326 4446 cel.

Planet-9 Username: RicoCamos
email: [email protected]
web: Coming Soon... (as of this writing, the website does not seem to be working)

Motor-Lux
email: [email protected]
web: Home

I am in no way affiliated with Safetech or Motor-Lux. I hope those that are considering an extended carbon fiber spoiler find this review helpful. In the end, I could not be happier with Safetech's spoiler.

-Moto

** Pics of the spoiler on the car is Safetech Composites**

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thx so much for taking the time to post your thoughts. Really like the look of the spoiler on the car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thx so much for taking the time to post your thoughts. Really like the look of the spoiler on the car.
Looks sweet, anyone know how well it holds up to UV? Here in FL the sun kills everything and I have seen many CF products turn Yellow from the sun. I know GM says they spent a huge amount of money coming up with the coating for the ZR1's bare CF to solve the issue. Just wondering if going with a CF spoiler would be smart down here in the sunshine state

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the write up! I been looking for a spoiler to enhance the OEM look and this is absolutely perfect! Wish their website was working. What do they call that spoiler so I can make reference to it when I call them. Do they also paint to color match?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You all are very welcome.

Zinje, call up Rico and ask for the carbon fiber rear spoiler for the Cayman. He'll ask you whether you want it in matte or gloss and that's pretty much it. Next is making payment arrangements.

I do not think they color match but it might be worth asking. I'm thinking about doing that with the Motor-Lux to see how it turns out but more than likely I'll just sell it for cheap.

Enjoy!
-Moto

Thanks for the write up! I been looking for a spoiler to enhance the OEM look and this is absolutely perfect! Wish their website was working. What do they call that spoiler so I can make reference to it when I call them. Do they also paint to color match?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
You all are very welcome.

Zinje, call up Rico and ask for the carbon fiber rear spoiler for the Cayman. He'll ask you whether you want it in matte or gloss and that's pretty much it. Next is making payment arrangements.

I do not think they color match but it might be worth asking. I'm thinking about doing that with the Motor-Lux to see how it turns out but more than likely I'll just sell it for cheap.

Enjoy!
-Moto
Thanks for the write-up. With the Safetech spoiler, can the spoiler mechanism retract all the way to the bottom without breaking loose? I believe that's something the Motorlux spoiler cannot do.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Titanic,

I'm not sure if I understand your question but I haven't had any problems with either the Safetech or Motor-Lux spoiler breaking loose when retracted all the way. No adjustments were needed in that regard.

The close up pic of the spoiler is in its normal down position.

I hope this answered your question.
-Moto

Thanks for the write-up. With the Safetech spoiler, can the spoiler mechanism retract all the way to the bottom without breaking loose? I believe that's something the Motorlux spoiler cannot do.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Titanic,

I'm not sure if I understand your question but I haven't had any problems with either the Safetech or Motor-Lux spoiler breaking loose when retracted all the way. No adjustments were needed in that regard.

The close up pic of the spoiler is in its normal down position.

I hope this answered your question.
-Moto
Well thanks for pointing that out. That's probably my problem because I have an aftermarket rear bumper. The trunk lip that comes up from the rear bumper could be of a different shape and as a result the Motorlux spoiler could not retract completely to the bottom.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It sits well with me too since it follows the lines of the trunk. I did not go with motor-lux
for this reason and now I can consider this one!

What is the cost for the gloss finish. Web page still not working.

·
Former Member
1,685 Posts
Because I have both the Motor-Lux and Safetech Composites Extended Carbon Fiber rear spoiler, I thought I would post some comparisons...
Very informative write-up. I maybe be giving Safetech a call for a quality produced Extended Rear Spoiler :).

zornet :):burnout:

·
Porsche Prophet
942 Posts

Thanks!
I have ordered the extended spoiler (CF gloss)...just call him and ask for the rear spoiler...but Rico will spray it in any color...I may order the front spoiler (see photo attached) from him and he stated he can paint it, etc...BTW...he actually shipped me the rear spoiler (was late in his delivery and apologize, shipped it overnight at his expense) and waited for my reaction to the quality and then asked me to send him a check...try and do that with Motor-Lux...

·
Registered
3 Posts
VSOP,answering your question about UV protection for bare carbon I would like to say that I have RSR and F430 wings racing for years and they still have the same clear color.There are some materials that are sprayed several layers on top of the bare carbon does the protection very well.It is an expensive and time consuming process but is the only one that I know so far.
Regards, Rico

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Titanic,

Have you taken a look at Ken's pics of his bumper/spoiler (posted above)? It looks like he has an aftermarket rear bumper as well. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember awhile back somebody needing to put 'spacers' in so that the spoiler would sit higher. That might have been Ken but not sure.

Good luck!
-Moto

Well thanks for pointing that out. That's probably my problem because I have an aftermarket rear bumper. The trunk lip that comes up from the rear bumper could be of a different shape and as a result the Motorlux spoiler could not retract completely to the bottom.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm hoping that Rico will post up pricing but I'd say the next best thing is to call him and ask. It is definitely worth it.

-Moto

What is the cost for the gloss finish. Web page still not working.

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
VSOP,answering your question about UV protection for bare carbon I would like to say that I have RSR and F430 wings racing for years and they still have the same clear color.There are some materials that are sprayed several layers on top of the bare carbon does the protection very well.It is an expensive and time consuming process but is the only one that I know so far.
Regards, Rico
Rico,

Pls PM me with the price, options and shipping to Alberta, Canada - thx! I like what I see.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After 'talking' with Rico, he said it was okay to post pricing so here goes:

Retail: $695.00
Planet-9 members: $645.00

Just mention you saw it on the Planet-9 website to get member pricing. Pricing does NOT include shipping.

Thanks Rico!
-Moto

I'm hoping that Rico will post up pricing but I'd say the next best thing is to call him and ask. It is definitely worth it.

-Moto

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I have ordered the extended spoiler (CF gloss)...just call him and ask for the rear spoiler...but Rico will spray it in any color...I may order the front spoiler (see photo attached) from him and he stated he can paint it.
I stopped by the shop today and got this pic of the front spoiler/splitter. He is doing a lot of parts for various race teams and molded the piece from an ALMS factory car so it does work. It is modified only a bit to fit the Cayman. I also saw a Cayman rear hatch in carbon that saves around 20 or more pounds.

·
Registered
79 Posts
After reviewing this thread I was convinced in his workmanship, so I called him up a couple days ago. I ordered the rear spoiler painted to match the car. He's pretty busy with other projects but expects mine to be done in a couple weeks. Can't wait!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I stopped by the shop today and got this pic of the front spoiler/splitter. He is doing a lot of parts for various race teams and molded the piece from an ALMS factory car so it does work. It is modified only a bit to fit the Cayman. I also saw a Cayman rear hatch in carbon that saves around 20 or more pounds.
I really like this spoiler but in the street it won't survive a week with speed bumps etc...
I wish he could make it in plastic (ala GT3).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts