Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only recently returned to the forum. Sold my Cayman years ago, now have a 718 Boxster GTS.
I love the car, everything about it, aside from the external mirrors.
The car is Racing Yellow, love the car and the color, not so fond of the mirrors on the flanks. I want to tone it down.
Suggestions ae welcome. I thought there would be lots of carbon fiber options but I haven't found them.
Please chime in on any way you think I can tone down the ugly mirrors.
WaterdogGT

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had matte CF covers on my 2017 718 mirrors but can only find gloss now. For the side vent and rear wing replacements vs. covers I contacted the manufacturer in China and negotiated a matte clear coat/finish for about $20 more however I haven't found anyone willing to do this for the mirror covers - presumably this means they are already fabricated and sitting in a warehouse...

·
Registered
2022 Cayman T (On Order)
204 Posts
There are wrapping materials from 3M you an use to wrap the mirrors in a different color to play with. I am looking to order a Racing Yellow Cayman T and it has Agate Grey mirrors and it looks good in that because it matches the Cayman T side stripe, rear logo color and wheels. You can experiment with those wraps on your covers without making it permanent.

If you only care that the mirrors look good to you then that's great. If you care if others will think it looks good, then fake or even real carbon fiber seems popular and trendy but I wanted to throw my 2 cents worth in case you care. I'm sure I'm in the minority but it looks lame and poserish. I come from racing and worked for a factory GTP race team that innovated carbon fiber use but it was done for performance advantage not "looks." Actually we painted our carbon fiber with our livery and when we didn't paint it, it was to save time, weight and money on parts that wouldn't be seen or often replaced. So what matters is what makes you happy but if you wanted to make your car attractive to others as well, just wanted to share with you that not everyone is a fan of the dated exposed carbon look.

Finally, on the covering materials, I would try combinations of the 3M covering materials and they are removeable as well.

Best wishes and nice to see someone else show racing yellow some love. It suits the car very well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Confirmed: Matte CF covers are available.

Details: I recently secured an allocation for another 718 and would like to repeat the CF accents above. I contacted Mcarcar Kit on Amazon who originally custom made the vents and rear wing for me in matte finish [vs gloss] and they are willing to make anything for me in matte again including the mirror covers. They're very responsive and were chatting with me on WhatsApp later the same day as the request.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I've neglected this thread for so long, thanks for all the well considered responses.
I sourced a pair of Chinese made gloss carbon fiber caps for the mirrors through Amazon. I'd say they fit 'nearly' perfectly, certainly within my comfort level.
I don't really care about 'trends' or what anyone else thinks. I wanted to tone down the visual impact of huge yellow mirror shells and this product suits my needs. I think they look great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts