Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering purchasing a 981 Boxster with the 911 Turbo wheels. Not a big fan of those wheels as they are a bit busy. Which wheels do you like more, the Carrera S or Turbo wheels? Any maintenance issues with either? Would it be difficult to find someone to swap?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the Carrera S wheel set with the Platinum finish. I have had the car for close to four years with no issues and they are easy to keep clean. Not a fan of the 911 Turbo wheel look. I like the appearance of the Carrera S or Carrera Classic wheels.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The Turbo wheel is forged, other factory wheels are not afaik. Probably not a big consideration in most cases.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
The Turbo wheels are the only forged factory wheels for the 981 indeed, and also the lightest, but my guess is not my much. The reason is they're wider than stock by 0.5" at all corners, from 8.0/9.5 to 8.5/10.0, but with the same tires. Only the Techno (non-forged) wheels are of the same width as the Turbos. I have the more desirable Turbo look, which is black everywhere except the polished surfaces, but man, they were expensive as hell. And yes, they're a bit 'busy' for those of us who like cleaning the wheels on the inside, but I'm still (barely) able to do so, although with much more difficulty. Having said that, they're the best looking wheels on a black car (like mine) IMO. But if I had the choice, I'd have gone with the standard GTS Carrera S wheels, and save over 3 grand on the 'upgrade' (ouch). But now that I have them, will go with 245/275 tires, since they're wider than optimal for 235/265s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, about to pick up an used 981 Boxster GTS, but it's fitted with the option classic style wheels... which I do not like. I want to get a set of the Carrera S wheels and is wondering if the 981 GTS standard Carrera S type wheel is exactly the same width and offset as the 991 Carrera S wheels? Can I just be looking for the 991 Carrera S wheels?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Different offsets and widths unfortunately, you'll need to find a set of Boxster / Cayman specific wheels.

Carrera S wheels for me are by far the best stock wheel to chose from. I had a set in platinum on mine and they looked great. I only swapped them for the Boxster Spyder wheels which to me are just perfection.
Not a fan of the turbo wheels at all and that finish it hard work to keep looking good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.