Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody here have any experience on buying a Porsche from CarMax, and with their extended warranty (called MaxCare) I’m particularly interested to find out if Porsche dealer will accept the CarMax warranty for covered repairs.

A few years ago Doug DeMaro, who writes a automotive column for Oversteer, wrote about buying a Range Rover from CarMax, and getting a 6 year warranty that paid for itself in the first year. He got all his work done at a Range Rover dealer. I was wondering if Porsche would do the same? Or do they balk at 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party warranties?

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I would suspect that you have to have your car serviced at a CarMax dealer, but you can check the CarMax warranty literature to make sure. The reason for my skepticism is that Porsche labor rates are probably double those for CarMax.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently picked up a 2014 base Cayman from Carmax. I took it to local Porsche dealer for a PrePurchase Inspection. Asked about the Carmax warranty. They said the work had to be authorized by Carmax first, then they’d do the work but I’d have to pay and have Carmax refund me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought my 987.2 from CarMax back in 2015 with only 9k on the odo. I've taken it to Porsche dealers twice for warranty work, first for a dead alternator, and second for a shifter gripe they couldn't duplicate. The alternator fix was easy and I only paid the $150 deductible (no deductible if you take it to CarMax, but no...). Second time I had to eat the diagnostic cost because they couldn't dupe it. One more year left on the warranty, but it paid for about half the cost with the alternator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts