Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S 6spd
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started out being in the market for exhaust tips. Once I realized that the $400 or so would only get me an improvement in appearance, not sound or performance, I moved on to looking into a change of the exhaust system. Nothing crazy, just Cat back. While stumbling around and in and out of many rabbit holes during my research I came upon this product/service. They take a standard exhaust and modify the guts to give it a more robust sound and some HP and TQ increase.

I have read a bunch of reviews as well as listened to the sound clips. I believe I am sold!!! I am wondering if anyone has done this and what they think.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Many folks have done this, search around.

I have the Cayman R exhaust in my 987.1 base and Gert has been amazing. Definitely made a huge difference, it’s worth it.

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S 6MT Artic Silver/Terracotta
5 Posts
Couldn't be happier with Carnewal exhaust from Gert. The sound is pure Porsche.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I had it on my 06CS, beautiful sound. Only issue for me was drone @ 2.8k-3k RPM. At highway cruising speed was annoying in long trips. But made great gargle noises and had one of the best sounds.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I do not have a Carnewal exhaust but I've been on this form for a very long time and this this catback/mod is almost unanimously agreed to be the best combination of sound, minimum drone and cost. No one has ever reported that they regretted getting it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I do not have a Carnewal exhaust but I've been on this form for a very long time and this this catback/mod is almost unanimously agreed to be the best combination of sound, minimum drone and cost. No one has ever reported that they regretted getting it.
Does a totally drone free exhaust upgrade (apart from PSE) exist?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I’ve had my Carnewal exhaust for about five years now. Best money spent on a mod ever.
At steady cruising speed there should be no drone with this exhaust mod, but when you have a load on the engine (climbing a hill for example) it will drone some.
My philosophy on exhaust systems is that they should amplify the nature of the engine and should not be loud for loud’s sake. The Carnewal nails that IMO. The beauty of the the mod is that you retain the stock muffler (appearance) but you have a more free flowing system with just enough sound amplification to make you smile.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I started out being in the market for exhaust tips. Once I realized that the $400 or so would only get me an improvement in appearance, not sound or performance, I moved on to looking into a change of the exhaust system. Nothing crazy, just Cat back. While stumbling around and in and out of many rabbit holes during my research I came upon this product/service. They take a standard exhaust and modify the guts to give it a more robust sound and some HP and TQ increase.

I have read a bunch of reviews as well as listened to the sound clips. I believe I am sold!!! I am wondering if anyone has done this and what they think.

I went down probably a similar rabbit hole, ended up with the Carnewal and couldn't be happier. Sound is awesome and not too loud. I did the end pipe modification with mandrell bends posted on Planet-9 and have twin pipes like I couldn't afford.

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
38 Posts
Loved the carnival exhaust. Loud but not too loud. Zero drone. Sold the car 2yrs after installing, but kept the Carnewal exhaust. If you have a 987.1 and interested in getting one for half the price from me, let me know.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I’ve had my Carnewal exhaust for about five years now. Best money spent on a mod ever.
At steady cruising speed there should be no drone with this exhaust mod, but when you have a load on the engine (climbing a hill for example) it will drone some.
My philosophy on exhaust systems is that they should amplify the nature of the engine and should not be loud for loud’s sake. The Carnewal nails that IMO. The beauty of the the mod is that you retain the stock muffler (appearance) but you have a more free flowing system with just enough sound amplification to make you smile.
Exactly what I'm looking for for my "new" 2014 981 Cayman. I suppose adding Soul x tips would also be a plus if not only for looks.

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
38 Posts
Hello, I had quite a few contacted me for my Carnewal GT Exhaust. Instead of juggling with PM everyone separately, I want to throw the following out there:

Cantrell is selling it for $1400 + shipping. I will sell it for $500 + shipping or best offer. Here are some pics for my 987.1 Carnewal GT exhaust: Car - Porche 987.1 Carnewal Exhaust

I also have a dual-tip tailpipe for this exhaust. I don't know the going price for such an item. How about $100 + shipping or best offer? Here are some pics of the dual-tip tailpipe: Car - Porsche 987.1 Dual Tips Exhaust

If you are interested, I will let it go to the first best offer for each of those two items. I no longer need these items. I hope they will find a home with a fellow Porsche 987. Thank you for your interest!

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
38 Posts
Hello, I had quite a few contacted me for my Carnewal GT Exhaust. Instead of juggling with PM everyone separately, I want to throw the following out there:

Cantrell is selling it for $1400 + shipping. I will sell it for $500 + shipping or best offer. Here are some pics for my 987.1 Carnewal GT exhaust: Car - Porche 987.1 Carnewal Exhaust

I also have a dual-tip tailpipe for this exhaust. I don't know the going price for such an item. How about $100 + shipping or best offer? Here are some pics of the dual-tip tailpipe: Car - Porsche 987.1 Dual Tips Exhaust

If you are interested, I will let it go to the first best offer for each of those two items. I no longer need these items. I hope they will find a home with a fellow Porsche 987. Thank you for your interest!
Hello, I had just accepted an offer from a Planet-9 member. So the exhaust is no longer available. Thanks to those who were interested in my 987.1 Carnewal GT exhaust.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well, I'll be installing a Carnewal modified exhaust tomorrow.

It's officially the first job that will be performed on my new LIFT!

I waited until I am 63 for my first Porsche, and my first lift. Both of which have me scratching my head for why I waited so long. :)

I love that little 2.7 flat6. But it sounds like somebody is holding their hand over its mouth when it's singing. Can't wait to hear it with a cleared throat.

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
38 Posts

I waited until I am 63 for my first Porsche, and my first lift. Both of which have me scratching my head for why I waited so long. :)

I love that little 2.7 flat6. But it sounds like somebody is holding their hand over its mouth when it's singing. Can't wait to hear it with a cleared throat.

Nice! I am jealous of your garage and the lift. My current garage is a small 2-car garage, so it's nowhere near as spacious as yours. And I am in the process of downsizing as part of being an empty nester. So my future garage will be smaller yet. If I have a lift like yours, I'd probably hang out there with a six-pack and tinker with a car all day long.
Good lucks with the installs. Those exhaust bolts tend to be rusted and sieged up, a blow torch will be required if that's the case.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thank you Chitown388!

I'll be armed with the right tools and some extra hardware.

The garage is really my barn. And it has a guest house built into the front portion. About 11 acres and in the middle of nowhere. Raised my family here.
I've added dwellings as the years went by and offered them to the kids in an effort to keep my grandkids close to Pawpaw. :) I currently have 6 of the little ones running wild daily. It's an adventure.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Congratulations on all accounts. I’m 57 and just bought my first Porsche (981) —been dreaming of a 911 since I was ~15. Carnewal and Soul x-tips are on my mod-wish-list.

I went with a Quick Jack and also wish I’d done that years ago. Happy wrenching!

·
Registered
183 Posts
@ELCID86 back at you with the congratulations.

Wow, what a beautiful first Porsche!

So I was expecting a wrestling match with those exhaust flange nuts based on many posts and a few youtube vids. But I soaked them with PB for a couple of hours before attempting to breaking them loose and 5 of the 6 popped free without hassle. The one that didn't was so corroded that the 13mm socket was too big, but by the smallest margin. (I only let it slip one time)

I put a 6-point ½" on it just to see if the slightly smaller socket would bite better. Worked like a charm.

The used Carnewal exhaust must have been from a higher mileage car, and/or a different climate. It's very solid, but lots of surface corrosion.

I'm in no rush, so I decided to buff them with a wire brush to see if they would clean up. A little shot of before/after below.

I'm really enjoying working on this car and discovering how it is put together. The exhaust hanger design is simple but elegant. Very well done.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Incurable Gearhead
990 Posts
Years ago I was fortunate to come across a Cayman R based Carnewal GT for sale by a P9 member who also happened to live nearby. Super nice fellow, he actually brought it over, and I love the exhaust to this day.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts