Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
YouTube video of 987.2 with FVD Headers w/200-cell HJS cats, Carnewal mod, Soul X-pipe

I’ve been extremely happy with the Carnewal system. Best sounding system I’ve seen. I’ve had 987.1 stock, 987.1 Tubi, 987.2 stock, 987.2 Tubi, 987.2 Carnewal and I’m staying put.
YouTube video of 987.2 with FVD Headers w/200-cell HJS cats, Carnewal mod, Soul X-pipe

I’ve been extremely happy with the Carnewal system. Best sounding system I’ve seen. I’ve had 987.1 stock, 987.1 Tubi, 987.2 stock, 987.2 Tubi, 987.2 Carnewal and I’m staying put.
Sounds amazing. I just shipped out a stock exhaust to Cantrellmotorsports for Carnewal mod. Can wait till it gets here.

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
38 Posts
@ELCID86 back at you with the congratulations.

Wow, what a beautiful first Porsche!

So I was expecting a wrestling match with those exhaust flange nuts based on many posts and a few youtube vids. But I soaked them with PB for a couple of hours before attempting to breaking them loose and 5 of the 6 popped free without hassle. The one that didn't was so corroded that the 13mm socket was too big, but by the smallest margin. (I only let it slip one time)

I put a 6-point ½" on it just to see if the slightly smaller socket would bite better. Worked like a charm.

The used Carnewal exhaust must have been from a higher mileage car, and/or a different climate. It's very solid, but lots of surface corrosion.

I'm in no rush, so I decided to buff them with a wire brush to see if they would clean up. A little shot of before/after below.

I'm really enjoying working on this car and discovering how it is put together. The exhaust hanger design is simple but elegant. Very well done.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Wow! Nice job on cleaning up the exhaust. As you have already known, those came from Chicago. Even though I didn't drive in the snow, I even avoided driving in the rain, and yet those exhausts got mighty corroded. Do post a pic after the installation.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wow! Nice job on cleaning up the exhaust. As you have already known, those came from Chicago. Even though I didn't drive in the snow, I even avoided driving in the rain, and yet those exhausts got mighty corroded. Do post a pic after the installation.
Chitown388, I know I have thanked you already, but I have to do it ONE MORE TIME, Cuz about 10 minutes ago I got a chance to go mount the tires and drop it off the lift.

Yea, I started it for the first time. No YouTube video or smartphone recording can do that sound justice. Admittedly it was amplified a bit in the shop but I was wide-eyed when it lit up.

I got out and stood behind it and when it dropped from the high-idle to normal, that low gurgle is just wonderful.

And since it wasn't good and warmed up (oil), I refrained from rapping it up, but I did do a few whips to 3000. What a difference from the oem chokehold!

I'm not normally affected by exhaust sound as most, but I unabashedly am willing to admit that sound reaches your nerves. In a good way.

Here's a before/after per your request. I expect after a few heat cycles the mufflers will get a nice gold patina? (car is filthy from the shop dust and wet weather)

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
38 Posts
Chitown388, I know I have thanked you already, but I have to do it ONE MORE TIME, Cuz about 10 minutes ago I got a chance to go mount the tires and drop it off the lift.

Yea, I started it for the first time. No YouTube video or smartphone recording can do that sound justice. Admittedly it was amplified a bit in the shop but I was wide-eyed when it lit up.

I got out and stood behind it and when it dropped from the high-idle to normal, that low gurgle is just wonderful.

And since it wasn't good and warmed up (oil), I refrained from rapping it up, but I did do a few whips to 3000. What a difference from the oem chokehold!

I'm not normally affected by exhaust sound as most, but I unabashedly am willing to admit that sound reaches your nerves. In a good way.

Here's a before/after per your request. I expect after a few heat cycles the mufflers will get a nice gold patina? (car is filthy from the shop dust and wet weather)

Ah... so glad the Carnewal stirred your soul. The dual-tip looks great too! So glad that my Carnewal found a home with you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is excellent! Sounds really good. Any drone at any range even if minimal?
Nothing that I consider drone really. If you try to get on it from a high gear @ 2k or something, it's a little hollow, but nothing like Tubi and well in the daily driver comfort zone.

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
587 Posts
If what I have read that there is no obvious cut and weld after the Carnewal exhaust is right, it was probably done by cutting a hole on the inside pipe using an extended shaft die grinder (the grinder is passed through the 3" long pipe where the exhaust tip connects). Exhaust gas flow will be closer to the T tips. If this is true, anyone can do it for fraction of the price using die grinder (Chicago Electric $47 from Harbor Freight) with $15 dual cut carbide burr. I was actually contemplating this route on my Cayman 981 but I hope I'll get a PSE soon.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I looked every square inch over pretty good while cleaning the exhaust up. (with wire wheels and heavy duty drill) I admit that I didn't see any scars from cutting/welding, except what looked like what would have been original manufacturing.

But that doesn't mean that they don't have some method for opening the original seam and then close it back up?

Regardless, $650 is pretty inexpensive for anything Porsche, especially considering the results. Not to mention I would just be guessing with those harbor freight tools in my hand. :)

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S
17 Posts
Snakebitten—I was curious about your muffler cleaning procedure? Would you be willing to elaborate on your process? I’m waiting for my mufflers to get back from Cantrell and I want them to look as good as yours before I remount them!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Snakebitten—I was curious about your muffler cleaning procedure? Would you be willing to elaborate on your process? I’m waiting for my mufflers to get back from Cantrell and I want them to look as good as yours before I remount them!
It was way simpler than you might think.

First, I got a really comfortable chair to sit in for a few hours. :)
Then I put a work-top at the right height and put some cardboard on it as a non-slip surface.

Grabbed a heavy duty ½" drill and a couple of fresh wire wheels. Nothing fancy. Cheap Harbor Freight ones.

The trick for me was to let the wheel and the weight of the drill do the work. Very little pressure on my part. (the metallurgy is different around the catalytic converter, and requires some extra pressure applied by me)

RPMs were about 50%. Not slow, not fast. I kept the direction the same for as much as possible, and only went side-grain when required. You can't really see the opposing grain unless you are up close, and I suspect that a few heat cycles will create a fresh golden patina and the grain will be even less visible?

Keep a cold drink nearby and just don't be in a hurry. Maybe an hour for each muffler. Then a few minutes on the connector pipe and tip pipe.

Good luck

·
Registered
175 Posts
@ELCID86 back at you with the congratulations.

Wow, what a beautiful first Porsche!

So I was expecting a wrestling match with those exhaust flange nuts based on many posts and a few youtube vids. But I soaked them with PB for a couple of hours before attempting to breaking them loose and 5 of the 6 popped free without hassle. The one that didn't was so corroded that the 13mm socket was too big, but by the smallest margin. (I only let it slip one time)

I put a 6-point ½" on it just to see if the slightly smaller socket would bite better. Worked like a charm.

The used Carnewal exhaust must have been from a higher mileage car, and/or a different climate. It's very solid, but lots of surface corrosion.

I'm in no rush, so I decided to buff them with a wire brush to see if they would clean up. A little shot of before/after below.
Thank you, I'm really enjoying it. And nice work on cleaning up that exhaust! I was tempted to by a Sports/Paddle steering wheel but think the first major mod will be an exhaust. Carnewal is on the top of that list. I do wonder if you or anyone else here has any thoughts on Gert Carnewal's comments to me via email:

"The GT exhaust works very well with the original tail pipes from the 981 base or S

Avoid the X or Y pipes The virus that is knockoff or rebranded Chinese exhaust pieces sold by US companies

Just look at how they are designed and you will see that the outgoing diameters of each exhaust are restricted in the area where the pipes come together. With an X-pipe, apart from killing the flow, the sound becomes mellow.
"

I've asked several ppl who have Soul tips and they are very positive about the build (USA) and design/flow/sound. I am not a huge fan of the single "base" exhaust opening and am leaning towards something different. Gert recommends the 981S over the others with x-design: Tail pipe 981S - Carnewal

·
Registered
185 Posts
I believe that the used Carnewal'd exhaust I purchased came with the Porsche OEM 987.1 S dual tip. It's certainly not an X-pipe.

But I too thought that the Soul or Fabspeed X-pipe was supposed to enhance both the flow and the sound of the exhaust. So that's news to me.

Regardless of what the facts really are, the Carnewal modification is a great improvement in sound, and the S model tips are a far nicer appearance than the Base cyclops looking tip. (my opinion of course)

Edit : I just read the links you provided and it is very interesting that the 981S pipe/tips fit the 987 exhaust. That's great news and you know what you are getting. I'll be on the lookout for some.

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S
17 Posts
I chose a tip from aFe Power that seems to
combine elements of the stock dual tips and the X-pipes. I don’t know if it’s amazing or ridiculous, but I like that I haven’t seen anyone else running one and the 4” diameter will fill the bumper cut out beautifully!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I chose a tip from aFe Power that seems to View attachment 274562 combine elements of the stock dual tips and the X-pipes. I don’t know if it’s amazing or ridiculous, but I like that I haven’t seen anyone else running one and the 4” diameter will fill the bumper cut out beautifully!
That definitely looks the oem approach engineering wise. I'm still amazed at how easy it was to hoodwink me into the X-pipe being the better flow. Just goes to show seeing ain't necessarily believing in this day and age.

I gotta stop typing now because I'm in a 981 exhaust tip acquisition race with you know who? ^^^^^^

·
Registered
175 Posts
That definitely looks the oem approach engineering wise.
It does look OEM-ish. I like it (except maybe the afe logo).

I'm still amazed at how easy it was to hoodwink me into the X-pipe being the better flow. Just goes to show seeing ain't necessarily believing in this day and age.
If that is true, you sir are not the only one. I've posted in some FB groups etc. and many swear by the FS and Soul tips. I'm still on the fence as to if this is 'fake news'.

I gotta stop typing now because I'm in a 981 exhaust tip acquisition race with you know who? ^^^^^^
LOL :ROFLMAO: 🖱 💻⌨ 📱 💰💸

·
Registered
185 Posts
It's hard not to discern that those claims aren't legitimate. But it's also obvious that Porsche chooses NOT to take that route even on the highest performance version of their flat 6.

Fortunately, I am not in a horsepower war on my beloved Boxster. My pursuits are in this order:

1 Reliability (actually possible)
2 Intoxicating handling (Porsche by its nature)
3 Visceral feedback (Sound is in this category, as well as #2, and top-down, and that classic Porsche silhouette, and...... )

So horsepower didn't even make the top 3

Still, having said all that, if I can get a steal on 981 tips, I am going that way. But if I'm going to shell out $500? That Fabspeed kit is what will be going on the car.

In the meantime, I'm having a ball with the used Carnewal'd exhaust and Cayman S OEM tips. It's a #3 bonanza!

·
Registered
175 Posts
^ I like the way you think! Even if I lost a few HP and it sounded better, my butt/brain dyno may be fooled into loving it.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts