Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After much (far too much) reading of the cat back exhaust threads here and elsewhere, I made a choice in modifying my '06 CS. I purchase the Carnewal GT exhaust. This is a modified version of the stock exhaust, provided by the Carnewal company, Gert Carnewal proprieter, in Belgium. Some of our UK and European Continent members have posted their reviews of the offering, so I will not rehash those findings (see Carnewal GT Exhaust review - and Just got back from Carnewal -).

However, I will describe the process of purchasing the system, as this is a little different than other third party exhaust solutions. For starters, there are no local US dealers. Additionally, you have to return your stock exhaust to Carnewal (or pay a $400 euro core charge) after you receive the system.

I ordered the exhaust last week (2011.08.15) at a delivered cost of $450 euros and got the exhaust today via FedEx. I'd call that pretty fast service. The system consists of two modified stock mufflers. No instructions or other materials. And really, who needs instructions? The factory manual covers all installation and adjustments. I do think a set of header to silencer gaskets would have been a nice touch, but not a requirement as these don't seem to wear very quickly.

The box looked like this:

I guess I had some vision in my mind of an elaborate crate or similar packing, but it was just a double sided cardboard box with a heavy wrapping of Flemish newspaper around the connectors on the mufflers.

The packaging scheme was simple, make a rectangle out of the mufflers and tape the loose corners together. No other packing was in the box, but the product survived the trip across the Atlantic unscathed.

The only external difference between the stock part and the Carnewal GT is a new weld around the cat can where it joins the muffler. I did inquire about the modifications and was assured that the cat is removed.

Welds look good:

Gert asked how many miles my car had on it to "match" the system - I presume this meant that cars with less miles get nicer donor equipment used :). My car has 61K miles, and the supplied exhaust looked similar to what I returned.

So to return the core, I just mimicked the packing job and used the same box. I did add some extra bubble wrap in addition to the newspaper, and used a LOT of packing tape around the box to seal it up. It had the look of a box that had been around the block, and perhaps around the world, at least once.

I had investigated the cheapest shipping option, and found that the 35" x 25" x 11" 43 lb package would ship via USPS Priority Mail International for $150 (if I printed my own label, which I did). Dropped it off and my garage space was not compromised (I have parts all over the place since the engine is out right now).

I'll supplement my post once the system is installed with a video/sound clip.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
I'm curious to hear your impressions about it. At ~$800 it seems like a reasonably economical option. Did they tell you that there is any performance gain? I suppose that the loss of one cat should offer up a few extra ponies.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,827 Posts
Wouldn't it cost less to have this work done locally? It seems straightforward to me:
  1. scribe an alignment mark across the seam
  2. cut catalytic converter along the seam
  3. remove the catalytic converter
  4. reweld the seam utilizing alignment marks
Am I missing something?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wouldn't it cost less to have this work done locally? It seems straightforward to me:
Am I missing something?
I did consider a local update of my stock system. What kept me from going this route was uncertainty about all the changes made. It is possible, and likely, that the changes are not limited to just removing the cat. A larger pipe after the cat is also possible to install with this process. I am going with the many positive reviews of the sound vs my own experiment. However, if anyone has a stock exhaust they would part with in the name of science, I would attempt to make similar changes.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Are you going to add a DREAM, or some other aftermarket tip? I suggest it. Looking at my AWE tip it looks like a no brainer that it flows the exhaust better.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you going to add a DREAM, or some other aftermarket tip? I suggest it. Looking at my AWE tip it looks like a no brainer that it flows the exhaust better.
Yes, I have a Dream 1. I will be keeping the stock S tip unless a good deal shows up in the classifieds :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As a point of information, the US postal service got my core back to Belgium in 9 days at their cheapest parcel rate:

Shipment Activity *******Location ******************************Date & Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Delivered ***************BELGIUM *******************************08/31/11 10:58am

Arrival at Post Office **BELGIUM *******************************08/31/11 *7:34am

Customs clearance *******BELGIUM *******************************08/29/11 *8:56pm
processing complete

Customs Clearance *******BELGIUM *******************************08/29/11 *2:19pm

Customs Clearance *******BELGIUM *******************************08/26/11 *2:46pm

Processed Through Sort **BELGIUM *******************************08/26/11 *2:46pm
Facility

Processed Through Sort **ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) *****************08/23/11 11:39pm
Facility

Arrived at Sort *********ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) *****************08/23/11 11:39pm
Facility

Acceptance **************NEW HOPE PA 18938 *********************08/22/11 *1:17pm

Electronic Shipping ********************************************08/22/11
Info Received

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Am I missing something?
Yes, you are missing the 6 months or more worth of tuning that went into developing the sound of the system, it isn't just a cut/replace of the cat, there are other changes as well. If others are interested in the system I know Gert would be interested in becoming a sponsor here and offering a special, but I think he needs to see the demand first before committing.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, you are missing the 6 months or more worth of tuning that went into developing the sound of the system, it isn't just a cut/replace of the cat, there are other changes as well. If others are interested in the system I know Gert would be interested in becoming a sponsor here and offering a special, but I think he needs to see the demand first before committing.
Stay tuned - Gert is planning to have these made locally soon...

·
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
922 Posts
That would be ideal. Any idea on time horizon?
There is a good chance I'd be interested in this exhaust, especially if "licensed" here in the US - simply for convenience sake.

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
"Made locally soon"...might that be in New Hope, PA??!!

Chris, if you are working out a deal with Gert to be the "local" guy, I would volunteer to be your first US customer...close proximity to you, original already off the car, no 'core exchange' needed,etc...That is if Gert gives you all the secrets to do it 'his way'...

Rich
Gilbertsville, PA

1 - 20 of 120 Posts