Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have a base 987.2 (2.9) and found someone selling a Cayman R exhaust with the black dual tips. Had them send it to Cantrell (who were great and very easy to work with btw) directly for modification after which they sent it to me. Still cost a fair bit in shipping as it went from Florida to Washington to Texas. Got it installed last week, took a couple videos. First impressions were that it did sound nicer and a more noticeable and bit deeper sound inside the cabin. Was expecting it to be a bit louder both from outside and inside but will get a better idea once I get to drive the car a bit more.
Would highly recommend a set of tips like the Porsche RS60 ones to enhance the sound even more.

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Thanks that's good to know, I will probably see if I can find some Fabspeed or Dream ones for sale in Classifieds down the road. The ones that came with the Cayman R exhaust I have I'm pretty sure are the same as the Spyder ones:

Boxster Spyder Black Exhaust Tip:porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment
If you are going to replace the tips then there are a lot of aftermarket options with the curved junction for improved airflow. I had the Carnewal GT with AWE tips for a while and was very happy with it. I went back to AWE mufflers after a while because I missed their scream and I moved away from the drone inducing hills in SoCal.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Alright Finally got it done!

Other than getting raped by UPS the deal was very smooth and the Cantrell guys were awesome.

The welding on the cans is incredible

Make sure to keep everything loose when putting it back up and make sure to put the rear of the mufflers up first before trying to get the front pipes connected because there is a little tab on the mufflers that will hit the cross brace that holds up the mufflers (ask me how I know

The sound is incredible, at idle it sounds the same, but a quick burp of the throttle it sounds like an old school Ferrari (in a Porsche sort of way) :)

For the money (other than factory sport exhaust) best exhaust by far! Mine has the Dream 2 as well. Thanks Gert!

Exhaust1.jpg Exhaust2.jpg Exhaust3.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had the Carnewal GT exhaust using Cayman R mufflers on my 2009 Cayman S for a few weeks now. I'm really pleased with it.

I did a track day yesterday, and have uploaded a couple of videos to youtube which give an idea of the sound:

A drive by taken by my girlfriend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ol1gozxBk

And a longer video from inside the car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dRjdp5UVi8
(I think the noise as I travel through the pits, and then accelerate gives a good idea of the sound. (When played though decent speakers)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just had the Carnewal exhaust mounted today, also purchased the black Dream2 tip. It's a bit louder now, but I'm just curious if the sound will increase at all on my gen2. Is there a break-in period for an exhaust that's already been on a car for awhile? I didn't get much drive time with it as I was stuck in traffic going from my exhaust guy to my mechanic but I didn't notice anything too dramatic...tried romping on it a few times but in traffic is was a bit hard to do...Will it get louder?

Reactions: Arch

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, it's definitely louder now, and anything in the higher rev range sounds really good. This video was taken the day I picked it up by the shop who installed it - the wording/branding embedded in the video is a little off but, this was how it sounded after it had been installed for 30 mins.

·
Incurable Gearhead
948 Posts
f1rst 1, love your wheel/tire combo! Car looks terrific.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks! It's a little rough on bad roads, but so worth it. Love your wheels as well. Guess we're in the 20" brotherhood, lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you've got stock pipes under there then it definitely sounds like a Carnewal, congrats!! 2008 Cayman S Meteor Gray Carnewal GT exhaust - YouTube
Actually it was the stock exhaust! But now I have installed a modified Carnewal GT.
Gert confirmed that my old system was stock and not modified.

This is a new video after installation and with 100km + for the ECU to adapt

And here is before with stock exhaust

·
Registered
189 Posts
I will be trading my 08 Cayman and I have removed my Carnewal GT exhaust. I have reinstalled the stock exhaust system. The Carnewal sounded great; just right to my ears. If anyone is interested in purchasing the Carnewal Exhaust, please send me a pm. Thanks.

·
Incurable Gearhead
948 Posts
I was lucky to hear from a fellow P-9er who was nearby and selling his Cayman R based Carnewal GT exhaust. I bought it and he was nice enough to even bring it over. (Thanks, Faisal!) Installation was a complete cinch. Took me about two leisurely hours wheels up to wheels down. I'd been kicking around a nice exhaust for a while and this setup was high on the list, so imagine my surprise when it sounded even better in person than in any video I'd come across. Factory fit & quality with the perfect sound. Snap crackle & pop!

Reactions: fais

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was lucky to hear from a fellow P-9er who was nearby and selling his Cayman R based Carnewal GT exhaust. I bought it and he was nice enough to even bring it over. (Thanks, Faisal!) Installation was a complete cinch. Took me about two leisurely hours wheels up to wheels down. I'd been kicking around a nice exhaust for a while and this setup was high on the list, so imagine my surprise when it sounded even better in person than in any video I'd come across. Factory fit & quality with the perfect sound. Snap crackle & pop!
Really glad you are enjoying the exhaust and thanks for a really easy & smooth transaction, saved me hassle of packing and shipping it, etc. Your Cayman is awesome and really tastefully modded! Hope to see you around Austin some time

·
Registered
296 Posts
I got my PSE the same way. It is awesome when forum members help each other out.

Reactions: Arch

·
Registered
150 Posts
Reviving this to say that prior to installing my Cantrell/Carnewal GT Cayman R based exhaust yesterday, we shot the cans with black high temp header paint and I think it turned out great. I hated the look of the stock cans through the diffuser openings & was going to install black mesh to hide them but now I'll rock this for a while & see how it holds up.

The black tips are from my original system, will likely go to the black Dream2's at some point.

+1 for both the smooth ordering process with Cantrell and the ease of install. Sounds slightly louder so far but only 5 miles on it, yet.

20151128_093401.jpg

·
Registered
2006 CS manual
23 Posts
Bring this one back, after reading many reviews and youtube I decided to do this. Ordered a very clean low mileage one from eBay and shipped directly to Cantrell, total including shipping took about 2 weeks. Great packaging, weld work.

I think my EV neighbors will not like me very much when I start my car from now on :) it does sound louder but not obnoxious, nice rumble with some crackle. during normal driving is just little louder than stock, but if you roll the windows down you can definitely hear it, and if you open the throttle wow...I always think the stock exhaust is nice but is missing a little more. This is perfect. like other reviews, the car does fell less restrictive per butt dyno. I haven't taken longer trips yet and still need some break in so no comment on drone yet, I sure hope not.

I was going to get the Soul exhaust but decided on this for now.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts