Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was looking to buy a first gen Cayman I specifically looked for one without BOSE or PCM. I wanted something that looked newer and easy to upgrade. I'm still getting used to my Cayman S but couldn't listen to the CDR24 anymore so bought an Alpine ILX-007 and the installation kit from euro motorsports and couldn't be happier. Well, I guess I could be happier if I didn't have to still replace the speakers still, but it sounds much better now, even with the stock speakers. I tested the head unit with a small battery and downloaded a splash screen to make it look more like it belongs in the car. Also, the screen is mostly black, gray, and white and matches the car very well.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Nice job and that looks really good. I'm gnawing at the bit to replace my CDR30 and this just might be the ticket.

How difficult was the install (really asking if it is plug and play and so easy a caveman (me) could do it) and what did the HU and install kit cost?

Eddie

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I was looking to buy a first gen Cayman I specifically looked for one without BOSE or PCM. I wanted something that looked newer and easy to upgrade. I'm still getting used to my Cayman S but couldn't listen to the CDR24 anymore so bought an Alpine ILX-007 and the installation kit from euro motorsports and couldn't be happier. Well, I guess I could be happier if I didn't have to still replace the speakers still, but it sounds much better now, even with the stock speakers. I tested the head unit with a small battery and downloaded a splash screen to make it look more like it belongs in the car. Also, the screen is mostly black, gray, and white and matches the car very well.

I've been on the fence about pulling the trigger on the same head unit for the past month. Quick question - where did you run the lightning cable for your iphone?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The bezel kit comes with pretty good instructions. I also used the PCM installation article here and that made it very easy. The kit is somewhere around $250 but comes with everything you need to install the headunit (which is about $600). It only works for iphone 5 and newer though and no CD player or bluetooth (both things I was not looking for). Instead of bluetooth, you plug your phone to the HU. I was a bit worried about the installation, but was very easy, including routing the wires. The HU is very shallow so there is a ton of space to leave extra long wires behind it. I could take more pictures and explain the process better if you need help. Definitely worth it!

Nice job and that looks really good. I'm gnawing at the bit to replace my CDR30 and this just might be the ticket.

How difficult was the install (really asking if it is plug and play and so easy a caveman (me) could do it) and what did the HU and install kit cost?

Eddie

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just run it to the glove box. No need to remove any extra panels and easy to access. I also have the bigger 6 plus so the glovebox is really the best place to put it. I can take some more photos later.

I've been on the fence about pulling the trigger on the same head unit for the past month. Quick question - where did you run the lightning cable for your iphone?

·
Incurable Gearhead
965 Posts
Looks great!

Reactions: fastissimo

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To remove the stock radio just follow K-Man S article: PCM 2.1 Install (CDR-24 Radio Removal) - Articles
I think trying to install the alpine without the installation kit would have been a nightmare. The kit really comes with everything you need and clear instructions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot to mention that if you want to access the settings menu while you are driving, you need to get a bypass switch. The switch bypasses the handbrake ground signal that allows you to access the settings. I bought mine from Amazon and worked great. It's called the MicroBypass Parking Brake Override Bypass for Alpine.

Some random notes:
You can mount the side plates from the installation kit to the head unit using the machine screws that come with the alpine. You can also attache the front cover before pushing the headunit in place.
I ran the usb cable that comes with the unit to the glove box. No need to remove any other panels. You can plug the iphone cable to the usb cable in the glove box. Then you can change the splash screen if you want by
plugging in a usb memory stick in the glove box.

To remove the stock radio, there is one screw on the right side that needs to be removed (at least mostly out) with the glove box open, and four metal tabs that need to be pressed to be able to pull it out. Each tab has a plastic retainer that can be rotated to keep the tab pressed in. Look at k-man instructions. I couldn't get to the upper left tab retainer so I did the other three and pressed the upper left with a small screwdriver as I pulled the stock radio out. Worked just fine.
I connected the orange wire that should go to the rear left tail light, to a gray/red wire right behind the headunit in the dash. This wire is powered when you turn the lights on. You don't have to connect the orange wire unless you want to use a rear view camera that is switched on by reverse gear being engaged.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts