Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I yank my factory head and go aftermarket carplay unit in a Bose equipped car is there any dash kit/harness options than the $850 kit from Suncoast?

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
I "had" to go to an after market head unit when my OEM failed (the dreaded repeat start-stop disc drive failure). Here is what I did: Kenwood DNX966XR, added Sirius/XM, back up camera (HUR31) and the Porsche dash kit (sun coast for $199.95). Not being able to do the install myself -- I had a recommended shop do the job. Total, all in tax, etc was @$3,100. But the install was very clean and gave a totally updated unit -- with back up camera. As you can see, it has the Apple Car Play. My car had OEM Bose speakers and they work very well with the upgrade.
Kenwood instal GTS.JPG

·
Registered
500 Posts
Cheap, fast, quality: pick any two.

Of course, in this case, no matter what, you won't get cheap and quality. I paid $450 for my cheap Android head unit swap.

I have an ugly, broken fascia, a cheap Android unit that scavenges from my battery, and coil whine making everything sound terrible when the engine RPMs change.

Considering throwing out the Pumpkin Android unit and starting again.

Budget at least a thousand. Much more if you pay someone to integrate it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
But the install was very clean and gave a totally updated unit -- with back up camera.
Does the Kenwood use the factory backup camera? Or use its own (that has to be wired up separately)? Another dumb question: How does one access the Porsche menus and options once the head unit is replaced with an aftermarket one?

·
Registered
973 Posts
I "had" to go to an after market head unit when my OEM failed (the dreaded repeat start-stop disc drive failure). Here is what I did: Kenwood DNX966XR, added Sirius/XM, back up camera (HUR31) and the Porsche dash kit (sun coast for $199.95). Not being able to do the install myself -- I had a recommended shop do the job. Total, all in tax, etc was @$3,100. But the install was very clean and gave a totally updated unit -- with back up camera. As you can see, it has the Apple Car Play. My car had OEM Bose speakers and they work very well with the upgrade. View attachment 272245
I’m curious about the fitment of the Kenwood with the Suncoast bezel. Do I see gaps on the left and right side or is that shadow? I’m not fussy about the head unit as long as it has CarPlay and the fitment is good.

I’m actually thinking about purchasing a 3D printer to do this job right. I’d rather not learn Blender just so I can install a car stereo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It’s a set up that allows your Navi button to become the interface to Apple CarPlay. Super easy to install and many threads are on the rennlist forum for install and benefits. I had to install to allow for the addition of a backup camera, which my 3.xx software version would not support maxspeed motorsport install.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Does the Kenwood use the factory backup camera? Or use its own (that has to be wired up separately)? Another dumb question: How does one access the Porsche menus and options once the head unit is replaced with an aftermarket one?
my car did not have a factory back up camera.. (my bad for not clicking the option when I configured the car). So that is why I had to "buy" a camera and HUR unit.
W/r respect to the OEM Porsche menu items like trip odometer, mpg, etc... A really good question: they are not accessible by the aftermarket Kenwood unit.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
I’m curious about the fitment of the Kenwood with the Suncoast bezel. Do I see gaps on the left and right side or is that shadow? I’m not fussy about the head unit as long as it has CarPlay and the fitment is good.

I’m actually thinking about purchasing a 3D printer to do this job right. I’d rather not learn Blender just so I can install a car stereo.
A good question.. in real life, the fitment is up to Porsche standards, IMO.

·
Registered
494 Posts
If I yank my factory head and go aftermarket carplay unit in a Bose equipped car is there any dash kit/harness options than the $850 kit from Suncoast?
The expensive piece in that kit is the NAV-TV MOST interface which has an MSRP of ~$800 by itself. We used it to install a Kenwood head unit and I'd recommend replacing the factory amp so you don't have to use the MOST HUR-31. Every once in a while it doesn't provide power and has to be power cycled which can be done by pulling the plug but we have ours in the dash so it's easier to pull the fuse which is still annoying. I have seen posts from a few others who have the same issue. Wish we had seen those before going with this option.

I think there are cheaper alternatives to the MOST HUR31 but I didn't quickly find prior posts on it. IIRC they were either Russian or Chinese and found via eBay, Alibaba or the usual suspects.

How does one access the Porsche menus and options once the head unit is replaced with an aftermarket one?
Not sure if you're asking about the screen in the gauge cluster or the screens that were on the PCM itself. Both have been covered above but to clarify a bit, you'll lose the screens mentioned above in the gauge cluster though the others will remain and can be accessed the same way via stalk/multifunction wheel. You can hide the screens that no longer function.

As for the screens that were on the PCM, you lose those.

·
Registered
316 Posts
my car did not have a factory back up camera.. (my bad for not clicking the option when I configured the car). So that is why I had to "buy" a camera and HUR unit.
W/r respect to the OEM Porsche menu items like trip odometer, mpg, etc... A really good question: they are not accessible by the aftermarket Kenwood unit.
Not sure if you're asking about the screen in the gauge cluster or the screens that were on the PCM itself. Both have been covered above but to clarify a bit, you'll lose the screens mentioned above in the gauge cluster though the others will remain and can be accessed the same way via stalk/multifunction wheel. You can hide the screens that no longer function.

As for the screens that were on the PCM, you lose those.
Thank you both. I was referring primarily to the PCM-based screens and menus (not the instrument cluster functions controlled by the stalk).

·
Registered
49 Posts
I "had" to go to an after market head unit when my OEM failed (the dreaded repeat start-stop disc drive failure). Here is what I did: Kenwood DNX966XR, added Sirius/XM, back up camera (HUR31) and the Porsche dash kit (sun coast for $199.95). Not being able to do the install myself -- I had a recommended shop do the job. Total, all in tax, etc was @$3,100. But the install was very clean and gave a totally updated unit -- with back up camera. As you can see, it has the Apple Car Play. My car had OEM Bose speakers and they work very well with the upgrade.
Great news, I'm about the follow your lead. The latest model of the Kenwood Excelon line (DNX997XR) is my likely unit. Question -- why did you have to buy the Porsche dash kit? Suncoast is telling me the bracket and face plate are part of the Aftermarket Radio Installation Kit. Was your original OEM the cheap CDR or did you have the premium PCM 3.1 (I have the "Walmart" CDR). What about a GPS antenna -- where was it installed and was it part of the Kenwood system accessories?

Looking forward to a better system in my Croc!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Is there a solution that retains the ability to access all of the settings before swapping the screen? Or does swapping the screen mean you absolutely have to lose some features?

·
Registered
20 Posts
As TNMad suggested Joyeauto retains all PCM functionalities as it adds a module on existing PCM for CarPlay and reverse camera connectivity.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts