Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
It looks very intriguing. Not much information on the listing or any info about the product, the installation, and the features.

Makes me suspicious of it's viability. Have you reached out to the listing owner for details? I think that is the next step. If it's real, I'm in!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I’m interested in this. Assuming this works, I wonder if this could stop working in the future. Apple is very particular about who they let interface with their devices, and this doesn’t exactly look like an approved device.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was able to install CarPlay in my old car when the aftermarket HU that I'd installed upgraded their software. I used CarPlay only a handful of times in more than a year.

For me, the big detractor was that it didn't (or couldn't) just work through the Bluetooth connection. My phone normally stays in my pocket and pulling it out to plug into a lightning cable, however minimal of an effort it would have been, meant that I didn't normally think about it until I was already driving... and by then, it was more hassle than it was worth.

If Apple made the system more accessible to third party platforms and installers, I can see being open to it again some day, but not until it's as seamless a process as it is supposed to be.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not many head units support it, but there is a wireless CarPlay. You can get it on an aftermarket head unit like this one https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Mech-less-Receiver-Wireless-Interface/dp/B077933YQV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524103064&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+carplay
Yeah, I had heard that some aftermarket HUs were coming out with wireless support, and indeed some of the factory ones are sure to as well. Still seems like a misstep on all developers, including Apple. "Seamless integration" was one of Apple's primary stated goals.

I have a feeling Steve Jobs wouldn't be thrilled with the way it's been done were he able to comment on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very interesting... I wonder if this is some sort of plug and play?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
There has just come available an adapter to enable CarPlay on the Porsche PCM units. Li Paul who posts on this forum,has developed a circuit board that installs in the PCM to enable CAR Play. Check it out at gpsadapter.us. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer on his steering wheel adapter. Four day shipping from China too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been researching this fairly extensively. AliExpress seems to be the place to go for Americans and Canadians as last I read, nmauto no longer ships to North America. It's not a simple plug & play affair - the head unit has to come out of the car and you have to take it apart. However, I have not found any significant negative posts - everyone who has posted about buying and installing it seems very happy. It seems to function just like a factory CarPlay function would, plus it supports Wireless CarPlay too now.

I will almost certainly do this myself, but I want to make sure it still works after the upcoming iOS 13 upgrade.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
For me website a complete waste of time after an hour never got the order processed.
Website that tries to do 15 languages and countries is not a good place to try and purchase from.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Here an update and some news in this area. The dealer who sells the car play started texting and emailing me so I was able clear up the problems and determined that this will not work in my car since I don't have pcm 3.1; only the standard radio.
The good news is there is a simple USB plug in conversion that will add apple or android car play to non 3.1 cars and many other brands.
The great news is it is only $44.79 instead of $386.78
It will take until 8/31 to get here.
I will update posting again once I get and install it

·
Registered
931 Posts
Here an update and some news in this area. The dealer who sells the car play started texting and emailing me so I was able clear up the problems and determined that this will not work in my car since I don't have pcm 3.1; only the standard radio.
The good news is there is a simple USB plug in conversion that will add apple or android car play to non 3.1 cars and many other brands.
The great news is it is only $44.79 instead of $386.78
It will take until 8/31 to get here.
I will update posting again once I get and install it
I am struggling to understand how a USB device could give you CarPlay. Can you provide a link?

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I am struggling to understand how a USB device could give you CarPlay. Can you provide a link?
I guess you are use to doing everything wireless. If you plug your phone into USB in a VW or Porsche (probably Audi BMW etc. also) it will download the software to use carplay if the service is useable in your radio. My 2019 Jetta and 2018 Macan both do this. My earlier 2016 Boxster will not do this because it is not carpaly capable thus the need for a software adapter via USB.
As I said prior; haven't gotten it yet, once I install it and it works I'll post more.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Augie, to show CarPlay apps on your PCM a third party device would need one of two things:
- access to video input on your PCM (which is not USB)
- the ability to install software on your PCM (which it does not support)
And that’s just to display app info. It would also need to capture and send back to the device touch information about your PCM display.

There is no way a USB device plugged into your PCM is going to give you CarPlay. The other device talked about here is essentially a lobotomy for your PCM and is why it is expensive.

The only thing I can imagine is that this is some kind of audio-only CarPlay control, but you haven’t shared a link so I don’t know.

I hope it does what you are looking for.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is such a thing for a head unit/tablet/etc that runs on the Android OS. In most cases, that would be a custom installed thing. Neither the CDR nor the PCM runs on Android. This won't work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts