Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning:

Short question short story: Looking at buying a 911 probably a 997 or 997 &1/2. Are there any other good forums to Join for 911 information?

Long Story Long question:

Aside from this fine forum is there some other Porsche forums that one would join to learn about the ups and down of 911 ownership. I say 911 ownership because of the following: I have been lurking this forum for the better part of two years learning about the ups and down of Cayman ownership for the eventual day that I purchase one and have been pleased how courteous and informed the members are. I have been also hinting here and there to my wife about some day trading my Pantera in and getting a Cayman in its place. She has been pretty disinterested in my conversations with her about a Cayman and even done the roll the eyes at me while seeing the rare appearance of a Cayman around our town and pictures of them for sale.

Well, we were visiting my sister in Walnut Creek California last week for the Thanksgiving Holiday and we stopped by Walnut Creek Porsche as I do either coming or going when I visit and this time my wife went with me and while looking at the many flavors of Caymans on the lot she looks at me with a somewhat are we done yet look on her face and says to me that if I am going eventually bring a Porsche home please get a Carrera. To make an even longer story shorter we had a 7 hour drive home and discussed moving up to a Carrera for a first Porsche and she was all over the idea of getting a 911 over a Cayman. So in addition to the information available on this forum are there some recommendation for other forums on Carrera (911s) ownership ups and down, maintenance and upgrades as it is now looking like my first Porsche will be a Carrera (911)

Thanks

Paul

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Hi Paul,

I've always found rennlist to be a very good source for 911 discussion and info.

Rennlist Discussion Forums

The interface is a bit clunky, but there is a ton of info and the participation level is high.

Good luck with the purchase and I look forward to hearing about your experience...HERE! :)

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Or might I suggest that he stick around here wth some of our other 911 owners and help build out our 911 forum sections? In the beginning we didn't have much Cayman information, now we have the most, the same could be true for the 911 if we get people to stick around and participate so while I don't mind people visiting other forums, I would welcome them to first stick around here and participate and let me know if there is anything they need in that regard.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Each 997 forum has it's own flavor. Rennlist and 6speedonline are both places you can visit w/ 997 specific forums. Rennteam has a more European orientation. Renntech has a technical, DIY orientation. Do you have any specific questions that we might be able to answer here? Although the other sites may have more membership, typically you'll want to research your questions through their specific search engines rather than asking something of the members that has been addressed previously, perhaps many times. Quite a few members here own or have owned 911s of various model years and I'm sure you can start your research here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
As an owner of both a 2007 Cayman S and more recently a 997.2 C2S Cab, I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.
Both are fantastic cars and you can't go wrong with either, but they are very different animals. I use the Cayman for the street and track (although it has way more track miles than street) and the Carrera is a sunny day car.
My advice is to drive both before you make any decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. The more I find out about the current line up the more I am leaning towards a C4S, Love the wider rear fenders & the 4wd with 385hp sounds like too much fun.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was in the indulgent car market myself a few months ago and my wife also pleaded with me to get the Carrera. I drove both the 4S and the S and ended up with just the S (2007). We don't have too much weather here and I may be dreaming this, but the 4S did feel heavier. Since my car is a dd the Cayman was just too small. (might be more fun on track days though)

I've had faster cars, but the 997 is a very different experience.

I wonder if Porsche knows they appeal to so many spouses?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts