Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys.recently i sold my cayman s for buy a used porsche carrera.i try to find one in good condition with a few klm.i have found some but i am comfused if it deserve to buy a carrera or a carrera s.did some one knows what are the differences and if deserve the extra money for the s.is there any site or articles to have test both of the cars ?i also wouldl ike to ask if someone knows if there is a place i can find a comparison betwwen cayman s and carrera(not s).
:thanks:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Although I cant share first hand experience. I'd say if you can stretch for the S, do it. Extra power and more standard options probably will be better!

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
The difference in price between the S and the non S in the used market is typically less than the roughly $10K (USD) when new. This makes the S a better deal, but also potentially a little less available. The major difference is the power (05-08 325 base vs. 355 S). In addition, PASM standard on S, larger red caliper brakes on S, 19" wheels on S, and silver dials, alu trim on S.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Like the Cayman vs Cayman S - the Carrera S engine also has more displacement (larger) and more torque. You will feel the low-end torque as throttle response in day-to-day driving. If you drive very hard and can afford it - I'd go for the S.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Have driven a Carrera and a Carrera S back to back at the Porsche test track in Leipzig. If you can spring for it, get the S!!

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
If I were in your position I would opt for the S. The new 3.8 flat-six naturally aspirated engine is soooo sweet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys for the info.I am looking for car with less than 35000klm.
i have found 2 cars that they are very interested.the one is a black s with 32000klm with price 63000€ and is tiptronic and the other is a carrera red manual with 24000klm and price 52000€
the difference is 11000€ and i wonder what it deserve to buy.both of the cars has very ugly rims and i plan to buy the 19"sport design with new tires.
what you think with this differnce in the price.i leave in greece and the cars there are very very expensive.:cheers:

·
Registered
911 Posts
For what it's worth. The 911S is and always will be my dream car. If I had the coin when I got the Cayman S I would have gone for the Carrera. I think the Cayman is a better sports car but 911 is a legend and a car I've dreamed of since I was a kid in the late 60s.

Oh and if i were you I'd go for the "S"

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
What model year are the two cars? Do you want a Tiptronic? The kilometers may be low or high depending on whether we're talking 05 or 08 model year. Can you drive the two cars to get a feel for the difference in power? For my part a guards red car w/ a manual is more interesting that a black tiptronic even if the red car is a standard carrera and the black car is an S.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I agree it would be best to test drive a base model and an S - both with your gearbox of choice. For me - it would have to be a Carrera S with a manual transmission. I wouldn't consider spending this much money wiothout driving a few.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have drive a cayman s tiptronic and i compare it with my manual cayman s.i don t think that i like it.i feel like do not drive the car but the car drives me.especially if you i want to drive a little bit faster in a close road and not in the highway i feel that i donot control the car.so what is better manual carrera or carrera tiptronic s?

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I'd hold out for the Carrera S manual.
I agree. Unless there are so few cars to choose from that you need to pick between these two, I suggest you shop around a little longer. Tiptronic is not the same as PDK, and if you are choosing among 05-08 997s you would be best served by a Carrera S w/ a manual transmission based on your previous postings.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Go for an S and manual car. Tiptronic is just not it for a sports car like a 997 unless you get a PDK car. Have had both and PDK does put the tiptronic to shame and is actually faster than the manual 09 997.2 with sports chrono. Drive both cars, find one you can afford and like and if its a manual and an S then you're good to go! Good luck!

·
Registered
549 Posts
There is just no car company that makes a sweeter manual transmission than Porsche. I have an S with Sport Chrono and 6 speed and it is by far and away the most fun I've ever had. You won't have as much fun with a Tip - even tho its underrated - just my $0.02.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts