Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surely there is someone out there carrying around surfboards on their Cayennes, eh guys? I am wondering what set-up you guys use on the roof. Do you use the Roof Rails with crossbars with a surfboard adapter or do you use the Roof Transport System with the Surboard Adapter? How many boards can you carry with either set-up? Is there a benefit for going one way rather than the other. Not worried about cost of either system.

:thanks:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I use the Transport system with Dakine XL rack pads and nylon straps. I like the Transport system, as you can adjust the distance between the racks and it literally takes 5 minutes to take them off the truck. I mainly carry my gun and long-board on the roof, and store the short board inside. Spreading the racks wide creates a very stable platform, allowing very little wind flex/wobble on the freeway.

Dakine is the only pads I've been able to find that work on the really wide Transport system racks, as they are desiged for a Hummer's racks.

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
Put mine inside the Treg. Where are you surfing in Tx? I moved from Florida to Houston and have yet to try the gulf.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Put mine inside the Treg. Where are you surfing in Tx? I moved from Florida to Houston and have yet to try the gulf.
I grew up here and surfed from 14 to about 24. To be honest, there's not alot of quality surf because it's all wind swell and not much ground swell. So high winds equals high (4'-6' is high here & it's choppy) surf. The best conditions are when there's been a strong southerly wind that builds the swell for a while and then a northern front blows through which will produce more classic lines and sets. Galveston is probably the best surf in the local area but if you want to trek further south, down around Padre Island gets cleaner, steeper waves and much clearer water. Galveston stays pretty brown due to its proximaty to the Mississipi and Sabine Rivers. That's pretty much the rule in the gulf, the further from the mississippi you get the clearer the water. Hurricanes that enter the Gulf and move West of Galveston will produce a quality wave with the right shore winds.

I just bought a 9'3" longboard so I can bring my daughter out on it on our Florida trips this summer. Once I got used to Florida and Cali surf, I pretty much stopped chasing 3' Chop but if I hear of a good swell on the weekends I'll probably make it out to Galveston Island and catch a few.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use the Transport system with Dakine XL rack pads and nylon straps. I like the Transport system, as you can adjust the distance between the racks and it literally takes 5 minutes to take them off the truck. I mainly carry my gun and long-board on the roof, and store the short board inside. Spreading the racks wide creates a very stable platform, allowing very little wind flex/wobble on the freeway.

Dakine is the only pads I've been able to find that work on the really wide Transport system racks, as they are desiged for a Hummer's racks.
Is that the Transport system with the surfboard adapter? Or are you using just the Transport System with Dakine pads and straps? Could you carry more than one board up there if you wanted to?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Its the Transport system with the Dakine pads and nylon straps, which are smaller versions of motorcycle tiedowns. The Porsche and Yakima surfboard adapter are rubber straps, if I remember right, which I avoid as they stretch and can get brittle. The nylon straps (i.e., seatbelts) don't stretch at high speeds with a longboard, and are very durable.

I have never strapped two surboards side by side on the rack, but have staked a longboard and gun (9' & 8'4" respectively); with the longboard in a travel bag. When I use the travel bag, I do not use the Dakine pads, which are REALLY thick.

At my home break of Ocean Beach San Francisco, we long for normal 4-6 foot waves in the winter. It normally seems to be 10-15+ from Dec - March.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its the Transport system with the Dakine pads and nylon straps, which are smaller versions of motorcycle tiedowns. The Porsche and Yakima surfboard adapter are rubber straps, if I remember right, which I avoid as they stretch and can get brittle. The nylon straps (i.e., seatbelts) don't stretch at high speeds with a longboard, and are very durable.

I have never strapped two surboards side by side on the rack, but have staked a longboard and gun (9' & 8'4" respectively); with the longboard in a travel bag. When I use the travel bag, I do not use the Dakine pads, which are REALLY thick.

At my home break of Ocean Beach San Francisco, we long for normal 4-6 foot waves in the winter. It normally seems to be 10-15+ from Dec - March.
Thanks for the expanded info. I guess I'll get on the transport system and see about finding the nylon straps like you use. Glad I asked. Believe me when I say 4'-6' are not the everyday norm. And unlike west coast swell that meets a steep slope that produces a nice pitching wave, our beaches are all gentle sloping and the waves just mush on in. Still, it can be fun on a long board. It'll be fun to get back into it after a 15 year lay-off. How do you think a 9'3" longboard would look on top of the Cayman!?
:hilarious:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Here is a link to the Dakine XL pads and some nylon straps. Surfboard Racks - a2zBoardShop.com

I have had my 9' longboard on top of my old Cayman. It worked, but the racks are so close together that there was a lot of wind wobble - very disconcerting on the freeway. The Cayman worked fine for short boards - see my avatar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts