Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not Sure what to make of this but the wife drove slowly through a deep puddle yesterday about 10 to 12 inches. Parked the car up when starting again 2 hours later lots of warning lights came up and started scrolling , Chassis warning, Head light leveler, PMS etc. It was dark when she got back so looked at it this morning now dashboard wont light up. Car starts but all switches dont work for the central consol i.e. raise lower suspension, turn on sports mode, turn on e+ e- or the media centre. But if you remove fuse 53 on drivers side Steering column switching module (UK Car) They start working and all the warnings start scrolling through. Its a 2016 Cayenne hybrid. Error via the OBDI port is showing communication error between chassis computer and main computer.

· Administrator
2,222 Posts
Sounds like a connector got flooded. There is a connector going to the steering rack if you have Servotronic steering (likely on a Hybrid) that can cause issues if it gets too wet, and it's low enough on the vehicle that driving it through 10-12 inches of water might get it too wet. Mine got too wet due to a detailer spraying with a high-pressure sprayer. It intermittently would open up, and there wouldn't be any variable boost on the steering - making it much harder to steer at low speeds. I imagine if it flooded and shorted it might cause a communications error... a generic OBD-II code reader really if fairly useless on a Porsche. It will read emissions related issues, but it's at a loss when you need to read stored error messages that don't coincide with an OBD-II code, or where they do - but the code is greater than P0999 - which are manufacturer/model specific codes.

The connector on the steering rack faces toward the front of the vehicle, sticking up out of the rack body about where the steering shaft from the steering wheel enters the rack. It's a PITA to get apart to clean. There are specific tools made to easily release Porsche type connector locks, I'd suggest getting one before even trying. Searching Google for "Electrical Service Tool Connector Removal Tool for VAG VW Audi Porsche" might turn up a local (UK?) source for it.

Gesture Tool Font Wire stripper Fashion accessory

That's my totally WAG as to your problem. It might be this - or not - but I bet it's a wet connector somewhere. Doing diagnostics using a Porsche specific tool would undoubtably he helpful. PIWIS is the Porsche tool (rental from Porsche is $15,000/annually - some people purchase a Chinese clone), the Foxwell NT530 is a helpful tool, at least for diagnostics on a 958, and it's around $150 USD. There are others you'll find discussed in our diagnostics forum.

Good luck! Don't be like @Krytic02 and never come back. When it's solved please DO come back and tell us what fixed it..

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for the above. It was a damp issue and the car is the Hybrid version. Managed to solve the problem by running the car with heater on high air con on with windows slightly open. After two hours I could put the fuse back in and still had dashboard this time. But still had all warnings scrolling through. After another couple of hours problem was sorted. I'll avoid going too deep in future as its got low sensors. Thanks again for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts