Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Michelin Latitude N0 0717 date code. Never had SUV tires chunk like this. Happening on both sides, but this one is worst. Any ideas?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wow. I've put quite a few miles on SUV tires and have never seen this happen. Never actually have seen this happen with any tire. Is it happening to all 4 tires? Do they all have the same date code? I would contact Michelin, maybe there's an outstanding recall.

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
118 Posts
Michelin Latitude N0 0717 date code. Never had SUV tires chunk like this. Happening on both sides, but this one is worst. Any ideas? View attachment 277316
I have had that happen on my F250 when driving on gravel roads a lot. I had 3 miles of gravel road to our home in the mountains. It killed tires. Mostly impacted drive ( Rear) tires.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had that happen on my F250 when driving on gravel roads a lot. I had 3 miles of gravel road to our home in the mountains. It killed tires. Mostly impacted drive ( Rear) tires.
Aside from the small strip of gravel where I park my car hauler, I don't think this car has seen a gravel road, at lest during my ownership. No noticeable paint chips to indicate the prior owner spent any significant time on one.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The only similar I've seen was tracking my Audi S6. Long straight with heavy breaking and turn in at the end of it.

Stupid questions: Pressures okay? Overloaded? Load capacity of the tire too low?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TPMS - No warnings. Pressures accurate to gauge reading.
N0 Porsche OEM tires. Load Capacity is XL/110V 2337 lbs x 4 = 9348 lbs. Curb weight is about half that and I've not carried significant cargo inside. I have been towing with the car, but these have been on the front. Don't think it's excess tongue weight either.

These have been on the front since I've owned the car (bought it used last years). I just noticed this about 2 months ago. I'm generally pretty attentive to all things maintenance, so I think I would have noticed it if it had been going on for a while.

I replaced my rears a few months ago due to a ruptured sidewall. I didn't notice this at that time. There is only about 1mm difference in tread depth from front to rear with the new tires.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I said they were stupid questions!;) Last one: How old are the tires (manufacture date)?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I said they were stupid questions!;) Last one: How old are the tires (manufacture date)?
Left-front is 0717 and right-front is 2218. Both show the same type of wear. The 3rd one of this set is dated 4418 (was right rear, now in my attic) shows no damage. The 4th one is gone due to sidewall damage. I saved the 3rd because it was still in really good shape and just couldn't let it go.

Based on the service records, they appear to have all been installed by a Porsche dealer May 2019 at 29K miles. The car now has 50K miles.

Interesting they have significantly different date codes. I noticed the two new ones I bought a couple months ago also have different date codes, but only 3 months apart.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Talked to a friend who is a Porsche certified mechanic today. He said this is really common for both the N-rated Michelin and Goodyear All-Season SUV tires as they near End-of-Life.

Never seen this in all the years I've owned SUVs. So much for the superiority of Porsche N-rated tires! Think I'll go to the non-N-rated next time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts