Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2007 Cayman S. Great car, have had it two years.

I use the car mainly to commute (which for me is about a 50 mile highway drive to the airport as I travel for work). My needs have changed, as I bought a new boat this year that may prove to be too big to tow behind my RV.

If that proves to be the case, that means that I need to sell the Cayman and pick up an SUV. I would like to keep the purchase price of the SUV similar to the value of they Cayman (estimating around $30k), which means I could get something like a '10 - '12 Grand Cherokee, or go a few years older and get a Cayenne (also considering a Audi Q7, but let's leave that out for simplicity).

The boat is a Malibu 23 LSV, weighs a little over 6000 pounds. I know how a Grand Cherokee would tow, I am wondering how a Cayenne would compare?

Anyone have first hand experience using Cayenne as a tow vehicle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
edit: added more info based upon boat specss

i looked up the boat specs and your tow weight with full fuel, gear and trailer should be around 6,500 lbs. You also need to add in people and watch out for your gross vehicle weight.

The limiting factor with the Cayenne S is the 617 lb max tongue weight which should be 10% of the trailer weight. That would mean your max tow weight would be just over what your boat and trailer would weigh to maintain proper balance. I also noted that you are in a mountainous state which would be a challenge with the short wheel base of the tow vehicle. Think of the tail wagging the dog and you'll get what it will be like going down a mountain grade with this load.

The air suspension is helpful in keeping the load level at the hitch but it is a failure point. I would much rather have steel springs. Look for a tandem Torsen axle trailer with disc brakes on both axles. This will help keep the load from swaying in a cross wind, aid in flat tire changes and offer the best stopping capabilities. Stopping is key.

I highly recommend you also should review the owner's manual of any tow vehicle you look to purchase. Many manufacturers express severe weight limits on trailers with brakes and without. Many also recommend the use of exterior hitch sway controls which cannot be used with surge brakes. This means you need electric brakes. Be wary of these limits in the owner's manual since a good lawyer will pick up on the vehicle being overloaded if you get in an accident regardless if it was your fault or not.

In the long run, you may be better served with a long wheel base pickup such as the Tundra or even a Sequoia which have plenty of towing capacity and can handle all your needs. They are also very reliable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comment. This would only be used when I am also towing the RV (with my 3500 RAM), so there would be no additional weight. I have scaled the boat, and it weighs 6060 with about 1/3 tank of fuel. So, loaded, I will be under 6400 pounds.

I've towed boats extensively with a Grand Cherokee, so the wheel base doesn't scare me.

Since I posted this question, I have test driven both a Q7 TDI and a 2010 Cayenne S, and neither is an acceptable replacement for my Cayman, so I am moving on to plan B

I am having my RV beefed up to be able to pull the additional weight of the new boat. If that does not feel safe, I will lower my budget, and replace my foul weather car (1997 Grand Cherokee) with something in the $12000. price range that would also be suitable to tow the boat.

I won't make a final decision until Spring/Summer.

I did a test drive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I picked up a low mile F150 Lariat (leather interior) for 12K a few years ago and it has been great. I added a touch screen double din w/ back up camera and it's been great. It would tow the boat no problem. We have used it for many road trips because it is so comfortable and we can pack A LOT of baby stuff. And I was able to keep my 07 Cayman S!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I tow a boat with an "06 Turbo.
Takes a lot of gas....bu so far so good. Boat trailer I'm at almost 7000.
You can go up to 7700 pounds if not mistaken.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts