Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
I did not see this posted here, but found this the other day. A '15 STi going a against a 981 Cayman 2.7 Manual. Just loved how the Cayman was able to gain back all the lost advantage from the dig. Very impressed. I can't imagine a Cayman S going up against the STi, it certainly would anihilate it. Porsche definitely designs for top end acceleration.

2015 Subaru WRX STI vs. 2014 Porsche Cayman | STANDING MILE - YouTube

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not impressed at all. Don't get me wrong: I still think that my 981 is the best looking and handling car I have ever bought but let's be honest, our 981s must be the worst cars in the world when it comes to pure performance per dollar/euro spent. If it takes a track or a one mile stretch of (German?) highway to finally out-perform a car that costs half as much as our 981s if similarly equipped, isn't Porsche charging us an enormous premium for the privilege of owning one ? I think both the 2.7 and the 3.4 liter engines in our 981s are held back by Porsche itself and tuners are threatened with a lawsuit if they try to touch their motor management. Porsche purposely lets its 981 customers want for more power by building a car that is under-motorized but blessed with a magnificent chassis, trying to lure them into buying a 911. Again, I do think our 981s are good looking and well handling sportscars but they are just not at the top of their game performance wise which leads me to conclude that, sadly, the raw performance does not at all match the looks and certainly not the money spent... I know that we are buying into decades of motorsports know-how and that we therefore pay a premium for a prestigious badge on our cars, but shouldn't it be all about getting the best performing car money can buy when you spend your hard-earned cash on a Porsche ?

Just this weekend, I had a little "encounter" with an Audi S1, the smallest performance car Audi is selling here in Europe (but in fact any "hot hatch" will do for this comparison), and looked up its specifications:

Audi S1
Displacement, cc 1984 (4 cylinders)
Max. output, kW (PS) at rpm 170 (231)/6000
Max. torque, Nm at rpm 370/1600-3000
6-speed manual
Unladen weight 1315 Kg
Top speed 155 mph
Acceleration 0-62 mph 5,8 Seconds
Price equally optioned as my Boxster: EUR 35,000

Porsche Boxster 981
Displacement 2,706 cm³ (6 cylinders)
Power 195 kW (265 hp) at rpm 6,700
Max. torque (Nm) at rpm 280 Nm at 4,500 - 6,500
6-speed manual
Unladen weight (DIN) 1,330 kg
Top speed 264 km/h (164 mph)
Acceleration from 0 - 100 km/h (0 - 62 mph) 5.8 sec
Price (optioned as mine, in Europe, fortunately not what I paid): EUR 69,000

Let the flaming begin... :cheers:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Wow, I don't know where to begin.... So you bought your Porsche because you wanted the fastest dragster on the road and now you're disappointed?

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Just about what I would expect for the base Cayman, but not too shabby. Off the line, it's hard to beat all wheel drive and 300 lb-ft of torque. The STi starts to run out of steam over 6K rpm, when the boost tapers off, while the Cayman is still pulling. That and better aerodynamics start to help. A CS will catch up much sooner.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not impressed at all. Don't get me wrong: I still think that my 981 is the best looking and handling car I have ever bought but let's be honest, our 981s must be the worst cars in the world when it comes to pure performance per dollar/euro spent. If it takes a track or a one mile stretch of (German?) highway to finally out-perform a car that costs half as much as our 981s if similarly equipped, isn't Porsche charging us an enormous premium for the privilege of owning one ? I think both the 2.7 and the 3.4 liter engines in our 981s are held back by Porsche itself and tuners are threatened with a lawsuit if they try to touch their motor management. Porsche purposely lets its 981 customers want for more power by building a car that is under-motorized but blessed with a magnificent chassis, trying to lure them into buying a 911. Again, I do think our 981s are good looking and well handling sportscars but they are just not at the top of their game performance wise which leads me to conclude that, sadly, the raw performance does not at all match the looks and certainly not the money spent... I know that we are buying into decades of motorsports know-how and that we therefore pay a premium for a prestigious badge on our cars, but shouldn't it be all about getting the best performing car money can buy when you spend your hard-earned cash on a Porsche ?

Just this weekend, I had a little "encounter" with an Audi S1, the smallest performance car Audi is selling here in Europe (but in fact any "hot hatch" will do for this comparison), and looked up its specifications:

Audi S1
Displacement, cc 1984 (4 cylinders)
Max. output, kW (PS) at rpm 170 (231)/6000
Max. torque, Nm at rpm 370/1600-3000
6-speed manual
Unladen weight 1315 Kg
Top speed 155 mph
Acceleration 0-62 mph 5,8 Seconds
Price equally optioned as my Boxster: EUR 35,000

Porsche Boxster 981
Displacement 2,706 cm³ (6 cylinders)
Power 195 kW (265 hp) at rpm 6,700
Max. torque (Nm) at rpm 280 Nm at 4,500 - 6,500
6-speed manual
Unladen weight (DIN) 1,330 kg
Top speed 264 km/h (164 mph)
Acceleration from 0 - 100 km/h (0 - 62 mph) 5.8 sec
Price (optioned as mine, in Europe, fortunately not what I paid): EUR 69,000

Let the flaming begin... :cheers:
I still think is impressive that a low torque and power car like the base Cayman or Boxster, which are thought as underachievers, are able to catch an STi (which is suppose to be a performance monster and is usually compared with S models). When you buy a Porsche you are not only buying power and performance, you are also buying luxury and higher class materials (chassis, manufacturing processes, suspension, etc...) and maybe some branding upcharge. Still is nice that if you catch a stock STi on the highway and go for it you will pass through it easily since they will not have the dig advantage.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Wow, I don't know where to begin.... So you bought your Porsche because you wanted the fastest dragster on the road and now you're disappointed?
Well, yes!! I can go out to any track in my 981 CS and run really respectable times. But I can drive that same awesome car to pick up my girlfriend, see her eyes light up and get front row parking at a high end event. Subaru????????…………..not so much.

Want better (drag strip) times??? Get a GT-R…….but in the end, you're still in a Nissan…..

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Well, yes!! I can go out to any track in my 981 CS and run really respectable times. But I can drive that same awesome car to pick up my girlfriend, see her eyes light up and get front row parking at a high end event. Subaru????????…………..not so much.…..
When I pick up my wife, her eyes light up regardless of if I'm driving my 981 or my outback. :)

Reactions: trebien and Mike R.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The STi is a four-door economy car factory-built into a performance car. The Cayman is a purpose-built sports car that sells for twice as much as the Sti. If the Cayman wasn’t better than the Sti in some relevant way, it would be downright embarrassing ... As much as I love my Boxster, I’m frankly much more impressed by what a company like Subaru can wring out of an Impreza than by what Porsche has built with a clean sheet for twice the price.

At this pricepoint, with the kind of sporting heritage Porsche likes to claim, the 981 should stand head and shoulders above cars like the Sti. There shouldn’t even be any “if’s and but’s.”
:cheers:

Reactions: Boxie981

·
Registered
28 Posts
The STi is a four-door economy car factory-built into a performance car. The Cayman is a purpose-built sports car that sells for twice as much as the Sti. If the Cayman wasn’t better than the Sti in some relevant way, it would be downright embarrassing ... As much as I love my Boxster, I’m frankly much more impressed by what a company like Subaru can wring out of an Impreza than by what Porsche has built with a clean sheet for twice the price.

At this pricepoint, with the kind of sporting heritage Porsche likes to claim, the 981 should stand head and shoulders above cars like the Sti. There shouldn’t even be any “if’s and but’s.”
:cheers:
I second that ! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
The 2.7 Cayman would own the STi on a track.
Maybe tracks with long straightaways. Otherwise, they would be close. The awd makes the STi a very competent handler.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I really could care less with all these comparos..............I am on my 3rd Cayman and choose to buy and drive them because they best fit my set of specification. I have owned all manner of cars in my 68 years on this earth (more than 40 vehicles) including more than a few that would beat a 981 2.7L in a straight line. But, each day when I walk up to my 981 2.7L, lower myself into its great seating positions, grasp the wheel which falls perfectly to my hand and arm position, start the engine, listen to the bark of the boxer six, and drive away enjoying the sensation of the car pivoting in the small of my back with its low center of gravity and ideal weight distribution..............I am reminded again of why I chose this particular car. I used to own boats and one of the great sayings about them goes for cars, too, ......if you buy a car that is not attractive, it does not look any better over time............but if you buy a car that pleases you, it repeats over and over each time you see it. So, these videos and reviews are intellectually interesting but emotionally irrelevant for me.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Wow is there a stupider way to compare cars...straight line on flat pavement.

i bet the ricers and poor people having a field day with that video. "Look my Honda is faster than porsche and cost more than half less." Im sure they get a world class experience when they hop in each morning too.

i guess we would also put a 12k motorcycle next to the two cars and all drool over why would anyone buy a car...maybe that will get people to realize there is more to a car than how fast it goes in a straight line.

love the way the poor Subaru ran out steam at the end and the cayman caught up. Cute.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
A couple of thoughts on this:

1) Does the STI represent good value for a compact performance car/DD--you bet! The WRX even more so for about $10K less.
If I was going to replace our current E90 today--the WRX would be on my short list--power, good suspension, AWD and fun to drive.
Styling--well that's a personal thing.

2) Comparing the STI to the base Cayman: I don't get it at all other than than both cars are fun to drive: 2 seater vs. 4, RWD vs. AWD, 2 doors vs. 4.... .
If we're talking relative value --$35K + car that can wax a $60K car at a stop light grandprix--it will do that, but other than a few adolescents, WHO CARES?
The mission of these cars are very different--dedicated sporty car, vs. sedan with sporting aspirations ( pulled off very successfully I might add).

3) Where's the biggest difference--BRAKES. I did a DE last year with a guy that had just gotten a new STI and with both of us in stock form he got it around well until the brakes got hot after 4 laps in the STI; my 981S did the nearly the entire 25 minute session without any kind of fade with the stock pads/tires. When you get on the track in stock form the differences between these cars show up quickly.

My view is both cars represent good value for the markets they are aimed at--STI vs. Euro sporting sedans; Cayman vs. Sports Coupes (Euro/domestic). A better comparison for the Cayman might be Mustang GT/Camaro1LE/2 series BMW coupe/C7 vette 1LT package.

All the coupes I've mentioned are probably faster in a straight line, but the driving experience is way different; all depends on what is important to the buyer.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I am 1 of 7 guys in my neighborhood who owns a Porsche. Mine is a 2.9 987 which is the same as my neighbor, and the other 4 are air cooled 911's and a Panamera GTS Turbo (I remember the price better than the exact model spec $168,000 on the Panamera I think it was GTS and Turbo S?).

Anyway, even though 3 of these guys are ex-race-car-drivers (1 pro, 2 amateurs) I've never seen any of them hustle their cars against a teenager in a Subaru/Civic on the public street, or racing from red light to red light. I'd guess 90% of Porsche owners are past the teenage stage of thinking in terms of everything being a competition... as I don't hear any guys at our PCA events talk about laying awake at night dreaming about owning a Vette or a GTR. Somehow the Porsche driving experience is about so much more than any stopwatch result.

When we all go out together, I drive the fastest, they tease me, its because I'm the youngest. With age comes appreciation of more than just out-right speed they tell me. Someone's always got a faster car, but faster isn't exactly the same as better. I agree (I'd buy the exact same car again after 3 years of enjoyment).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts