Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

Car : Cayman 2.7

Covered 13000 km after getting the car 11 month ago It's time for the next step.

See here if interested for before and after detailing video:

After replacing air filters with BMC, its time for the much expected ecu remapping.

It will be custom prepared and adjusted to the car by a well experienced tuner with background in sports cars and competition cars.

Decided to go with this route instead of the well respected ready ecu remapping tunes, because it was cheaper, i could be involved in the process, before and after dynos included and the ability to customized change/parameters of the mapping with minimum cost if I decide to do extra updates to the car in the future.

The first dyno (video 1) attempt was not successful as the specific dyno did not allow the front axle to turn therefore putting the car in safe mode and causing decrease performance. Left a bit disappointed on that day as I was expecting to drive home with my Cayman on steroids. Sports plus is missing from the car and i believe that the car has more potential and I don't mean in raw horse power only.

A second dyno run (video 2) was done on a different dyno that allows the front wheels to turn. Unfortunately a problem came up. There was a knock and a decrease performance (see picture of 2 runs). In addition an odor came from the car. I was told that its most probably caused by a clogged or damage catalytic converter.

Since then I have used Redline fuel cleaner put I was not expecting much results, even though i might felled a small change in the cars response, but this might be due to the the cleaning of the injectors.

What are your suggestions on what might cause the decrease performance. Can it be something else? 98 octane fuel . Air filters were clean and there was a big air blower at the front of the car, covering most of the front of the car.. Not exactly in front of the air intakes but also a big door next to the car was also bringing plenty of cold air in (12 Celsius on that night). In addition 2 runs and a test run with breaks between was not enough to overheat the engine i think.

If the problem is with the catalytic converter my options are :

1) Removing cat cells from my headers and placing a sensor to avoid engine light. cost 250 euro. I have read different opinions on this approach. By removing the cells will cause the same effect as a cat free header pipe or by keeping the muffler will keep some engine compression on low rpm? How about the noise?

2) removing my OEM headers and fixing them and also upgrading them by replacing the damaged catalytic converter cells in them with HJF or Twister (1200 or 800 euro respectively)

3) Buying second hand high airflow headers online with cat. Cost 1500-2000 euros

After the problem is solved, a dyno run will be done to make sure that the problem was caused by the catalytic converter. When the car performs as it should, then I will continue with the mapping and another dyno few weeks later to see the results of it!

Appreciate any advice. I am not a car expert so apologies if I am using wrong "definitions".

Video 1:

Video 2:

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
You can get a full set of used OEM headers w/cats on eBay for ~$400-500 here in the states. However, based on your description of knock and odor (I can't tell from the video), I'm not sure that is the problem. You should get a CEL if the cats are bad, and they generally wouldn't both go together unless you were using leaded race gas or something.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response ledbette

Taking the car to my mechanic tomorrow. He will remove the headers and check cells with an endoscope . He told me that there are some cells in the exhaust part also that he will check.

If the problem are the damaged cells, I have excluded the option of used OEM headers, as i can get mine fixed with twister cells (200 cells)with about 300 euro more, which i am willing to spend to get better results, knowing that mine are as new, plus having them ready in a day or two later risk free.

I will join him on the weekend while he works on the car. Hopefully the problem are the cats as it will be an "easy" fix and relatively inexpensive compared with more serious issues.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,784 Posts
I'd hold off on getting new catalytic converters until you sort out the tune. If the failure was related to the tune, you'll be replacing the new cats in short order.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ecu tunning has not being applied to the car yet. The reduce performance came up while doing the initial dyno. Initial dyno was done in order to get a reference result for future comparison.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can you elaborate on this front wheel turning thing? Does the dyno have a way to spin the front rollers so it can trick the car into thinking its on the road? That's required for these cars?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Can you elaborate on this front wheel turning thing? Does the dyno have a way to spin the front rollers so it can trick the car into thinking its on the road? That's required for these cars?
If the front wheels dont turn the car gets into safe mode . There is a Dyno mode but needs the original diagnostic from Porsche to be activated. That is what they told me. No charge so I have no reason no doubt them.

The second dyno (video 2) turns the front wheels and a run can be completed with no errors

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
**Update

Using a different diagnostic we were able to find a dyno mode. It can be adjusted for either only back wheels turning or back and front wheels also. So what i have said above is wrong. Both types of dyno can be used as long as you have the appropriate diagnostic kit with the dyno option.

It seems that this was causing the decrease performance.

Unfortunately before realising this, we had already remove exhaust and manifold which took few hours. Everything was good inside the Catalytic converter.
Took the opportunity of changing sparks as access was easier.

Will keep you updated about the results of the next dyno to confirm that everything is ok. Then apply the ecu tune and another dyno later to see the increase in performance.

Will still love to hear your opinion about removing the cells of the Catalytic convert from the OEM headers, as engine fault can be easily bypassed and inspection pass can also be arranged.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something worth mentioning.

The Stop/start button reprogrammed not to reset after turning off the car. No more annoying engine off when you forget to deactivate it

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,784 Posts
Something worth mentioning.

The Stop/start button reprogrammed not to reset after turning off the car. No more annoying engine off when you forget to deactivate it
Holy non-sequiters, Batman! What does this post have to do with the thread topic?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Holy non-sequiters, Batman! What does this post have to do with the thread topic?

Hey Chief

I am sorry if My post, in My thread, describing My recent experiences with My car have caused an upset of the forces in your universe :)

Wanted to emphasis the fact that with a good diagnostic kit you can unlock other options also beside the "dyno mode".

You can always look the other way if its bothering you so much

Cheers

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,784 Posts
It's all good. I thought I detected a wrinkle in the space-time continuum...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts