Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day guys,
Just finished the carbon upgrade on my white Cayman S, so I thought it fitting to share some pictures.

Big thanks to BJR for posting lots of pics of his exceptional Boxster. A beautiful result Brian, you should be proud of the end result. This where I got the urge to do something similar but on a smaller scale.

Special thanks to Daniel of DB CARBON for all his help and support. Daniel supplied all the carbon parts (except the steering wheel, supplied by Suncoast). Using original Porsche parts guarantees exact fit, the carbon lay up is precise and the top clear coat finish faultless. The items were well packaged for overseas shipping, all arrived on time and without any damage.
I'd recommend dealing with Daniel without hesitation.

Some pictures:
(Sorry about quality of some pics, contrast between white Cayman and carbon hard to control).

This is where 2 of the Porsches reside, on a car stacker, 993 on top, Cayman on ground:
View attachment 54419
Cayman 981S white/back interior, 20" platinum wheels, window tint, Zunsport front grille
Due to thickness of carbon lay up and clear coat finish, std Zunsport grilles too large for openings. Will fabricate my own.
View attachment 54420

Carbon pictures

Side mirror lower housings + bases, side mirror triangles
IMG_1562_1.JPG
Front air intake:
IMG_1524_1.JPG

Side air intakes:
IMG_1467_1 - Copy.JPG

Rear diffuser:
View attachment 54423

Rear diffuser + exhaust surround:
View attachment 54425

Door panel linings:
View attachment 54424
Cup holder trim pieces complete
View attachment 54426

Cup holder, chrono surround, middle console, storage box, console switch unit, PDK shifter surround
View attachment 54427

Steering wheel, ign/light switch trim lining
View attachment 54428

Ign/light switch trim lining
View attachment 54429

Other upgrades

LED interior lights in red:
IMG_1513.jpg

Dark tinted rear lights:
IMG_1469_1.JPG

LED side indicator (clear, flashes orange):
IMG_1482_1.JPG

Future upgrades:

Bilstein B16 shock absorbers
Cargraphic headers and exhaust
Fabricate set of front/rear/side vent grilles

Regards,
Chris F

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry stuffed up sending some pictures, so here goes again:

This is where 2 of the Porsches reside, on a car stacker, 993 on top, Cayman on ground:
IMG_1463_1.JPG

Cayman 981S white/back interior, 20" platinum wheels, window tint, Zunsport front grille
Due to thickness of carbon lay up and clear coat finish, std Zunsport grilles too large for openings. Will fabricate my own.
IMG_1530_1.JPG

Rear diffuser:
IMG_1538_1.JPG

Rear diffuser + exhaust surround:
IMG_1576_1.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rest of the pictures, hopefully.

Door panel linings:
IMG_1543_1.JPG

Cup holder trim pieces complete:
IMG_1541_1.JPG

Cup holder, chrono surround, middle console, storage box, console switch unit, PDK shifter surround
IMG_1556_1.JPG

Steering wheel, ign/light switch trim lining:
IMG_1549_1.JPG

Ign/light switch trim lining:
IMG_1476_1 - Copy.JPG

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Nice, well done. :beer:Looks great.

Now you have the Multifunction wheel in carbon have a think about the Techart paddles. If you get Daniel to order for you he could have them done in carbon as well. One thing I regret not doing. The Shift buttons drove me crazy being back to front.

One thing most people might not know is the DBCarbon parts come with a lifetime warranty.

:cheers:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do you have any more pictures of the rear CF diffuser?

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Fitz:

Hate to pop your bubble here, but all the carbon fiber in the world is not going to hide the fact that your steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car. I would get that looked at right away!

...Oh, and there's no clutch pedal either. What's up with that?

·
Registered
499 Posts
yeah I'd lke to know also, do you just send the pieces in and they get a layer of CF and clear??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for delay in responding, but I've been away.

BJR - Thanks for you positive comments Brian, appreciated and yes, will look at Techart paddles in carbon. Didn't know about DBCarbon lifetime warranty, that's reassuring and positive testament to Daniel's quality.

AndrewCR - The carbon on white really looks good, pics don't do it justice, better with the naked eye. The side vents are considerably stronger with the carbon, especially the horizontal stiffener midway.

steve0827 - I'll have a look at what other pics I have of rear diffuser. If not, I'll take some more and post them, not a problem.

rjpeaks - Too far away? Easy, just relocate to Australia !!

sixisenuff - Ha, very good, but...

RHD stands for RIGHT hand drive, steering wheel on RIGHT side of car, also the RIGHT amount of carbon fibre makes the car look just RIGHT.
I've heard "That car looks look's RIGHT" but never heard "That car look's LEFT"

Got 3 Porsches, Cayman and Macan with PDK gearboxes, 993 Tiptronic, so don't need clutch pedal, only gets in the way.

Sorry, but bubble very much intact !!

minthral and payne295171 - The carbon fibre parts supplied by Daniel of DBCarbon are supplied completely finished ready to install. They are genuine Porsche parts which guarantees a perfect fit which are surface prepared, then have carbon lay up, then surface finished in a clear coat. The end product is very good indeed. Daniel offers to buy back your original parts for recycling, so no point in keeping original parts which will just gather dust.
I believe DBCarbon supply the best product available, service is excellent and Daniel is always available to answer any questions you may have.
I can highly recommend DBCarbon products without hesitation.

Regards,
Chris F

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Your (real) CF looks fantastic! It must be nice to ride surrounded by that. I really like what you've done with the DB products.
Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Your (real) CF looks fantastic! It must be nice to ride surrounded by that. I really like what you've done with the DB products.
Enjoy!
Dr. Fill:

Rather than all this CF adding weight to the car (original parts PLUS carbon, PLUS clear coat), I'd rather just put the steering wheel on the correct side and put the clutch back on it. Would make the thing far more practical unless it's going to be used as a mail carrier, in which case, it should be raised about a foot higher off the ground so the driver's window better lines up with the letterboxes. This would provide supplemental income to help pay for the thing.

At least he got the color right. Just add the red and blue stripes and USPS logos.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Dr. Fill:

Rather than all this CF adding weight to the car (original parts PLUS carbon, PLUS clear coat), I'd rather just put the steering wheel on the correct side and put the clutch back on it. Would make the thing far more practical unless it's going to be used as a mail carrier, in which case, it should be raised about a foot higher off the ground so the driver's window better lines up with the letterboxes. This would provide supplemental income to help pay for the thing.

At least he got the color right. Just add the red and blue stripes and USPS logos.

BTW:

Just in a mood this morning. Gorgeous car and beautiful work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sixisenuff,
Alas, can't even use as postal van as Australia Post colours are predominantly red, so no need for a clutch, also we don't get mail deliveries as we live in rural Western Australia. Just have to find another way to supplement income to pay for car.

May have to use as what it was intended, a white Cayman S with PDK and carbon, with thankfully the steering wheel on the RIGHT side !!!

:dance:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Fitzy, can u talk about the install of the mirror parts and rear diffuser? How long did those take? Are there videos to show you how to do it?

Looks really good! I almost got white, but could not resist the red!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll see what pics I have of the mirror install, takes a little time and patience, but the rear diffuser very simple.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
steve0827

Steve, more pics or rear diffuser and exhaust surround as promised. If you decide to go ahead, installation very simple, DBCarbon products are second to none, but alas, if you do the rear which will look very cool, what about the rest of the exterior ??
You won't stop at the rear, guaranteed, speaking from experience.

....Not to mention the interior.

Regards,
Chris F

20150125_104325.jpg 20150125_104507.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Looks awesome. Curious how did you take off the door panel piece and install that? Seems its built in on the boxster? Was the cupholder and headlight switch area easy to do?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts