Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in getting a Cayman but I am worried how low the clearance is for this car as well as the long front bumper. I plan on using this car as my daily driver and there are speed bumps on my routine everyday, my driveway is also on a small incline from the street to the garage.

Is this a problem I should really worry about? or am I overreacting.

Do any of you people have problems with speed bumps or and other types of inclined roads (ie driveway)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I haven't had any problems. If you keep the suspension stock and remember to take things at an angle, you should be fine.

Good luck!
-Moto

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
There has been a ton of stuff written on the clearance issue. The search tool will provide all the info you need.

Generally speaking though, you won't have anything to worry about. Why not take a car on a test drive of the potentially offending bumps?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the only car I driven is my suv, so I don;t know what it means to drive on a speed bump at an angle. Can somebody explain this to me?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Approach the speed bump at an angle instead of straight on. You want ONE front wheel to start up the speed bump first instead of both front wheels at the same time. Those of us with lowered suspension know this practice all too well.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
the only car I driven is my suv, so I don;t know what it means to drive on a speed bump at an angle. Can somebody explain this to me?
This is referring to the approach angle of your car with respect to the speed bump or driveway. So, everyone would drive up the incline perpendicular to the include. You would drive up on the incline @ an angle (30 degrees or 45 degrees) - one wheel would get on the incline before your other front wheel.

·
Registered
241 Posts
No problems here, access ramps with a big incline could be troublesome but I've yet to encounter one of those! Just aproach at an angle as said.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Even at tough angles in Manhattan parking garages I have been ok. Once in a while remember that going at an angle will help alot if you run in to something extreme. I use mine as a daily driver as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i am interested in a new car, but it would be awesome if the dealer lends me a used car on their lot for me to take home and try. do you think the allow this type of test run? i live 10 miles from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I have scraped my front lips on approximately 5 occasions, mostly through drainage depressions on curbs or in parking garages at the bottom of ramps where angling is not possible. I have PASM, so my ride height is lower than a non-PASM car. The lips are relatively eaasy to replace and not very expensive, so I consider them to be sacrificial. I have never had a problem with a speed bump.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have had no issues with speed bumps; aka sleeping policemen, but have encounters everyday with my driveway. The bottom of the front clip is scratched beyond belief, but not visible from the front. Good luck!:)

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,765 Posts
I have lowered my car 1.5" and don't have a problem with speed bumps.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts