Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K...don't laugh, but my Cayman might be my winter beater car in a few years...
I was wondering if anyone else goes through the same "cycle" as I do. For nearly 2 decades I've driven about 30K miles per year...approx 22.5 miles in the summer, 7.5K miles in the winter. So when I buy a new car, I drive it 8-9 months/year, while driving my used older car during the winter. I always want 2 cars anyway and need a second car as a back-up.
So after 3-4 years or so, my new car now has 75K or more miles, and I have that itch again for a new car... so my car with the 75K miles now becomes my new winter "beater", and so on.... I keep my winter beaters for a few years too, up till 100-110K usually.
Currently, my new 2009 Cayman has 9K miles already, and will not see winter, but it will in all likelihood become my winter car in 3-4 years!
My current winter beater is a 2003 325i (E46 with 95K miles) which I like a lot. (I really haven't liked any of the BMW's since, as I think the designs, and workmanship too, have deteriorated)

Oh, btw, when I get the new car, I always get rid of my winter beater (the one with over 100K miles) at the same time. I've never had 3 cars at once yet. I've wound up just selling them cheaply to a family member or friend in financial distress, and I've had a LOT of those

I think the cycle is gonna be broken next time though, lol. I like my Cayman so much that I think next year it'll be year-round for me! Also, each car is "better" than the last, and the Cayman is hard to beat. So next time I would wanna get a C4S, or TT (or used f430, or 458!!!). And no, don't worry, a f430 would not (and could not) become my winter beater!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Interesting rotation you have going. When you say "winter beater," do you drive this vehicle in snow or ice? What type of winters are you experiencing that you need a beater car? They cannot be that bad since you do not have a 4-wheel drive in the stable. If you need something with 4-wheel have you considered getting a Toyota suv or truck that you can put 200k miles on (potentially a low cost 3rd vehicle)? That way you could have two "non beaters" to trade off on during the summer months ie lower mileage on each. Then your dedicated "winter beater" would last a LONG time with only 7.5k per year. Just a thought.

Not sure I would ever make a cayman a "winter beater"... maybe a cayenne?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I guess my whole point is that my winter car is just my previously desirable car which is used enough and depreciated enough such that I don't worry about it anymore. I really don't have winter beater.
I can't bring myself to drive a true "beater". Life's too short to not try to enjoy one's drive every day, even in the winter...I hate SUV's or sitting up high, and I just won't get one...
Btw, we get signif snow, but my rwd BMW 325i with snow tires and 100 lbs in the trunk has been by best winter car ever. It doesn't have SUV-type clearance, but I have NEVER had a spinout with my rwd cars, unlike other cars I've had.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good grief...

Buy a Subaru. It will work better in the snow anyway, and Legacys and Imprezas are not high off the ground, not that Foresters and Outbacks are *that* tall, either, compared to things like Suburbans and such.

Keep your Cayman salt-free, and not wrapped around a tree. Someone else might want a Used cayman in a few years...

Like maybe, ME.

And I would still drive my subies in the winter instead. I'd pit my 2005 Legacy GT 5-speed stick with 50/50 AWD, and nearly 300hp, and snow tires, against your BMW in the winter, any day of the week, in terms of snow traction.

My winter beater 111K mile AWD '92 SVX on all season tires probably does at least as well as a RWD BMW, but I just got it this summer for a song, and have yet to put it through it's snow-weather paces.

And there is no way I could get an AWD Porsche for anywhere near as little as I paid for my SVX... I'd be lucky to find a well used 996 C4 with high mileage for less than I paid for my Legacy, and it was nearly new then. But the only car that I can think of better daily use car than a good Subaru, is a good Porsche... or maybe an Audi R8 with AWD, maybe.

Subies are not on par with Porsches in most instances, but there are reasons to have something easier to maintain, less expensive to purchase, and more qualified in all-wheel traction, when you are talking about winter driving duty.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
I will be driving my Cayman year round. When the snow comes ( the 5-8 work days a year that we get it usually), I will switch to the truck since I have a 33 mile drive to work. Mrs. GM3 will take the Cayman to work since she only has to go 1 mile.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Add these and some winter tires, and just keep going!

Of course, here in the Bay Area, there is no need for a winter beater :taunt:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'd buy a 2003-04 Buick LeSabre and add winter tires for a beater--lasts a long time (with the 3.8 L motor, it'll go 150-200K), front drive, big and comfortable (seats 6 if you need it), great HVAC (great heater!), big trunk to tote ropes, chains, and a full size spare, and you can buy one with low miles (less than 40K) for about $8000 or so. Easy to work on and parts are reasonable, too. Only needs a tune up every 100K miles! (I have one and just had my first tune up done at 94K miles)

Then, just keep the Cayman as your "nice" ride. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
i've had my cayman for over 2.5 years and drive it almost everyday (except when i'm sick, out-of-town, or otherwise can't drive), even in the winter, and i've never had any problems with driving in the winter.:)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have never driven one of my Porsches in the snow. But now the chain is going to be broken. I have a set of snows that are being mounted on my stock 18's. I've decided to drive and enjoy putting miles on this one.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well, I guess my whole point is that my winter car is just my previously desirable car which is used enough and depreciated enough such that I don't worry about it anymore. I really don't have winter beater.
I can't bring myself to drive a true "beater". Life's too short to not try to enjoy one's drive every day, even in the winter...I hate SUV's or sitting up high, and I just won't get one...
Btw, we get signif snow, but my rwd BMW 325i with snow tires and 100 lbs in the trunk has been by best winter car ever. It doesn't have SUV-type clearance, but I have NEVER had a spinout with my rwd cars, unlike other cars I've had.
I see your point in not wanting to drive a true "beater." Honestly if it doesn't bother you to muck a Porsche about in the snow, go for it. Might I suggest going to Porsche's winter driving school? Retiring the Cayman to winter duty sounds like a good excuse, they let you drive Carrera 4's around a snow track at speed could be good...practice :).

Add these and some winter tires, and just keep going!

Of course, here in the Bay Area, there is no need for a winter beater :taunt:
I have these floorliner mats from weather tech in a 99 Land Cruiser that we have retired to the Lake. Worth every penny!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I just ordered a set of studded tyres for my Cayman S and plan to drive it through the winter here. Then again, watch this space in 6 months time, I might be a bit wiser then :)

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
I will be driving my Cayman year round. When the snow comes ( the 5-8 work days a year that we get it usually), I will switch to the truck since I have a 33 mile drive to work. Mrs. GM3 will take the Cayman to work since she only has to go 1 mile.
+1 that is what I will do. Cayman turbo will have to face the cold ... :hilarious:

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
With the right winter/snow tires, the only issue is ground clearance (if driving through deep, unplowed snow) and watching out that you don't get hit by some dimwit in an SUV that doesn't know how to drive in the snow.

Ever since I saw Robert Redford driving a 911 on snow covered roads thru the Alps in Downhill Racer, I have been convinced that Porsches are great winter cars too. :)

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
Of course they are great, just as the original Beetle was almost unbeatable in snow. You have the wheight of the engine on the wheels that transfer the powaaaaaahhh. Just a question of good tires.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
Tires are the main issue here plus the low ground clearance. If i had a separate set of winter and summer tires, I might drive it in moderate snow/ice. As long as we have our Volvo, we're set. Today we got 3" of wet heavy snow and tonight is the PCA Potomac Happy Hour. Since we won't be showing off cars at this location anyway (and some may arrive on Metro), we'll take the Volvo.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
When I took my CS in for its annual state inspection at my local dealer last April, the guy in front of me was doing the same for his Carrera GT. We spoke briefly and he mentioned he has a base Cayman as his winter beater. (He loved it.)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts