Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,
My battery needed replacement and before I connect the new battery I wanted to ask a few of you which side is positive - not the battery (I can see the + and - on it) but the leads that connect the battery to the car.

On my 2006 US model, there is one lead with one cable and a second lead with two cables. I believe the lead with two cables is the ground and it is on the drivers side. Therefore, the passenger side has the positive.

I watched a few videos and saw one person (UK based on accent) claim to disconnect the positive lead but he was disconnecting the UK Passenger side lead. Which to me is the US Driver's side.

Thus my concern....on your US Cayman, which side is the positive lead ? Driver's or Passenger's?
Does the negative lead have two cables?

Thanks in advance. And have a great spring and summer.

Scott

·
Registered
344 Posts
This "solution" may be obvious but here goes...
Why don't you see which is connected to the battery positive terminal already and apply red tape on it so you know when you remove the old battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Easier said than done. I should have mentioned..... I already removed the dead one. I am pretty sure I have it correct but wanted someone to double check my work so to speak before I make a mistake that was easily preventable. Thanks and have a great spring.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
It's good to be careful. I had a friend once put a new replacement battery that was made for a std domestic (USA) car in his German Volkswagen. He didn't realize the poles were inverted and of course the cables were not long enough to reach across to the proper side of the battery. He was not used to foreign cars and just assumed. The car actually cranked backwards but wouldn't start. I couldn't believe the car wasn't damaged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks to all that responded.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks much. After reading your reply, I took a flashlight to the situation and found that one lead is only 8-10 inches long and it is connected to the chassis. Passenger and Driver side discussions only complicate the discussion. Perfect information and avoids any confusion.

Best wishes.
Scott

The cable that's grounded to the chassis is the - terminal.

The + terminal is always insulated, and usually red.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts