Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The idea is nagging at me. I sold my 986s and moved up to a cayman s. I told myself that the roof made it look better and the engine was a huge plus that i couldn't afford to buy in a boxster (because it required a newer vehicle).
The cayman makes a lot of sense to a performance driving enthusiast, particularly those that would do an occasional track day.

I haven't been that guy and its probably not gonna happen anytime soon. For the back road driver, nothing beats being able to take the top down. So here's the question/call for advice. Is there anyone out there willing to trade a 2007 Boxster S for Cayman S? Any of you who may work in auto sales give me advice on whether/how a dealership could be approached about this sort of swap without killing me financially on both sides of the deal?

Advice, insights, lemme know.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Interesting question. I'm sorry I cant help but please keep us posted on how you manage that!

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I posted this picture a while back and If this spy photo is real. Some people might have a dilemma.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
that is a boxster spyder.
Either way if they change the roof line on the Boxster some folks might convert. Also from what I’ve heard was that Porsche was changing the Boxster to a Four cylinder Turbo. And then offering a Cayman cabriolet. I guess to start separating the 2 models. Similar to what they did with the two Gen II Cayman & Boxster.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Either way if they change the roof line on the Boxster some folks might convert. Also from what I’ve heard was that Porsche was changing the Boxster to a Four cylinder Turbo. And then offering a Cayman cabriolet. I guess to start separating the 2 models. Similar to what they did with the two Gen II Cayman & Boxster.
I wouldn't base anything off speculation and btw the roof line isn't changing... here is the latest spyshot of the next gen boxster:

Oh and why is this part of this discussion any way? The OP is about trading his cayman for a boxster because he misses the open top of the boxster.

·
Registered
975 Posts
To the OP, I wish you luck with finding someone wanting to trade. Let us know how the search is going.

Also from what I’ve heard was that Porsche was changing the Boxster to a Four cylinder Turbo. And then offering a Cayman cabriolet. I guess to start separating the 2 models. Similar to what they did with the two Gen II Cayman & Boxster.
Wow if thats true seems like they're trying to do some sleight of hand to the Boxster's price. Basically introduce a new model (aka VW blusport) badged as "Boxster" and take the existing Boxster and call it a Cayman cab. Honestly always did seem a bit odd to me that the 987 Cayman cost more than the Boxster since they are essentially the same car. Sure they differentiated power in 987.2 but that could just be a stepping stone on the way towards squeezing more profit out of the traditional 6 cylinder Boxster.

·
Registered
283 Posts
To the OP, I wish you luck with finding someone wanting to trade. Let us know how the search is going.

Wow if thats true seems like they're trying to do some sleight of hand to the Boxster's price. Basically introduce a new model (aka VW blusport) badged as "Boxster" and take the existing Boxster and call it a Cayman cab. Honestly always did seem a bit odd to me that the 987 Cayman cost more than the Boxster since they are essentially the same car. Sure they differentiated power in 987.2 but that could just be a stepping stone on the way towards squeezing more profit out of the traditional 6 cylinder Boxster.
If this is true, Porsche will then have a new entry level car with a good name, and can charge more for the new Cab than the regular Cayman. A win-win-win situation. The marketing guys at VW might just do it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
We have two Cayman S's, a '07 tiptronic and '06 6-speed and love them dearly. I was thinking of stepping down (financially) and replace the CS '07 with a pre-owned Boxster or Boxster S (with tiptronic...it's for my wife). We miss the top down driving since the summer is around the corner!

Wonder if a dealer can do the financial paperwork so that the payment would be considerably less.:thanks:

--Hal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts