Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read lots of threads about the GT3 ducts are more effective than the stock ones. Does anyone have any data?
Also, can I take my stock fronts and install them in the rear? Anything should be better than nothing and it would be great if I could reuse the stock parts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Upgrading the fronts, is easy and cheap. IIRC I paid $11 for them. It did seem to help the front brakes cooler, but I have no empirical data.

The rears are a bigger problem. The front spoilers will not work on the rear. I have heard that GT2 rear coolers can be made to work, but the are about 2 orders of magnitude more money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Not scientific, but for me - using the front GT3 ducts, I was able to do more laps before brake fade set in. for the rear, I did Frankenstein the old front ducts but have no idea if they are effective as the surface "scoop" area is much smaller after cutting it up to fit.

Have a read here, some more experienced people such as Vetman have had some success with the 996/997 ducts for the rear and yes as kmaneh as mentioned, they are many times more expensive than the fronts Rear brake ducts for 987s

·
Registered
946 Posts
If you are interested in front brake ducts, check out the 996 Cup brake ducts, they actually fit right on to your existing LCA's provided they are not aftermarket GT3 stye like RSS or Tarett. Seems that I saw the price around $36.00 on the internet. I have scrapped it a couple of times and it's still there, a steep angled speed bump will do it.

You be the judge of how much more air is deflected to your front brake caliper. In the rear the best bet for the money is a 996 turbo rear duct, which is attached to your torque arm, not the LCA. I have a GT2 duct strapped to my Tarett Cup LCA. You might get a banding device to attach your used front, but the angle of where the air goes is wrong for the rear. Needs to be focused on the rear caliper.

1579714814275.png
DSC_0026.JPG

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ordered the regular GT3 ducts since Auto Atlanta had them for about $8 a pair compared to almost $200 for the cup version! Found Cayman Videos on Youtube and he actually was able to measure a temperature difference with the GT3 on one side and stock on the other. He also had an interesting video using the 997 TT ducts. Again he was able to measure a difference side to side compared to stock. He did have to modify it for both fit and even extended it for greater effectiveness. Studying the pictures the radius of the front ducts appears too small to be effective in the rear. AA had them for about $23 each so it wasn't expensive.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Great. I ran into this a couple of years ago, when I was upgrading my Tarett Cup LCA's and the fit of the OEM brake ducts. My shop thought the same as the video guy, not enough air captured by the 997 TT ducts to do any good. But, the video guy modified the lower portion to catch more air. You may be able to revit on part of the original from the front onto the lower part of the 997 TT duct to gain the additional air flow. Notice on my front 996 Cup ducts, the lower part is revitid to the attachment part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts