Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had placed an order for a Cayman S w/ Feb build date with the expectation that the car would arrive in early April (which is when my current Cayman S lease expires - April 1).

I got an email from the dealer today telling me, "due to production cuts the feb build cars have been allocated April build dates. Your build date April 9th"

Can anyone corroborate this?

My options seem to be:

1. Turn my car back at April 1 and spend $s to rent some sort of **** car.

2. Extend my lease

3. Purchase my car from the bank and either hold off on purchasing a new car for a while or have the dealer buy it back

4. Walk away from 10 years of Porsche ownership and find a different manufacturer that is less difficult to work with

Option 1:
Frankly, I'm really "less than enthused" about option 1.

Option 2:
Unfortunately not an option. The bank won't do it.

Option 3:
It looks like the residual value of my vehicle is $39K. The car (2007 Cayman S) had an MSRP of $66K (i.e. to give a sense as to the $s spent in options)and has only 10K miles on it (crazy considering it has been my daily drive for the last 3 years). I'm going to check with the dealer and see if they will commit to purchasing the vehicle from me if I purchase it from the bank. If they will and they can offer close to this price.

I was wondering if anyone had a sense as to how accurate KBB values are for Cayman's in the current market.

Option 4:
Will have a seperate thread/question about this

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Someone not too long ago had the same problem. Same options basically.

I still say keep the order. Go buy anything with an engine and wheels. It will be cheaper than renting for 2 months. The uglier and dumpier the better. And keep telling people you are going to get a new ride, but don't tell them what. Then keep your camera ready for the looks you get as you pull up in your "new" car. When the Porsche comes in donate the beater for tax purposes.

Of course this is if you can stand driving a real beater for a couple of months.

On another note, I am not liking these comments about canceled build dates. I have been waiting long enough...2 more months will kill me. Think a call to the dealer is in order first thing Monday morning.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I suppose you could also attempt to buy it and sell it in a private sell. You may not get as much as you would like but it might be better than the dealer offer. I would hope the dealer would be willing to give you what you owe on it since you will taking another car from them and they should want to keep you as a loyal customer.

On another note...do you ever leave your house? 10k for 3 years of daily driving! That works out to be about 9 miles a day. I don't use mine as a daily driver but I take a lot of trips in my daily and can rack up over 1000 miles with one trip. I do atleast 100-150 miles a week just going to work, shopping, out to dinner (and I have a pretty short drive to the office). Now get out there and drive that car :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Make an arrangement with the Porsche dealership to sell you a used car off the lot. When your car arrives you trade the used car back to them for the same money you paid. Sales tax will be covered by the trade. Ask the dealer if he wants to lose the sale or gain a customer?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Sounds like your original plan was really cutting it close - things always just happen.

Another option would be to buy off the lot. If it were me, I'd just buy some beater - and if it really were a beater it shouldn't loose any more value in only 2 months of minimal driving.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Make an arrangement with the Porsche dealership to sell you a used car off the lot. When your car arrives you trade the used car back to them for the same money you paid. Sales tax will be covered by the trade. Ask the dealer if he wants to lose the sale or gain a customer?

I like this option. Stay with the dealer and work something out. If they won't play nice, drop the order.

Instead of a complete beater, I'd look for something in demand currently like a Prius or popular Honda model. These you can absolutely flip for the least depreciation.

Another idea that may not work right now but is a possibility for better economic times is to go to the the used car guy at a multi-brand high end dealer. These guys generally have customers who order up the latest and greatest new car in a popular color/option combo, keep the car 2 or 3 months and then sell it as used FOR THE SAME PRICE THEY PAID. The used car guy has a waiting list for the car and charges over list for it. They're not allowed to charge over list for a new car. Everybody wins including the "gotta have it now" buyer.

Resale is particulary bad on your CS this time because the economy was roaring when you bought this car and has tanked while you're trying to sell. Plus your selling a Gen 1 and buying the much improved Gen 2.

You'll see the same thing with other luxury/sports cars now.

I took advantage of this situation and bought my well-optioned Gen I CS for $38.6 in the bleakest point of economic curve. I didn't even negotiate, just showed up.

Things are looking up slightly now and the newer cars are faster, better riding and more economical with better engine oiling for track use, better electronics and the amazing PDK.

I'm going to take a resale hit because I bought just before the verdict was in on the Gen II cars. If they had been a flop, I might have made money on paper on my car. The Gen IIs are wonderful, however, so demand will be less for my car when I'm ready to sell. That won't be for several years, I'm sure.

I just wanted a nice, well-built sports car to have some fun with and didn't want to spend the world on it. Looked at M3's and thought they'd gotten too big. I was surprised that I could buy an '06 CS with all the fun options for this price and went for it. I plan on keeping my CS for quite a while.

That's how you do it if you buy them outright. You have to forgo some of the latest features, but if the car has basic goodness, like this one does, you barely miss the new stuff.

I did have one problem last night though. Went to a party with my wife. A friend had a bash at his new house and my GPS didn't even have his street listed. A new DVD is $150 or so and I'm betting the street won't be on the new DVD either. Maybe the 2010 version?

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
Rent a car. That's the least amount of hassle.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
If your build date is now April 9th then yeah you are looking at about a month later, say May 9th until you actually receive your car, so over a month wait from the time you are supposed to return your car.

I would approach your dealer/Porsche with the following proposal - since the delay is their fault, not yours, that they have to either extend your lease by another month (or two) at the same price, or they have to agree to buy your car from you if you buy it at end of lease for no less than the amount of your lease payment differential on a pro-rated basis. What I mean by that is let's say you buy the car at 39K and your monthly lease payment is $1000. If you buy it April 1 and your car shows up May 15th the dealer has to agree to buy it for $39k - $1500 (1.5 months x your lease payment). Although with this purchase option you'd be out some sales tax and possibly personal property tax and licensing fees depending upon your state.

The reason these delays exist is because Porsche (at VW's request) has cancelled the Magna contract and now owes Magna money now as opposed to later when cars started rolling off the assembly line in Austria at the Magna facility. To try and "save" money Porsce is actually cutting production of several vehicles in its lineup and idling plants so they don't incur further debts. They are willing to see a drop in sales with certain models if it actually helps them unload debt faster, both from the failed VW takeover and now all of the contracts that are being cancelled that VW doesn't want or claims it doesn't need now that it controls Porsche and not the other way around.

Other models like the V6 Panamera (not publicly announced but my sources at Porsche in Germany have shown me such a car so I know it is coming) will be ramped up in the hope of meeting what Porsche/VW believe is increased demand for some models over others. What is funny or worrisome depending on how you look at it is that the Cayman/Boxster line is the one showing some growth currently in terms of numbers this year vs. last as opposed to the Panamera line that right now is a complete uncertainty. The same things is happening to some 911 and Cayenne models as well.

Porsche is not the same company that it was and despite smiles on camera and pleasant handshakes in public there is a lot of hand wringing behind the scenes on how to get rid of the Porsche debt load on VW before it becomes a problem for VW as well.

You will be darn lucky to get your car in May, so whatever you do, GET IT IN WRITING and make sure the terms are favorable to you. As for not buying a Porsche anymore, that' a personal decision you need to make, but if you do choose something else you won't be alone, I'm hearing from a lot of now former Porsche owners that they finally gave up on the company after being mistreated or let down, etc. in their opinion. Porsche could be facing a PR nightmare if Panamera sales don't hold up or if the economy takes another dip down as is often the case during a recession recovery that there can be periods of backsliding. I'm not privvy to the plans of all the bean counters, but I have to believe from my sources that Porsche is facing some scary and risky decisions, and cutting production like this is just the tip of the iceberg. Perhaps if "Mega" was here, he could give us the straight scoop. :) :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think you will end up with some variation of option 1. You stated that option 2 is not an option, there is no way the dealer would give you 39K for a 2007 CS in this economy (option 3), and you would be unhappy with option 4 (nice bluff). Suggest trying to get the dealer to rent you a loaner until your car comes in.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Suggest trying to get the dealer to rent you a loaner until your car comes in.
Yeah, start there, and just rent from whatever path you take until your car arrives. I don't know what state you reside in, but buying anything will result in sales tax in CA--a big hit.

My buddy had an Audi on order that he ultimately never took delivery for, and he was in a rental sedan 4 door box for 3 months waiting for it to arrive. He lived to tell about it. He's back in a leased BMW 5 series for now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Regarding K-Man S's post, I think the time to buy or order a Porsche in general is NOW. The market has been completely out of balance for them, still too many 2009's sitting around (some 987's and espec 997's). This drastic cut in 2010 production, to decrease debt as mentioned above, will eventually cause prices to rise.There won't be as many on the lot, meaning mostly ordered cars, and much less discounting or bargains around.
I also think that this is a great time to finance because money is cheap. It is possible that if the value of the dollar continues to slide, the future prices of new Porsces will rise SIGNIFICANTLY, or more likely VW/Porsche will have to cut costs and cheapen down the Porsche brand to continue at its current price point in the U.S. market.

·
Northeast Member
747 Posts
re: option 2, are you assuming the bank won't extend your lease, or have you talked to them? Some lease companies do allow for lease extension, I know Ford Credit does. If your lease is with Porsche financial, they of all people should be willing and able to extend due to the circumstances.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Regarding K-Man S's post, I think the time to buy or order a Porsche in general is NOW. The market has been completely out of balance for them, still too many 2009's sitting around (some 987's and espec 997's). This drastic cut in 2010 production, to decrease debt as mentioned above, will eventually cause prices to rise.There won't be as many on the lot, meaning mostly ordered cars, and much less discounting or bargains around.
I also think that this is a great time to finance because money is cheap. It is possible that if the value of the dollar continues to slide, the future prices of new Porsces will rise SIGNIFICANTLY, or more likely VW/Porsche will have to cut costs and cheapen down the Porsche brand to continue at its current price point in the U.S. market.
I posted something similar to this in another thread a month or two ago, so +1. I've always wondered about Porsche's margins on the Boxster, and to a lesser extent the Cayman. So many of the parts are shared with a 997. I can't believe the engines and drivelines are much cheaper to produce, if at all. The base interiors are very similar. The body and paintwork seem to be of similar quality. The suspensions aren't all that different, either are the brakes, etc. Recently cross-shopping a Boxster with a Corvette convertible, the '09 Boxster actually seemed like a better value. In 2006 the 987 prices seemed high, but prices of other cars have risen dramatically, while the prices for the Boxster and Cayman have been more stable.

Predictions of what a company might do with its products are usually futile pontification, but let's say that it wouldn't surprise me if future versions of the Boxster and Cayman shared fewer 911 parts.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Interesting point, Blueone.
Consider, for example, that the new boxters,C,CS,C2,C2S all use the same engine block,aren't too different in overall size, etc. and have the highest quality similar materials...but a C2S can cost double a 2.9 boxter or even a stripper cayman.
Big difference in profit margin-- so, as you said, maybe they'll soon make them cheaper using VW parts or they instead increase boxter prices.
Maybe they priced the boxter/cayman as" entry level", knowing that many will now become hooked on Porsche and will buy that new 911 as their next car....

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Why not use option 3a. Why not buy it and keep it another year or two? Sure the prospect of a new car is enticing, but the Gen I cars are still great cars. There will be less depreciation on it than on a new vehicle. And you already know the car well.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Someone not too long ago had the same problem. Same options basically.

I still say keep the order. Go buy anything with an engine and wheels. It will be cheaper than renting for 2 months. The uglier and dumpier the better. And keep telling people you are going to get a new ride, but don't tell them what. Then keep your camera ready for the looks you get as you pull up in your "new" car. When the Porsche comes in donate the beater for tax purposes.

Of course this is if you can stand driving a real beater for a couple of months.

On another note, I am not liking these comments about canceled build dates. I have been waiting long enough...2 more months will kill me. Think a call to the dealer is in order first thing Monday morning.
If you can handle that, I'd say its a good option. But I have to say you should take a look at your tax rules. I have no idea about them and they should be in consideration!

If this "could" work, it's a very good option!

However if not, and the option above is not suitable, I'd say rent a car!

If your build date is now April 9th then yeah you are looking at about a month later, say May 9th until you actually receive your car, so over a month wait from the time you are supposed to return your car.

I would approach your dealer/Porsche with the following proposal - since the delay is their fault, not yours, that they have to either extend your lease by another month (or two) at the same price, or they have to agree to buy your car from you if you buy it at end of lease for no less than the amount of your lease payment differential on a pro-rated basis. What I mean by that is let's say you buy the car at 39K and your monthly lease payment is $1000. If you buy it April 1 and your car shows up May 15th the dealer has to agree to buy it for $39k - $1500 (1.5 months x your lease payment). Although with this purchase option you'd be out some sales tax and possibly personal property tax and licensing fees depending upon your state.

The reason these delays exist is because Porsche (at VW's request) has cancelled the Magna contract and now owes Magna money now as opposed to later when cars started rolling off the assembly line in Austria at the Magna facility. To try and "save" money Porsce is actually cutting production of several vehicles in its lineup and idling plants so they don't incur further debts. They are willing to see a drop in sales with certain models if it actually helps them unload debt faster, both from the failed VW takeover and now all of the contracts that are being cancelled that VW doesn't want or claims it doesn't need now that it controls Porsche and not the other way around.

Other models like the V6 Panamera (not publicly announced but my sources at Porsche in Germany have shown me such a car so I know it is coming) will be ramped up in the hope of meeting what Porsche/VW believe is increased demand for some models over others. What is funny or worrisome depending on how you look at it is that the Cayman/Boxster line is the one showing some growth currently in terms of numbers this year vs. last as opposed to the Panamera line that right now is a complete uncertainty. The same things is happening to some 911 and Cayenne models as well.

Porsche is not the same company that it was and despite smiles on camera and pleasant handshakes in public there is a lot of hand wringing behind the scenes on how to get rid of the Porsche debt load on VW before it becomes a problem for VW as well.

You will be darn lucky to get your car in May, so whatever you do, GET IT IN WRITING and make sure the terms are favorable to you. As for not buying a Porsche anymore, that' a personal decision you need to make, but if you do choose something else you won't be alone, I'm hearing from a lot of now former Porsche owners that they finally gave up on the company after being mistreated or let down, etc. in their opinion. Porsche could be facing a PR nightmare if Panamera sales don't hold up or if the economy takes another dip down as is often the case during a recession recovery that there can be periods of backsliding. I'm not privvy to the plans of all the bean counters, but I have to believe from my sources that Porsche is facing some scary and risky decisions, and cutting production like this is just the tip of the iceberg. Perhaps if "Mega" was here, he could give us the straight scoop. :) :)
Now I gotta say, this is REALLY scary!

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
There may be fewer build allocations but I tend to doubt that all Cayman production slots for Feb have been moved to April. These cars were previously built in very large numbers, so unless the production lines are shut down some cars will be built. Additionally, Porsche is consolidating its dealer network and "underperforming" dealers are being closed. Dealers that sell the most cars get the most allocations. Perhaps your dealer is a large well allocated dealer, but if not, it's possible that slots are available, just not for your dealer. Did your dealer call other dealers about a Feb allocation? Afterall you only need one. I'd look into this a little further w/ the dealer just to be sure there aren't any options to get your car when you want it.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
After reading this I called and checked on my January build date. It has been rescheduled for February 9. I was told that I wouldn't get the car until the end of March. My local PCA usually holds their first Autocross in March. I was counting on breaking the car in and attending. Bummer!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts