Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Waxing will not remove hard water spots. Car wax provides protection and adds gloss/shine to a car's finish.

It really depends on how severe the hard water is in your area and whether the spots have etched themselves in the paint. You might start with some quick detailing spray like Zaino Z-6 or Meguiar's first. If that doesn't work, you should consider hand polishing with a light polishing compound (like Meguiar's ScratchX) or claybarring the car. As a last resort, removing the spots with an abrasive polishing compound, foam pad, and random orbital polisher should do the trick.

Removing water spots from glass or a windshield is usually easier, and you can use a mixture of water and a small amount of white distilled vinegar. I don't recommend using this on a car's paint, though.

Remember to apply a layer of sealant or wax after removing the spots as that area will be bare.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you so much interpol for the detailed response. the car wash did not want to clay bar it just yet. they tried something similar like a polishing compound and it removed some top layer hard water marks, but there's still some that it did not get. im considering having them claybar it this weekend because i dont want the remaining spots to settle in. what do you think? is there a porsche place i can go to for them to clay bar this to remove the remaining water spots? your advice is the only thing i have to go by so thank you in advance.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I posted this solution about 2 years ago. When I got my 2007 in 2008 upon inspection my paint appeared to have acid rain drops etched into the paint all over it and the glass. I was horrified. Turns out it was hard water spots. I went to a store that only delt with detailers and purchased a product called
3D Eraser Gel water spot remover.
took all the spots off the glass and paint. Paint looks like new to this day. If you c an find this on the internet it will work.
Good luck.
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.