Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you do to improve the character of your Cayman?

There are lots of options for modifying your Cayman but which ones add the greatest character enhancements?

Would you recommend:

- More HP/torque?
- Suspension tweaks?
- Better sound track?
- Move the engine further back?!

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
What is your objective? Looks, sound, track? In what condition are the roads you drive?

The car is very good out of the box.

With that said, I have done lots of mods on my gen 1 car. My objective is track and some street.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point, I supose I am looking more from a street driving perspective.

IMO the Cayman does not seem to come alive unless until you are well into triple figure speed teritory - its feels too well behaved on the street.

My old 986 Boxster used to stir the soul everytime I drove it regardless of the speed; I'm not sure if it was the soundtrack, the feedback through the normally assisted steering or the feeback through the non-electronic suspension that did it?

I would like to get the same pleasure from driving my Cayman so I am interested in hearing what mods people have done that release the Porsche character that I know is lurking in there somewhere!

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
The most feel you can get is an aftermarket catback exhaust. You pick the flavor vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry, (depends how brash you want it). It will give you the sound and a little seat of the pants feel. You will get the added bonus of some additional performance, because of better breathing, based on no cat on the catback.

·
Registered
992 Posts
What would you do to improve the character of your Cayman?

There are lots of options for modifying your Cayman but which ones add the greatest character enhancements?

Would you recommend:

- More HP/torque?
- Suspension tweaks?
- Better sound track?
- Move the engine further back?!
Coilovers and sways...or some type of f/i.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
at least 150 more ft lbs torque

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
extanker, you'll need a reverse mounted protective aluminum cup for the Gs pulled with +150 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Exhaust - bi-modal preferred (in case of too much character!)

Reduce the power, maybe try a throttle stop? After all, it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow!

My 1985 MR2 had some character, but was ALWAYS a blast to drive (with 112HP and 2300 lbs.) The 1992 MR2 was more powerful, a little more refined and a little less fun. The Cayman S is a lot more refined, a lot faster, and maybe a little less fun to drive yet.

·
Registered
151 Posts
IMO the Cayman does not seem to come alive unless until you are well into triple figure speed teritory - its feels too well behaved on the street.
Have you tried pushing really hard on the right foot pedal??

Seriously, after a year plus of relatively daily driving my '08 Cayman S, I'm becoming more aware of what an awesome car/drive/experience it is stock, right out of the box.

Initially, coming out of a BMW M coupe and a Honda S2000, I thought it was too disconnected and Buick-like. Over time, as I've grown more accustomed to how it drives, and driven it harder, I found it just seems to respond with more, the more you ask of it.

I've got an SRP to install, and am looking for an exhaust, and can't wait to see what a monster those changes will create.

Try driving it harder, not abusively but more like it was probably meant to be driven, and you might find it responds in kind. I've learned it's a responsive, visceral, exciting world-class sports car.

HTH. Best, Dave

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Good point, I supose I am looking more from a street driving perspective.

My old 986 Boxster used to stir the soul everytime I drove it regardless of the speed; I'm not sure if it was the soundtrack, the feedback through the normally assisted steering or the feeback through the non-electronic suspension that did it?

I would like to get the same pleasure from driving my Cayman so I am interested in hearing what mods people have done that release the Porsche character that I know is lurking in there somewhere!
Jez:

Not sure what you mean by well-behaved. I think maybe you're not throwing it hard enough around corners yet. Maybe open the windows?;)

If you want it to feel more sporty, first thing is probably Sport Chrono then. It changes the accelerator curve and gives you a real boost off-idle. The car can be a little touchy to get going in 1st gear, but after that, it's all good. Fattens up the torque above about 1800 RPMs and the car just takes off from stop lights, out of corners etc. If you already have a car and don't have Sport Chrono, you can add an aftermarket electronic box that will do the same thing permanently.

Another good way to do it is to get the Softronic Flash and have them add the "sport option". This gives you the Sport Chrono curve all the time. You don't get the option of turning it off and on as you do when you order SC with the car...no sport button on the dash, but you get the performance...plus the Flash itself adds a bit more grunt and HP.

I have the Softronic race plenum and flash, which is another step up. I still have a stock exhaust and the car is more fun to drive with this setup. It's not cheap, but it does add a nice bit of fun and above 4000, it really pulls hard. With a less restrictive exhaust, it's even more effective, so I'm told. Exhaust on the way for me.

Another nice little change that costs the price of a piece of good sticky tape, is to go under the dash and tape closed the button that's normally in when your foot is off the clutch. This button has a very mild spring and can be taped down easily. This gives the clutch a more direct action instead of varying the engine characteristic in an effort to make starting off easier. I think it's just confusing and I'm not alone. It's free and reversable if you don't like it. Doesn't add any performance but does contribute to a more direct feel and to character...at least for me and a number of others.

If you want more sound and fury, get a cat-back or full exhaust system. There are many nice ones around and some used ones in the classifieds here from time to time.

If you have the Bose stereo, there is a subwoofer enclosure against the center tunnel on the passenger's side that is fairly easily removed. Take this out and fill it with as much poly pillow stuffing (from a craft store) as will fit. This will transform the sound of the Bose stereo and take all the boom box sound away. The highs are clearer, the mids are clearer and the bass is better defined. You can listen to it for hours now instead of minutes. A lot of people tell you they like the music of the engine and don't play the radio. Well I like the engine too, but when the stereo is decent, it's really nice to have in this car. This mod costs about $10 to do if you have a set of Torx sockets.

I have PASM on my '06. I think it's a very needed thing and looked for it specifically when I chose my Cayman S last year. PASM rides better than the stock suspension in Normal mode and gets much stiffer in Sport. It's not a perfect track suspension, but it's pretty good. You can't retrofit PASM. With stock suspension, unless you live in a state where all the roads are smooth, you probably don't want 19" or larger wheels on the car. They are barely tolerable with PASM. 18"s give a better ride/handling balance in my opinion although most of the really good looking Porsche wheels are 19's. Another plus with 18's is that the tires are less expensive and there is a better selection.

I really like round exhaust tips. I bought some of the Porsche Tequipment round tips for my car and they really make it look much better to me. The Gen 2 cars switched to round tips, so I guess I'm not crazy on this score.

I had my suspension aligned with 2 degrees negative camber on front and rear with zero toe...all four wheels. This gives the car more cornering power. With zero toe, the tires don't self destruct while you drive in a straight line. My car was a little less darty when I first did this but it had a slightly different feel. Now that the insides of the tires have worn a bit, they sit more flat on the road and the car feels more normal. Tire wear is pretty good. I'm not wearing the outside edges so much. I go to the track a few times a year and adding negative camber is really important for tire wear there. Outside edges get trashed if you don't.

Another easy thing is to drop the suspension by adding sport springs. They are stiffer and shorter. About 1" less than stock is good. Lowering the car in this way will increase negative camber and change the toe, so make sure you have an alignment done if you change springs.

Changing springs is a cheap way to get extra negative camber in front. The front is not adjustable unless you add camber plates or GT3 lower control arms. I put the arms on my car because I drive on the street a lot and really didn't want my car any lower, but I think it's probably a good way to go to just lower the car with stock non-PASM suspension.

At the top of the home page, look for Articles. Then look for Cayman Performance Mods. Most of this is in there. I think the tips and the stereo stuffing may be in appearance mods.

Have fun!

-TB

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Have you tried pushing really hard on the right foot pedal??

Seriously, after a year plus of relatively daily driving my '08 Cayman S, I'm becoming more aware of what an awesome car/drive/experience it is stock, right out of the box.

Initially, coming out of a BMW M coupe and a Honda S2000, I thought it was too disconnected and Buick-like. Over time, as I've grown more accustomed to how it drives, and driven it harder, I found it just seems to respond with more, the more you ask of it.

I've got an SRP to install, and am looking for an exhaust, and can't wait to see what a monster those changes will create.

Try driving it harder, not abusively but more like it was probably meant to be driven, and you might find it responds in kind. I've learned it's a responsive, visceral, exciting world-class sports car.

HTH. Best, Dave
Dave:

Don't install the SRP until you talk to Softronics. If you bought from them, you know that it's not helpful without the flash. Without that, it might even hurt performance. Talk to them first and get the full story.

I've got SRP and Flash with stock exhaust. It's very nice. I'm going to be selling a cat-back soon. Probably a new in box improved replacement exhaust from Milltek or maybe my TUV SpeedART from the Group Buy. PM me if either interest you. I don't have the SpeedART and haven't opened the box on the Milltek. One will go on my car and the other will be sold.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,652 Posts
Take it to the track. If you're drivng it fast enough on the street to use much of the cars capabilities you are dangerous to others.

My first mod would be camber plates. Gets rid of understeer, turns in better and is much more precise without the rubber bushings. Then I'd lower it an 1" or so, it looks and handles so much better.

Exhaust is all about the sound. All the single mode exhausts made about the same power give of take an RCH. If you think you can really feel the butt dyno difference you are fooling yourself. To make a really noticeable difference you need exhaust, plenum, software, air filter & desnork. That's a lot of money for 35 hp. If you'e gonna spend that much the turbo is a much bigger bang for the buck.

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
JezC

1.Regarding the exterior I think either the Gt-3 front bumper or the TA style front bumper makes a huge difference and a techart Rear spoiler is a must .
The dainty stock rear wing just doesnt make the rear end come together IMO .
2.Some cool looking AM 19" wheels .Favorites are BBS , Champion and the AM Turbo styled ones .
and you will need some Coilovers and swaybars for lowering and handeling just right .otherwise the car sits up toooo high .
3.Then you just add a TPC turbo .Easy as that ..A supercar made from scratch .:dance:
Good luck and have fun

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.