Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here is your build sheet content. Looks like a nice car. Has good creature comfort options, e.g. heated/power seats, good headlights, chrono, Bose. Good color combination. Only 14 records in Autocheck would imply only one or two owners. Not a lot of info in the ad. You would need to ask the seller if they have a CarFax (sometimes provides better info than AutoCheck), pay for an Autocheck if necessary. It's a dealer so they should have one or both reports.

Definitely ask questions on this one, owners, accidents, maintenance records, etc. Mileage is low. There will be some who will disagree, but I think it's a reasonable market price if it's history is good. I'm a bit prejudiced since I paid about the same for an '06 S with 42,000 miles that I'm picking up in Florida on Wednesday. It was in a color I wanted, has PASM, chrono, 19 inch wheels, etc. I have a complete maintenance history back to 2012 and probable dealer service before that and a 40,000 mile service by a known shop six months ago. Definitely get a PPI. Ask the dealer if they have a Duramatic and can run the DME overrev report. My dealer did that, so that I could make a decision to invest the money in going to the next step with a PPI.

Good luck.

2008 Porsche Cayman S
WP0AB29888U781034
Division: PCNA
Commission #: 647978

Prod Month: 10/2007
VIN: WP0AB29888U781034
Price: $65,580.00
Exterior: Basalt Black Metallic
Interior: Sand Beige Standard Leather
Warranty Start: January 31, 2008
342 Heated Front Seats
401 18" Cayman S wheel
446 Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
480 Manual transmission
639 Sport Chrono Package
680 Bose Surround Sound System
810 Floor Mats in Interior Color
P12 Self-Dimming Mirrors & Rain Sensor
P15 Power Seat Package
P74 Bi-Xenon Headlight Package
TD Sand Beige Standard Leather
Z4 Basalt Black Metallic

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow thank you for doing that. That was very helpful. In the pictures it seems to be a clean car. I'm kinda stuck on one with chrono now so it is really limited there. What color is the car you're picking up in Florida? There is one that I was looking at down there pretty hard. Where are you coming from to get your car?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Few things caught my eye. It had the bose option but as you probably noticed has an aftermarket system. Wheels are aftermarket- may be good, may be cheap. Exhaust tips, possibly mufflers? are aftermarket. Tire sizing listed is confusing- 235 front and 305 rear? Not sure how that would handle. Listing says it has PASM but it does not. Also that it has Porsche crests in the seats but does not. Other parts of the listing seem like a hodge podge , referring to Design edition and Sport editions, dash plaque, etc. However it appears to be a Cayman S. Agree with above advice to run a Carfax and get a PPI. Best of luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Good catches on your more detailed look at the car. Its was late and I was focused on build sheet. I did catch the aftermarket entertainment system but forgot to mention. I have bought a 2006 S in Seal Gray from Millenia Motors in Longwood FL. It's still on their website marked as sold. Wife and I are picking up on Wed and driving back to Waynesville NC (Asheville area).

It does look like they were a little "loose" on their specifications, listing 18 and 19 inch wheels and multiple tire sizes. These guys work from a standard list, and I suspect the preparer of the ad was a bit lazy and ignorant. Definitely a lot of ground to cover in an initial telephone conversation. Build sheet says 18 inch. These look like 19's. The critical factors for this will be service and accident history. If there's good evidence of proper service and no major issues, and you could beat them down a thousand or two, it could be a fair buy on a nice car.

I do have to mention that I noticed your info places you in California. If that's the case there are plenty of similar cars out there. If you're here in NC, excellent.

If you decide to move forward and do a PPI, I used an on-site service who uses local Porsche techs....inspectX Pre-Purchase Car Inspections..... to do a PPI on a 997 in Raleigh. Did a fantastic job with great detail. Unfortunately, the car was not what I was expecting, but it saved me the time and expense of a disappointing trip.

I'm new to the Porsche game (at age 70, former racer and current BMW guy), and do heed the advice of folks to budget at least a couple of thousand dollars for either necessary maintenance or shiny things you can't resist. My car will need no maintenance for a while, but did have an inop cooling fan and fairly worn, older (stiff) Michelins. The shop that did the PPI is fixing the fan issue on Monday and I've ordered a set of Bridgestone Pole Positions delivered there for install and alignment. If possible, I like starting from a known baseline.

Good luck.

Reactions: bucknutt76

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good catches on your more detailed look at the car. Its was late and I was focused on build sheet. I did catch the aftermarket entertainment system but forgot to mention. I have bought a 2006 S in Seal Gray from Millenia Motors in Longwood FL. It's still on their website marked as sold. Wife and I are picking up on Wed and driving back to Waynesville NC (Asheville area).

It does look like they were a little "loose" on their specifications, listing 18 and 19 inch wheels and multiple tire sizes. These guys work from a standard list, and I suspect the preparer of the ad was a bit lazy and ignorant. Definitely a lot of ground to cover in an initial telephone conversation. Build sheet says 18 inch. These look like 19's. The critical factors for this will be service and accident history. If there's good evidence of proper service and no major issues, and you could beat them down a thousand or two, it could be a fair buy on a nice car.

I do have to mention that I noticed your info places you in California. If that's the case there are plenty of similar cars out there. If you're here in NC, excellent.

If you decide to move forward and do a PPI, I used an on-site service who uses local Porsche techs....inspectX Pre-Purchase Car Inspections..... to do a PPI on a 997 in Raleigh. Did a fantastic job with great detail. Unfortunately, the car was not what I was expecting, but it saved me the time and expense of a disappointing trip.

I'm new to the Porsche game (at age 70, former racer and current BMW guy), and do heed the advice of folks to budget at least a couple of thousand dollars for either necessary maintenance or shiny things you can't resist. My car will need no maintenance for a while, but did have an inop cooling fan and fairly worn, older (stiff) Michelins. The shop that did the PPI is fixing the fan issue on Monday and I've ordered a set of Bridgestone Pole Positions delivered there for install and alignment. If possible, I like starting from a known baseline.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot guys. You guys are great. Good luck on your buy, that's really exciting. Yes I am in California but I am having a hard time finding one in manual with sports chrono that doesn't look ran to death. That's pretty much the only two real options I am concerned with. If you happen to know of one out this way that fits the bill, please let me know.

Are you planning on doing anything to your car or are you going to leave it as is for a while. I just sake across the clear glass engine cover mod last night while browsing and now that's a must have!

Good luck with your new ride.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Few things caught my eye. It had the bose option but as you probably noticed has an aftermarket system. Wheels are aftermarket- may be good, may be cheap. Exhaust tips, possibly mufflers? are aftermarket. Tire sizing listed is confusing- 235 front and 305 rear? Not sure how that would handle. Listing says it has PASM but it does not. Also that it has Porsche crests in the seats but does not. Other parts of the listing seem like a hodge podge , referring to Design edition and Sport editions, dash plaque, etc. However it appears to be a Cayman S. Agree with above advice to run a Carfax and get a PPI. Best of luck.
Good catch and thanks for taking a close look. I was going off of the description but I thought the car had PASM. However, I'm not certain where the button for it is on the 981.1. I know on the new cars all of those buttons are around the shifter bezel so I'm not exactly sure where to look for it in the pictures.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Good catch and thanks for taking a close look. I was going off of the description but I thought the car had PASM. However, I'm not certain where the button for it is on the 981.1. I know on the new cars all of those buttons are around the shifter bezel so I'm not exactly sure where to look for it in the pictures.
Look at the lowest row of buttons on the center stack. If a car has PASM there is a separate button with a little icon that looks like a shock absorber.

·
Registered
104 Posts
2006-2008 987.1
2009-2012 987.2
2014-2016 981
2017 718

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.