Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Perhaps a unique issue if not enlighten me.
Today I noticed the long hand (minute) of my cayman’s Chronometer has fallen off, not sure if it was in direct sunlight or what because it looks a bit bent too. I was wondering if there an easy way of opening the glass pane of the chronometer to pop it back on?
Any input appreciated.
Pictures included

·
Registered
215 Posts
This was a fairly common issue with the clocks used on the early 2011-2014 Cayenne. In that case the second hand came off. If you look at the hand sitting in the bottom of the dial area you'll notice it's curved. That was the problem with the second hand on the clocks. It wasn't designed correctly - and when the clock got warm (sun on it or something) the hand would bend a bit away from the dial, just far enough for the minute hand on the clock to come along and knock it off.

No real easy fix. Porsche replaced the clocks - LOTS of them under warranty and CPO. The new ones had a redesigned hand that was thicker and resistant to curling up when hot. Porsche refused to even reply when written to about the problem out of warranty. One chap on RennList tracked down someone at the German company that actually made the clock (and I'm sure your chrono) and the chap send him half a dozen replacement hands. He distributed some, he sent the rest to me, and I put one on my clock, and distributed the rest. The company refuses to even acknowledge that you've emailed them, and the chap who was helpful is no longer responsive. I suspect his sending end-users the parts they needed to fix their $400 clock violated company policy or some agreement with Porsche.

If anyone is in the plastics molding business... I suspect it's too small to make with a 3D printer - but guess you never know. The "good" hands have a rib that runs down on the back side of the hand - I'm guessing to prevent curling.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My 2011 Boxster has the same problem but in my case both hands came off. How does one go about obtaining access to replace the hands?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts